“needs to sharpen up” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlton Hotel

You added The Carlton Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1SD, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #123 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“needs to sharpen up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Whilst the location is great, the beds comfortable and the bathroom clean, the room was horrendously overheated with no way to ventilate it and the breakfast was expensive and very disappointing. A substandard buffet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Graham T, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Sarah M

Thanks very much for placing your review.

It was good to read that you had enjoyed the accommodation, but I note that you found the room a bit warm . The weather has been hot recently, and our air cooling system can struggle a bit in the hotest days, and we are reveiwing the delivery of cooler air to the bedrooms when required.

Sorry you did not enjoy breakfast, we acknowledge it is the most important meal of the day, and we are continuing to review.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of being of service to you again at some stage in the future.

Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location near the train station and the old town, staff were friendly and efficient, bedrooms are comfortable and clean but very warm, breakfast was ok but being in Scotland was disappointed they did not serve square sausage haggis is not for everyone at breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Lesleycra

Thanks very much for posting a great 4 star review.

I was very pleased to read that you were comfortable in your room, and that you found it to be clean. Thank you very mch for being so nice about the team.

Thanks also for your note about breakfast, we are constantly reviewing and will take you suggestion on board.

We do hope to be of service to you again at some stage in the future.

Best regards.

Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Public areas of this hotel need a re-vamp. It looks like it hasn't been done up since the nineties and therefore looks really tired. The restaurant was like a cafeteria and the food matched the decor. Poor quality. Does not look or feel like a 4 star hotel.

Dear RCS68

Thanks for placing your review.

Actually the hotel was refurbished in this centuary, certainly much later than the ninties. Sorry you do not like our public areas: anecdotally, most people who express an opinion do.

However, the hotel company is very new, and plans are moving apace with our development plans. In the meantime, we remain an AA 4 star hotel with a quality rating of 74%.

I do hope that at some stage in the future, we will have the privelage of being of service to you again.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Too stuffy, too grubby, too broken, definitely not 4 star, and overpriced by a country mile - worst hotel I've ever stayed in. There is nothing to recommed this hotel, and on top of all of the aforementioned the fire alarms went off at 3:00am and there was no sensible plan of evacuation once we'd hit the pavements - utter chaos, and fire alarm a false one which when you read the reviews (why didn't I do that beforehand?) are a common occurrence.

Dear FreedomCyclist

Thanks very much for placing your review.

I belive that we have alraedy been in correspondence through your agent, and may I refer you to the response as supplied.

However, I'm sorry that we did not reach your expecations, we are a very busy hotel, at the cusp of great changes via our new hotel company, and I do hope that we can be of service to you again at some stage in the future.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Fantastic location right in the heart of the old town and close to the station, nice rooms and good value. Didn't have time for breakfast but would have had I had time - it looked nice .Recommended and would stay again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Graham T, Guest Relations Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear John G

Thanks very much for posting a 5 star review.

It was good to read your comments, I I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Dartford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Second visit 18 months after ,my first. Less impressed this time. Lovely Reception area and very helpful and pleasant staff. The problem is that the rooms are really tired. Two cardinal errors last night - first I arrived in the early evening on a very hot day and my room was literally like a furnace. The aircon didnt work and I opened all the windows before going out for dinner. The temperature was only just tolerable all night. Second issue was my kettle was broken so I missed my in room cuppa. The location is great and I was less botheerd by noise this time as I was on the fifth floor but these are just not 4 star rooms. I will still use the hotel as the location is great and all I do is sleep in it, but it is tired.

Dear Ybabobmij

Many thanks for placing your review.

I was sorry to read that you were less comfortable that you had been before due to the temperature and the kettle situation.

I was glad to read that you will contunue to vist us, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Central for shops etc. in New Town (10-15 mins walk) and just off Royal Mile. A fairly big, standard 4 star in a touristy city. I was here for business, nothing flash but ok. Kind of them to find me a different room when I said I didn't want to be open the 5th floor. I got off to a bad start though when I rang to ask if I needed taxi from station, was told no, there is an entrance door under bridge at back of station (Market St entrance), there is, but it's a bit like the worst bit of an old multi story carpark with 4 floors of stone steps to reception). As a woman arriving alone, I wasn't at all keen on this entrance and didn't use it again. But if you don't mind, it will save you a small taxi fare (cost £3.50 cab on way back from front entrance). V friendly reception staff. Didn't eat breakfast or dinner so can't comment. Room was hot at night, didn't have AC. I wouldn't choose this for a special weekend, but did its job fine for work.

Dear fennelseed43

Thanks for placing you review.

Sorry about the confusion. It looks like you have climbed the "Scotsman steps" up to North Bridge rather than entering our hotel at minus 4 and using the lift.

Otherwise thanks very much for the generally positive review, and we hope that we can be of service to you again at some stage in the future.

Graham

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!