“Best Hotel in the UK to stay at!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apex International Hotel

You added Apex International Hotel to your Saves list
Apex International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 - 35 Grassmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2HS, Scotland (Grassmarket)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Great Deal:Save up to 30%
Ranked #63 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wales
“Best Hotel in the UK to stay at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Fantastic... where do I start? Booked this hotel as a birthday surprise for my partner. As we were only in Edinburgh for 36 hours I wanted to make the best of our stay. When making the booking I made a request if it was possible to have a room with a view of the castle and a balcony. As very often when making a request to an hotel there are no gaurantees that your request would be made. Mine were and more!!!! Not only did we have a room with a view and balcony, which had a table and four chairs on which was great for morning coffee, but there was also a birthday card for my partner, box of chocolates and vouchers for complimentary drinks in the bar and free car parking. In addition to this the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The only down side for us two things, one the room was a little small which meant when I was using the dressing table my partner either had to climb on the bed to pass me or indeed I would need to get up and move my chair in order to let him pass and two it lacked air conditioning. Would this put me off staying there again...NO WAY! Indeed I have looked for Apex hotels in other cities and sadly I have managed to find only three, Edinburgh, Dunee and London. WELL DONE AND THANKYOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE AT APEX INTERNATIONAL!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
co.down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I booked this hotel at the last min ,glad i did it was brill,my wife and i were over for our wedding anniversary and the tatoo our room looked up to the castle staff very friendly great base to operate from will stay again in fact hope to stay before christmas

York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel on business at least a dozen times over the past two years, so often in fact that the desk staff now recognise me. I chose to stay here because of the location and the general facilities (although its always a little hot). However, I won't be going back! The cancellation policy has changed from just a few hours to 5 days! Business meetings are occasionally cancelled at short notice so I had to change my booking from August to September and imagine my horror to be told that I would have to pay for the original booking as it was within the 5 day cancellation period. Apparently they were unable to rebook the room (In the middle of the Festival season?). I realise that the cancellation is my fault but no allowance seemed to be made for the intention to rebook or my previous history with this company. Needless to say the September booking has been make elsewhere and the hotel has been taken off our preferred list.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Annan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed at the this Hotel despite the reviews saying the hotel was unbearably hot. There was a problem with these reviews, They UNDER-STATED the problem. The corridors, the rooms, even the lift. You cannot escape the heat! We stayed in a suite, paid alot of money and did not sleep for two nights.

The food was great, (although they had no bread for toast at breakfast, bizarre), the staff are all lovely and they've heard all the "heat" complaints before. The even tried to give us a small fan from the pound shop to help.

If you value your comfort and more importantly your sleep, do not even contemplate this hotel. Just move on, choose somewhere else in Edinburgh. It's a great city and you'll have a great time.

I complained but have heard nothing, not a peep.

preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the is hotel for two nights to celebrate our anniversary. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, rooms are a good size ,clean with modern ensuite bathrooms. In particular the beds were very soft and comfortable. We used both restaurants in this hotel and enjoyed the food, plently of choice. The leisure facilites were very good too and helped us to relax and enjoy our stay further more. We didn't take our children with us for obvious reasons but they did seem to cater well for familys with various activities and equipment for kids. Hotel is in the most perfect locate for sightseeing, with great vierws of Edinburgh castle , not to mention the great choice of bars and restaurants right across the street. All in all highly recommended.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night with my 5 year old niece as we were spending a couple of days in Edinburgh as a birthday treat for her. Booked a double double room which my niece loved as had a large bed each. Great hotel for kids - dvd rental, castle view, swimming pool, kids eat free in metro restaurant and great kids menu, central location and staff very good with kids (they even remembered my nieces name!)
Would definetly go back to this hotel however although we had 2 double beds there were only 2 of us but wouldn't be much room to move if there were 4 adults.
Rooms need air-conditioning as they were very hot. There were large windows but unfortunately in our room they wouldn't open-had to get reception guy to come up and open them and when he did eventually get a window open I couldn't close it. Not much good when there were people out on the street singing at 3am! However I did request a castle view so I suppose you have to expect noise from the street and my niece loved being able to see the castle.
Would certainly recommend this hotel not only because of its location but also the excellent services and facilities-we loved the sweets and pringles in the room and also the cute rubber duck in the bath!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pattaya, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Having tried to book into the new Mossini hotel which was doing a stay 3 pay for 2 deal, my agent was unable to get it for me. So I ended up here, paying £575 for 3 nights in a double room, with breakfast. The location of the hotel is first class, having stayed at the sister hotel next door on several occassions I knew it would be suitable. My double room (5026) has poor views, echoing street noise, no air con, no mini bar or safe. This is only my first night, but having a room which is 9 ft x 11 ft, for the main part with no storage drawers, they obviously don't expect guests to stay for long. It seems very hit or miss on the quality of room you get, based on other reviews, for me the travelodge would have been a much more cost effective proposition, with definately a larger room. I have yet to experience the service or restaurant so have marked them as average just now.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Apex International Hotel? Share your experiences!