“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 187 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Manchester
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

VERY well placed. Outside the station, just off the Royal Mile. Lovely staff, very secure (key cards to get into both your room and the corridor which your room is on)
Rustic, but clean, well kept, modern security and a great atmosphere.
I liked that there was breakfast, it was basic but I dont eat big breakfasts so.
The only criticism I would say relates to the paid lockers. The staff were really happy for us to check out but use the lockers until our train and they would then take us back up to collect them. However the problem lies in what they do when theres not enough lockers for everyone. They do let you leave them on site locked away which is very good of them considering you've checked out but I do think they need a proper way of linking owner to bag other than someones word. Its not difficult to issue tickets & tags the way they do in hotels I feel?

Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Would go for smaller dorm (eg 4 person) bit more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was excited when I got here to find that the cost of this was less than I thought. I have been in a mixed bedroom for many nights in other hostels and was surprised to find this to be all female. Also it was only 6 instead of twenty other people. Sounds wonderful right??? 4th floor and no working elevator which I found hard after a full day of sight seeing. Breakfast was included and that made the elevator forgivable. It would be nice if it had a kitchen but a microwave we can make do with. I would recommend this place, the subway and buses are within a block. How convenient is that?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely LOVED my stay at St Christopher's in Edinburgh. Amazing location and super easy to find from anywhere. A shuttle from the airport takes you literally to the front door! Staff were really friendly and cool and having the bar/cafe downstairs is every travellers dream for cheap food and drink. The shared dorms are nothing special, just a bed and some lockers, but they're clean and what more could you want really. The breakfast included is simple but great and overall we had an awesome time here!

• Stayed October 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed in July 2012.
This was by far the best value of all the places I stayed on my 6 week trip.
The location is fantastic- probably couldn't get any better. Right across from the train station, and a few minutes walk to the Royal Mile.
Breakfast was cereal and toast, with coffee and tea available. Considering the cheap price of my 16 bed dorm, I was happy with it.
I was a little disappointed with the atmosphere- or lack of it. It seemed there were a lot of families staying, and as a single traveller, I found it harder than usual to meet people. It was rare to actually find people hanging out in the "hang out room". You would think in a 16 bed dorm, that it would be easy to meet people, but no one talked to anyone else. Strange.
Technical difficulties when I tried to check in meant I had to wait for almost 2 hours. But things happen! And at least the staff checked us in, in order of arrival.
Free wifi in the restaurant downstairs.
Cheap drink specials.
The real downside was the gross condition of our bathroom. There were 2 showers and 2 toilets attached to our dorm. One of the showers seemed sort-of new (though there was nowhere to place your towel or clothes) but the other shower room was covered floor to ceiling in black mould.
The communal bathroom down the hall always seemed to be out of toilet paper.
There is an elevator; it's sketchy, but usable.
There are lockers available for a fee, for before and after check out.
They had a free, stand-up comedian night which was cool.
All and all, it was worth the stay!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights. On arrival we were greeted by nice friendly staff as the were for the whole duration of our stay. The Hostel was busy but yet you had your own space too.
We booked a 2 bedroom with our own bathroom. It was a bit tight for space but we didn't mind as it was just the 2 of us and we didn't want to have to share with people we didn't know.
There was a bar in the Hostel too which had good prices and nice food. I think there was entertainment in the bar every night.
The Hostel is in an excellent location it is right beside the old town where there are loads of tourist attractions.
And it is not far from the shopping centre either.
We had food in a pub I can't remember the name of it, it was near the shopping centre but the lady working there was so nice and friendly.
There was a lot of stairs in the hostel and I don't think there was any lift but you would get over that!
Everything you needed from towels, shower gel, shampoo, hairdryer etc was all available for al low price at reception.
I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Hostel have excelente location but the breakfast is horrible. You could not find lovely person to help you in the breakfast and also will have a clean cup or spoon and knife.
The housekeeper entered in our room before we answer her advice.
There is no soap nether carpet in the bathroom.
I dont recomend.

• Stayed October 2012
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great hostel in an amazing location right on Market St across the street from the train station. The hostel is above 2 pubs and has a free breakfast although its really basic. There was even a lift that worked! In addition they gave a 25% discount in the pub for all meals and had a bunch of drink specials. There were also some free shows there for the fringe which was cool. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh? Share your experiences!