“Clean, brilliant breakfast, great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First

You added Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First to your Saves list
Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   18 Holyrood Park Rd., University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH165AY, Scotland   |
Ranked #49 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Clean, brilliant breakfast, great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

A group of fourteen women stayed here in June 2012 for a long weekend of sightseeing and partying. The rooms are basic but clean and very quiet for a nights sleep. The breakfast was outstanding, it was worth the stay for that alone! The surrounding area of Pollock halls is beautiful and on our sunny weekend it meant we could sit outside and catch some rays before getting ready to go out.

Overall a great experience and definitely somewhere I would stay again if in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Within walking distance of the Old Town and Arthur's Seat, Pollock Halls provides excellent value if you're travelling on a budget. My single room was exactly that - a single bed with en suite toilet/shower. The room provided all I really needed - a place to sleep at night. Breakfast was included, which made the value even better. I also purchased dinner at the dining hall on several evenings. Both were in buffet format and provided more than enough selection to satisfy every taste. Having rented a bicycle while I was in Edinburgh, I was pleased for find more than adequate facilities for lock it up for the night without bringing it up to my room. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within a 10-15 minute walk. The residences were very quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I decided to go to Edinburgh in the summer kind of on the fly, and since I hadn't saved much money, needed to be frugal about things. This was a perfect fit. The room was a decent size (we got separate rooms, so mine was a single) and well maintained. It was definitely nicer than the dorms from my undergrad years, and larger, as well. I was terrified about sharing a bathroom, but since I am an early riser, I made it in before anyone else and was rewarded with a clean bathtub. My only two issues were the lighting in the bathroom, which gave the atmosphere of a seedy murder scene, and the reusable paper bath mats, the very idea of which is completely perplexing to me. While the bathroom was not steeped in luxury, it was actually clean and I did not feel like I was in danger of picking up any flesh-eating bacteria, so it gets a thumbs-up from me. I was also a fan of the free breakfast buffet (which I'm noticing is probs gonna be how I decide where to stay from now on). The food was okay, but more delicious because it was free. The location was solid, too. I'm a big walker, so the extra 5 min to get to the center of the city was fine by me (in fact, it was welcome since I needed to walk off all that free breakfast). I would definitely stay here again - in fact, if I go back to Edinburgh, I'm definitely staying here again. Also, btw, I actually stayed in August 2011, but that wasn't an option.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Basic, clean twin room with en-suite facilities. Really good value. The staff in reception were very welcoming and helpful. The breakfast was amazing so much choice! The journey into the city centre is walkable through holyrood park, but if you prefer the bus then the service is excellent and cheap. Wish I had known that the commonwealth pool is next door, I would have packed my cossie! Would use again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Chandlers Court, maybe other halls do not have en-suite facilities.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We liked everything about Chancellor's Court during our 10-day stay, knowing that these are essentially dormitory accomodations (with very welcome private baths.) Our only negative impression was from the rather inhospitable woman in charge of the Reception desk. Surprising, as this is a University organization that vigorously promotes its hospitality services to the general public. The cafeteria operation is outstanding in every way, by the way, and bus service into town is good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I can’t comment on whether this represents valve for money as we were a party of 250 who had used a travel company who specialised in transporting and arranging accommodation for large groups of people. We stayed for 4 nights over the Aug bank holiday.

I was in a single room in Turner house which I understand had been refurbished compared to Grant house. The room was a reasonable size with tea and coffee facility’s, table, double wardrobe, sink and two bath towels. The bedding was changed on the third day and the towels every 2 days.
It was shared bathroom facilities but that I didn’t find that a problem and the place is spotlessly clean. Breakfast was buffet style and there was a great choice to suit everyone. There is a bar, a shop and 24 hr reception and the grounds well kept with good views of Arthur’s seat.

There was a major water leak which wasn’t the fault of Pollock halls and our block was without water for 24 hrs, so we used Lee house for showers etc. Arriving back from the Tattoo at 1am we were issued with bottles of water and then van arrived at our block with more bottles. I did feel for the staff on reception who were getting grief from guests but unable to do anything.

There was a little noise a couple of nights but it is quite a big campus and if you stayed at any hotel you could encounter noise especially on a weekend.

There are good bus links to the city centre and I would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Pollock Halls for 4 nights during the Fringe (Chancellors Court) & it worked out perfectly! Most economical choice during the Fringe w/o staying at a Hostel. It is a dormitory so our room with 2 twin beds was simple but certainly a larger room than we found at a 5 star hotel in London! Breakfast was plentiful & we stocked up on fruit for the rest of the day! Beautiful view of Arthur's Seat & bus stop to the city was a short walk.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First? Share your experiences!