Just back from a 3 night stay in this hotel. It was the first time staying here, having previously stayed at the Apex City hotel closeby. Check-in was speedy enough, however, although we paid for breakfast for the 3 days in advance at check-in, this was not conveyed to the staff at breakfast and we were asked for payment again each day. We were also not given the £10 voucher promised when booking directly with the hotel.
The bar area was fine, although there seemed to be a distinct lack of seats. We ate there on the first evening, ordering our food at about 5.30 to take advantage of the 2 meals for £20, however when the bill came we were charged the full price.
We had breakfast early on the first morning, and whilst I think the staff were trying to be attentive, it felt as if they were hovering at our shoulders the entire time. We ordered the full scottish breakfast, which came to our table almost immediately, while we were still eating a bowl of cereal. We had to hold our cereals and eat them from our hands rather than having the bowls on the table, as there was not enough room to set the breakfast plate elsewhere while we finished eating the cereal.
Breakfast on the other days were fine, although a bit of a wait for the hot food on the Saturday, probably due to the business of the breakfast room at that time.
The room was fine, absolutely no view, other than the back of other buildings, and bathroom was fine. It had a large shower cubicle and a bath, which was great. We didn't use the spa or pool, but my boyfriend used the gym, which was perfectly fine, although it was small so if there was more than say 4 people in it, it would be cramped.
The only other issue was housekeeping. We had gone out for a full day, and on leaving that morning the houskeeping trolley was sitting outside our room. When we returned at approx 5pm, the trolley was still sitting there. I had just undressed for a shower when there was a knock on the door requesting entrance to clean the room. I explained that I was about to have a shower and he said he would give me half-an-hour then he would come back. I therefore felt extremely rushed to get ready for a night out! In the end I ended up getting dressed again and going to sit in the bar for a while, while he cleaned the room. Not great at all!
All in all, an ok stay. I probably wouldn't go back if I was able to book at room at the Apex City, as we much prefered it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Edinburgh’s old town, this contemporary four star hotel has 169 stylish rooms, many with panoramic views of the castle and city skyline. Designed for comfort, the rooms include 42 inch wide screen LCD TV, large desk, free Wi-Fi and local calls, tea and coffee, luxury toiletries, iron and ironing board. Facilities include restaurant, bar, meeting and event space for up to 250 delegates, and pool, tropicarium and gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Apex International Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex International Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland