“Dont risk it!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Castle Apartments to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Castle Apartments
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Lawnmarket, Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2PB, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)   |
Ranked #137 of 177 Specialty lodging in Edinburgh
“Dont risk it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Terrible customer service, the apartments are vile and not exactly how they look on the website!!
Save your money and go elsewhere! Ruined what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away to Scotland. Awful place.
Don't try calling them either or providing them with any feedback as you will get no response.

• Stayed January 2012

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

I have previously written a review and the place was horrible, originally it was the Royal Mile apartment which apparently got water damage, the I was transferred to Annadale executive apartments, I have been in better equiped crack dens. (through my job as council house inspector) they have more cooking facilities.
The third apartment was Warden Court on the Grass market. This was also horrible, very poorly maintened very rough inside. Such a disappointment to what was going to be a lovely break with my husband.
Anyway please please if you get back as disappointed as I did, please take photos and post them on here. I would like some picture to send to trading standards. I have made a complaint to them. I did not take any pictures. (Especially Wardens court.)
I would also say that you should complain to trading standards.

• Stayed April 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was under the impression that I was getting a nice serviced apartment for my $1000 australian dollars for a week. What I got was a tiny flat/unit. The kitchenette was filthy, the lounge was covered in stains. Even if I wanted to cook, there was no table or chair to eat at. The spiral staircase had a worn rope for a hand rail. Many people staying in other flats complained that they were never told of the spiral stairs and had to ask other guests to help with their luggage. Oh yeah, I never had any service whatsoever. No cleaning, no new towels, no toilet paper (had to buy my own). It is located in a fantastic spot, right on the Royal Mile and only a 60 second walk from Edinburgh Castle. However, you could get a nicely appointed room at the Raddison Hotel the next block down, for the same price. These shonks need to be put out of business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Bad Vilbel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We booked a Castle Apartment at the Royal Mile, but were relocated on short notice to a smaller apartment a bit further away from the city centre. But this was alright, it was because of a water damage (no one can foresee this!) and the staff was were flexible and helpful to compensate us for the decrease in comfort!
Nevertheless, the smaller apartment was very cozy and agreeable in the end!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We booked with a Groupon voucher & thought we had bagged a bargain. How wrong were we ! When we arrived at reception in George St, we were given the keys to an apartment on the Royal Mile. Great we thought, so we made our way to the apartments. They did say it was up a lot of stairs but when we got there it was a winding, worn, badly lit staircase with a rope for a handrail. I couldn't even count the steps, they seemed to go on forever. I thought I was taking a coronary when I eventually got to the top. When we got to the attic room my husband could slip his fingers through the top of the door & if he had pulled it the flimsy door would've opened. The apartment was far from luxurious as advertised. The furnishings looked like they had been given away at a car bootsale. We just looked at each other & I phoned the reception straight away. They were ok about it & gave us a room @ 6 George St. This was a converted office, hence the 6 double strip lights, it was like Blackpool. To cut a very long story short, the plugs were smoking, we were plagued by bluebottles & the front door didn't lock. We were meant to stay 3 nights but couldn't sleep as there was no double glazing and with the busy road outside & the Jam House next door, it was a nightmare !!!! We were glad to get home for a sleep !!! NEVER AGAIN. We had meals booked for the 3 nights intown so we went home very disappointed. This could have been a brilliant trip if we had picked somewhere else to stay. Now I always read Tripadvisor 1st. I've learnt the hard way !!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs !!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Booked this trip through a groupon deal.we were booked into castle apartments but the day before we were meant to go we recieved a phone call to say our apartment was flooded.we were moved to a flat in broughton street. we were told that it was a 15 minute walk from offices in queen street but it was more like a half hour walk[not suitale for people with any sort of mobility issues as very hilly].

Apartments are basically an old block of flats that have been sort of done up but not to a very high standard.our flat was very clean and kitchen was new and very well equipped.On the whole it was very clean.For the money we paid it was okay.lots of hen and stag parties stay here ut we had no problems with this.We didnt recieve or champagne or burgers.When I questioned this I was told to contact Groupon.....

On the whole would I stay her again... well.....I am undecided ....if it was free or very cheap.This flat is not what I was expecting. a taxi from Princes street costs between £5 -£7 gbp.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed in this apartment on a Groupon deal. Thought we had been given the worst apartment as we paid a third of the advertised price. I see from other reviews that this is not the case. We also found the place to be dirty, in need of serious decoration and updating. The only good thing going for it, was the convenience of its position, close to The Royal Mile. Would definately not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose another company
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Apartments? Share your experiences!