“Gorgeous House , Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 2 Fingal Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
2 Fingal Place
You added 2 Fingal Place to your Saves list
2 Fingal Place, Edinburgh EH9 1JX, Scotland   |
Ranked #257 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Gorgeous House , Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed at this gorgeous Georgian house for 3 nights in the end of May. It is located in the south side of Meadow Park, quiet and friendly neighborhood area, yet convenient to go to downtown Edinburgh. The house is very beautiful! I enjoyed looking at the period antiques and paintings. I had a nice twin room with ensuite bathtub and shower. The room was perfect: a nice garden view through the window, clean and warm. The newly replaced bed was very comfortable. Gillian and Rita gave me a delicious breakfast. I loved homemade jam and marmalade. I felt so special to have a breakfast in the fine chinaware at the elegant dinning room.
From the time of the booking through my departure, Gillian was helpful and thoughtful. I appreciated her understandings and hospitality. I would definitely go back to stay next time I go to Edinburgh. Highly recommend B&B.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Glossop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Mum & I started our trip around Scotland at 2 Fingal Place. Beautiful house in a great location only about 10 minutes walk into Edinburgh. We had a lovely twin room with ensuite bathroom. Rita the housekeeper looked after us as Gillian was away on holiday, and cooked us a great breakfast on both days. The only improvement would have been to have heating on the first night, and cups & milk in the room particularly when we came back from a long day exploring the city. But we enjoyed our stay, it was a very nice start to our magical trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Reedley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks, and would go back anytime. Gillian gave us lots of advice for places to see, and great breakfasts. The rooms were very comfortable and we pretty much had the run of the house, just like home with none of the work.. We loved it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

2 Fingal Place, while being a georgeous Georgian house overlooking the Meadows is also the proprietor, Gillian home and with that comes all the warmth, graciousness and kind consideration she extends to her guests. Gillian is also a certified tour guide so she knows alot and shares willingly!
I began my day in the formal dining room looking out at the meadows with a very delicious and generous hot cooked breakfast. The fireplace added such a lovely atmosphere, as I had come in February which is not the most welcoming season in Edinburgh but still worth the trip.
I walked the city everyday and always looked forward to returning to my warm and cozy room where I could rest my bones on an incredibly comfortable bed and enjoy a hot tea with homemade shortbread. Gillian always welcomed me to go upstairs and relax in the elegant and spacious drawing room where I could read or just enjoy the veiw of the meadows.
I loved staying here. I had the best of both worlds because the house is in a residential area so I could enjoy the quiet but at the same time I could walk a short distance to museums, theatres, Old Town, the University and Princes Street. I would imagine this to be a great location during The Festival in August when after all the theatre and celebrating you might want to leave the fray to go rest and restore for the next adventure!
The #41 bus is conveniently across the street and its route is central to city destinations.
There is also a lovely little neighborhood just around the corner to your left and to your right just a few blocks away along the Meadows is a really good cafe and gourmet shop.
I lucked out really because I choose this place for its location near my daughter whom I was visiting at the University, but now that I've discovered this treasure it will be my home away from home in Edinburgh!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Imagine stepping back in time, to your own Georgian townhouse, a lovely courtyard garden through your bedroom window, a beautiful, spacious park across the street. 2 Fingal Place goes beyond the classic description of a B&B: it is an elegant period house filled with antiques, paintings, and warmth.

It is well-situated, a short walk across The Meadows park to the excitement of the Edinburgh Festival in August, the Royal Mile, and the castle, yet positioned off the main street so that there is no noise from traffic or loud pedestrians. The rooms are tastefully decorated in that classic British/Scottish fashion with rich, heavy drapes from ceiling to floor, fresh flowers, and a range of styles and prices to accommodate various tastes. I have stayed in two different rooms in two different seasons in very comfortable beds, plenty of heat, and the biggest blessing to the weary traveler, peace and quiet.

The cooked-to-order breakfast is served in a beautifully appointed formal dining room, a cheerful fire in the wintertime, a view of the park carpeted in crocus and daffodils in the spring. Breakfast is so substantial you’ll be lucky if you are hungry by dinner time.

But the one thing that sets 2 Fingal Place far and above other B&Bs is its owner Gillian Charlton-Meyrick, a Blue Badge Guide with a wealth of information and endless stories of local color. In addition to English, she speaks French and Italian, and has lived and traveled all over the world. No one I know in this business cares more than Gillian about the comfort and well-being of her guests. She always “goes the extra mile” to make sure that they are as well-taken care of as if they were her own personal friends. And that is exactly the point: I will return again and again to a place where I am so genuinely welcomed, time after time. This type of hospitality is priceless.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

What a surprise! Not sure what I expected but I did not expect to be walking through hordes of crocus to get to my room at Fingal Place.This is a nice cosy guest house on the edge of Edinburgh's Meadows. A big park in the centre of the city. Room was comfortable and I was fortunate to be given a spaceous twin room with an ensuite bathroom. Very traditional interior. Simple, clean and thankfully very warm (It was very cold in Edinburgh last week). Good breakfast and a made friends with a charming dog called Noodles. Perhaps the highlight was sitting in the upstairs living room chatting to Gillian, my host, about Edinburgh and Scotland. She is a blue badge guide and a gold mine of useful information. If I win the lottery I might think about a small flat in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed at this B&B during our roadtrip around Scotland. We learned about this place through Alastair Sawday's Special Places and, although we couldn't find any reviews on it, we gave it a try because of its excellent location next to Meadows Park in Edinburgh, and short 10-15 minute walk to the old town and castle.

Gorgeous house! We had the twin room in the basement/lower ground floor which had an ensuite bathtub and shower. It had a garden view and was very quiet but was dark since it was on the lower ground floor. The mattresses were very old and terribly lumpy and uncomfortable. For the 90 pounds that we paid for the room - we weren't pleased with the beds and it was not good value

Our friends stayed in a small double room on the first floor which had a separate bathroom containing a bath tub but no shower (for those only used to taking showers, it wasn't convenient). The room was extremely small (cheaper at 75 pounds) - it was basically a single sized room that contained a double sized bed with only enough space for a skinny person to walk around the bed. Their room also faced the garden and very quiet. The room was probably too small for two people to share but I guess fine for just one night.

We didn't have any breakfast at the house since we had a very early departure the next day, although Rita, the housekeeper did offer to make us tea/coffee in the morning and provide cereal.

Well located B&B but not good value considering the uncomfortable rooms and beds. Would recommend to those looking for a well located, quiet B&B but not to those seeking comfort.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
fingal2, Owner at 2 Fingal Place, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
You will be pleased to note that the offending mattresses have been replaced and the beds restored to their original glory not to mention comfort.

Been to 2 Fingal Place? Share your experiences!