“Not as bad as I imagined!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brodie's Hostel

You added Brodie's Hostel to your Saves list
Brodie's Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   93 High St | Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1TB , Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #150 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Innsbruck, Austria
“Not as bad as I imagined!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

After reading all those reviews, I was quite worried that I made the wrong decision to come to this hostel. However, when I entered the hostel, I find it doesn't really smell bad. The staff are very helpful and friendly and they gave me many good suggestions about what to do in Edinburgh. I told one of the staff that I would like to visit Isle of Skye and asked him for suggestions for the route and so on and he gave me many helpful advice, and then I found out that he's actually the owner of the hostel and he's from the Isle of Skye :D

The location of the hostel is very good (at the middle of Royal Mile) and close to lots of shops and restaurants. It's true that it can be noisy because of the cars and tourists passing by but I guess most of the hotels/hostels along Royal Mile have to face this problem. I always have the habit to bring a pair of ear plugs with me when I travel so they've really helped. Concerning the price and location, I think this is quite a good value for money!

Best point is the chat with the owner. He's really friendly and sincere. He's very open-minded and welcoming different cultures. I can see he has a huge passion communicating with the guests though in the beginning he appeared to be quite shy. I really enjoyed our talk and it was a highlight of my stay in Edinburgh :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

OK, the rooms were ok in size but it smelled horribly of wet, chlorine and toilets. Of the four available showers on our level one had hardly any water coming out, another one had an overflowing drain and the other two had broken lightbulbs. Apart from the smell and the bathrooms the windows could only be opened a tiny little bit, so there was also no chance of a breath of fresh air. By the way, I couldn't sleep at all for my skin wouldn't stop itching - something that never happened before. Also the kitchen and especially the fridge are places you better don't look at - and if you have to, try to not smell anything...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is the second time I stayed at Brodies as my firdt experience went generally well. However, the second time arpund I was terribly disappointed because the place has just gone below standards of a comfortable accomodation. The double deck beds appeared unsafe (my friend has an accident when one of the steel frames of the ladder fell off), the toilet and shower facilities were not well-maintained (in fact they have run out of toilet paper for residents to use) and the general feel of the place is no longer inviting. The advantages of this place are it prime location and price, but it is not suitable and ideal if you are looking for a pleasant, comfortable and home away from home type of accommodation. I would bot recommend it and I would stay elsewhere in Edinburgh next time.

Stayed July 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Do not recommend! Corridor smelled like urine, toilets were disgusting with no FLUSH. WiFi costs 3 pounds per device! Couldn't believe it as the cheapest hostels in China have free WiFi. The staff at the reception not friendly at all, didn't offer any help with exploring the city. The worst hostel I have ever been to! They should start with cleaning the place. Absolutely filthy place. Will be reporting this place to the health and safety authorities!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have mixed feelings on this place. On one hand it was cheap. On the other hand it could've been kept up a lot better. For example the light in my room didn't work as well as some of the showers. But again when you stay in a hostel, looking for cheap cost and a place to stay in, this delivers on both. You will just have to put up with some other things that usually do not outweigh the cost and inconvenience.

But with a great location, they just have to put a little more effort into it and it can be a great place!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Edinburgh in a wonderful city but I will not recommend this place. We espended some very good time in the Whiski bar right beside de hostel.
- They need to put more power sockets on the room;
- The toilets were really dirty when we arrived late night;
- To much noise from the street if front of it;
- Service was ok but they could be nicer;
- It is really cheap, but anyway we are paying;
- Location is perfect.
Do not recommend the place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This hostel has a good location and all amenities which should come with a hostel. The downfall is that nothing is free. Prices are set by date, not availability (Fridays and Saturdays cost more). The wifi costs 3£ per day, lockers cost more, and towels must be bought (not rented for a deposit). The kitchen and common area is nice, but in the end the lack of free WIFI is what kills this place in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Brodie's Hostel? Share your experiences!