“Disappointing to say the least” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh

You added St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh to your Saves list
St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   9-13 Market Street, Edinburgh EH1 1DE, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #83 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
“Disappointing to say the least”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked the St Christophers Inn after staying at the Amsterdam one in April. It was a very different experience. Aside from the location this place doesn't have much going for it.
The biggest annoyance was the shower not working in the room which meant a trip to the 4th floor to shower.
The staff were not helpful in the slightest. Miserable is not a strong enough word. So much so we didn't bother to complain about the mouse in the mouse in the room that decided to introduce itself on the 2nd night.
Won't be staying here again. And has put me off the St Christophers Inn chain.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
galway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hostel on Thursday night 12-9-2013.The first impression I got as soon as I opened the door was"this place is badly in need of a bit of renovation.The two female staff member who worked the reception(if you could call it that)were very friendly chatty and very helpful and have a good understanding of any tourist who is new to Edinburgh.I went up stairs to the locker room,the chill room next to it was humid and muggy and had no window to let in some fresh air,its smelt bad too and was very small for the number of people who stay at the hostel at any one time.The toilets on the same floor looked clean,but the room itself stank on urine.The stairs was badly in need of painting it looked more like something used as a back exit stairs rather than a main stairs.There was a kitchen on one of the upstirs floors which was not used by the people staying in the hostel.There was a glass panel on the kitchen door so I looked in and saw a guy preparing food with no proper headgear dredlocks also handing down as he prepared the food.I don't know what exactly this kitchen was used for,I can only assume it was for the bar downstairs,I can tell you if you saw what I saw when I looked in to the kitchen you would not eat from it.The kitchen looked filthy dirt also.The room I stayed in was nice and clean I must say and I shared it with a very nice group of people both male and female,the were a few chairs and a table in the room which was unusual but it was great as we chatted for hours and had a few drinks before retiring for the night.The next morning I went down to the bar area for breakfast which was included in the price.I came into the breakfast room at 9.15 and was told breakfast was finished at 9am.....there were two male members of staff working in the breakfast room at the time.One was clearing the tables and stacking the dishes the other was behind the counter.The staff member behind the counter told me the breakfast was over and I would have to order from a another menu whhich I would have to pay for.His manner was quite choppy and arrogant to the point where I became annoyed,I explained that I was told breakfast was from 7-10 and not 9,he then verbally quetioned as what my reason for not coming down at 9 am,I then mentioned "putting a review on trip advisor" I also said I was not gonna stay another night at the hostel ,he soon changed his tune and his chin dropped,he then asked me if I would like coffee or tea and if I would like some bread.I got some coffee and musli with milk.The coffee was fine but the musli was tastless.I was on a four day trip of Edinburgh,This was thankfully the only part of the holiday that was bad.The attitude of that guy when you are on holidays,you don't need that.I checked out and spent the rest of holiday at The Hostel in HayMarket where things were so much better,there was also a kitchen there where one could make a cup of tea,whereas one could not at St Christopers Inn.

Room Tip: The room I stayed at was fine
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

In my particular case I have chosen the St. Christopher for a very simple reason - to have a cheap four night stay at the hostel and to have my time for sightseeing and doing my job around the city. Generally speaking, you have everything in a 10-bed room for a 4-day stay - from passers by, students who are desperately seeking for accommodation through strangers like me. However, what I am saying is that despite the problems, like the difficult to operate showers, in case you are not looking for a push-button solution you may find your way to do things. The pros to stay at this hostel is that the bed linen is sustained clear, and in general the visitors are not putting their nose in your business. The cons are that this is not a five-star hotel. The last one is also a pro for the hostel as it simply means - If you need a five-star service then you should probably collect your staff and go to your desired location - let's say the other side of the street. Ultimately, Edinburgh is a place with so many things to see that neither the old building where the hostel is located or your strange roommates are the things you have to carry about. Again, in case you carry too much - just stay at 5-star hotel and mind your business. Thumbs up for the hostel, staff, location and everything! God bless!

Room Tip: If you are in a 10-bed room you'd rather use the public showers, because the showers are just wh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is very seasy to rach, and its in the Edinburgh center near opposite train station and bus stop from airport. The Edinburgh people is care and the city very nice. There are a lot of free city tour, and the Castle visit is very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I chose this hostel because of its location - right across from the central train station and mere blocks from all the Edinburgh attractions.

I know a hostel is ultra-low budget and the location is great but I really expected better. We did get a family room with a private bathroom and it was adequate (barely) for our needs, but it shouldn't have cost $200/night.

We really had no problems with the old building, the slow elevators, and the overall shabbiness of the hostel, we expected some of that.

The erratic hot water heater in the shower was very annoying - we either got scalded or frozen.

Service is inconsistent, one desk clerk was extremely helpful, the other was indifferent. But again that's to be expected at a place which doesn't employ professional hotel staff.

Overall, I'd say the place had the feel of an American hotel run by Indians/Pakistanis, like a run-down Motel 6. I think the room should have cost no more than half what they charged us.

Knowing what I know now, I'd choose another place to stay in Edinburgh.

Note: the ratings I give for the various categories are based on my expectations of low budget lodging - minimal service & amenities but some basics should not be sacrificed for cost.

Room Tip: The family room on the 5th floor was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I understand standards of budget hostels but what matters to me is the service and clealiness., comfortable rooms is aslo important.. The bar is the ground floor so noisy, elavator is too slow, old, and dirty! Not impressive at all. We were not allowed to check in even if the room is ready.. They will tell you lies that mo vacant rooms even if there is.,,

• Stayed July 2013
Coloumbus Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We decided to book 2 nights at this hostel at the end of a 14 day tour of England and Scotland. The location is great. Right across from the train station and around the corner from plenty of places to eat and things to do. The negatives: we booked a private room with bath for myself and my husband. It was on the top floor and the elevator stopped on the floor below. The shower was tiny and we could not regulate the water temperature.Scalding hot or cold were what you got. The bed was awful and the sheets and blankets were ratty. Also no TV service on the top floor. It, like the elevator only went to the 4th floor. We paid $300 for the 2 nights. The bar downstairs was OK and the breakfast was minimal but OK. Staff was helpful. On Sunday night we did not get much sleep with all the yelling and partying outside. No air conditioning so you have to leave the one window open, especially being on the top floor,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh? Share your experiences!