The first day I arrived, I checked-in and paid a weeks accommodation up front. I got upstairs to the kitchen and was horrified at the state of it: the sinks were overflowing with disgusting water because no one wanted to clear the drains but were still using the taps and the dishes and tables were all dirty. I was regretting paying in advance but thought I'd stay one night and see what happened. The next morning, the kitchen was squeaky clean and remained so for the rest of my stay. I am a young female traveling alone and stayed 7 nights in a mixed 6-person dorm ('mixed' being me and five blokes) but for 9.50 pounds a night, it was fine. I didn't feel unsafe and the beds were comfortable and clean. Dorm mates were very considerate. Shower was good too. However, there are two buildings to the hostel and I was staying in the second building which is across the road from the reception. It does have internet (usually) but you have to go across to the main building for all common rooms (kitchen etc) which is a bit annoying. People I spoke to who were staying in the main building said it was pretty noisy at nights, so perhaps the distance was worth a quiet night. The hostel offers free walking tours which are a great way to get a sense of the city and a fabulous way to meet people. After a start which was not promising, I really enjoyed my stay and met some really great people. I would stay here again. The bar does nice cocktails and decent meals. The location is great too; you can walk absolutely everywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With over 250 beds, and located in the heart of beautiful Old Town, Budget Backpackers is one of the best places to stay in Edinburgh! All of the amenities you need including free linen, free hot showers, a self catering kitchen, and a bar/cafe! Budget Backpackers is one of the best located hostels in the city, being only a 10 minute walk from Waverly Train Station, a 2 minute walk from the Royal Mile, and the breathtaking Edinburgh Castle practically on our doorstep! There is also always something happening within the hostel, with weekly Wii and Pool Competitions, Quiz and Movie Nights, Free Walking Tours 11am daily Monday to Saturday, and our infamous Pub Crawls Monday to Friday kicking off in our very own bar! Whether you want to see the sights, make friends, party it up, or just relax, Budget Backpackers has everything you need to make your stay in Edinburgh memorable! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Budget Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Budget Backpackers Hotel Edinburgh
- Budget Backpackers Edinburgh, Scotland