“Don't jump to bad conclusions” 4 of 5 stars

Budget Backpackers
37 - 39 Cowgate, Edinburgh EH1 1JR, Scotland (Cowgate)   |
Ranked #56 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Don't jump to bad conclusions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The first day I arrived, I checked-in and paid a weeks accommodation up front. I got upstairs to the kitchen and was horrified at the state of it: the sinks were overflowing with disgusting water because no one wanted to clear the drains but were still using the taps and the dishes and tables were all dirty. I was regretting paying in advance but thought I'd stay one night and see what happened. The next morning, the kitchen was squeaky clean and remained so for the rest of my stay. I am a young female traveling alone and stayed 7 nights in a mixed 6-person dorm ('mixed' being me and five blokes) but for 9.50 pounds a night, it was fine. I didn't feel unsafe and the beds were comfortable and clean. Dorm mates were very considerate. Shower was good too. However, there are two buildings to the hostel and I was staying in the second building which is across the road from the reception. It does have internet (usually) but you have to go across to the main building for all common rooms (kitchen etc) which is a bit annoying. People I spoke to who were staying in the main building said it was pretty noisy at nights, so perhaps the distance was worth a quiet night. The hostel offers free walking tours which are a great way to get a sense of the city and a fabulous way to meet people. After a start which was not promising, I really enjoyed my stay and met some really great people. I would stay here again. The bar does nice cocktails and decent meals. The location is great too; you can walk absolutely everywhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I came to edinburgh late and was after a day of travelling was starving, luckily I found a take away open, get some food and come to the hostel to finally enjoy my awaited meal. My roommates in the four bed dorm were sleeping, so I go down to the lounge area to eat and I'm told that,since the bar is open I cannot eat my own food there, even though the bar is not serving food and there are plenty of tables empty. The kitchen area/dining room is closed, and in the end I'm told I can eat at the hostel, but I have to sit in front of the reception at the computer desk, so here I sit, together with a guy eating a snicker bar who also couldn't eat inside, listening to crappy loud music in front of the computer, watching people check in. Some people may be dirt poor and may need to save every penny, but you get what you pay for, my advice is to save up a couple of pounds extra and go to any of the much nicer hostels just around the corner.

• Stayed January 2014
Xiamen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

maybe I had it coming, but I was optimistic. for 8.5 pounds, I got a bunk in a 30-bed dorm. it reeked of smelly feet but it wasn't so bad. my main problem lies with the fact that a drunk couple came in the middle of the night and banged on the bed right beside mine. Although they tried their best to not make so much noise, I still think it inappropriate to make schlick schlick in-out in-out noise inside a dormitory with other people in it. the staff, though not cold, were not so warm either. considering the fact that they're not balding/menopausal 60-year-olds, I expected some cheerful, smiling fellows. but I was welcomed with a straight face, and for the first time in my stay in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I was asked for my credit card details. for renting a 8.50 quid bunk in a 30-bed dorm. They said something like "in case I break anything in the room...". I still don't know what it is very precious in that room that I can possibly, accidentally break.

Room Tip: unless you're desperate, look for other hostels in the area.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Really awesome hostel. Loved the free walking tours offered, open mic nights in the bar and the kitchen was one of the best I've seen at a hostel. Located right in the Grassmarket near to good eats and pubs. Close to the Castle, Royal Mile, museums and a supermarket too. 30 bed dorm was fine, split into two levels so nowhere near as bad as you'd imagine.”

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hostel has one of the best locations in Edinburgh. Only being a 5 minute walk from the royal mile it made getting around really easy. The staff for the most part are quite friendly however, I have never seen a longer line for people checking in in all my life. It was not that there was a crowd of travelers checking in, it was more the reception staff taking far to long to check people in. Aside from this though the kitchen and bathroom facilities are world class, as are the dorms which are the most spacious and relaxing in nearly all of Europe.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hilversum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a great hostel with very friendly staff!

I stay here every time I go to Edinburgh, which is about twice a year, and I wouldn't go back to any of the other places.

Main reasons being;
- it's clean, both the rooms and the toilets / showers
- the staff take care of problems. I had a guy smoking weed in my dorm for example and they handled it immediately.
- great service. One time I booked a private room with my boyfriend but he broke up with me a couple of days before the trip.I phoned the hostel, explained the situation and they could easily give me another room.
- great location. It's in the very centre of town with the Royal Mile and the Grassmarket around the corner.
- entertainment.There's always something going on so it's ideal if you're travelling alone for instance.
- food. The food served downstairs is cheap and very nice indeed.They also have a self-service kitchen to make your own grub.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The location of the hostel is very good, located only 5-10 minutes from Edinburgh Waverly - the main train station in the city. The staff were very helpful and were very insightful in regards to the events occurring in the city. We were there during the Hogmany festival. The bar/common room area had a very social atmosphere and it was easy to interact with other people.

The main faults were the showers that were very sporadic when it came to the temperature of the water.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Budget Backpackers? Share your experiences!