“Really enjoyed our stay !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels

You added The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels to your Saves list
The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Greenside Place, Edinburgh EH1 3AA, Scotland (Calton Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Perth, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed our stay !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I had booked a 2 night stay, which was planned around my office Christmas night out (elsewhere), plus shopping at the Christmas Market and a family meal.

We stayed in a suite, which we really liked. The room was huge and the space was used most imaginatively. Had we been there in the summer, the large balcony with brillaint hedges would undoubtedly have been the place to be of an evening. Even in winter though, the view was wonderful. Our bed was really comfortable and we weren't bothered by the road noise from York Place below at all. Garden rooms at the back would have been quieter, but they didn't look nearly as nice as ours. Others have mentioned the ease with which the walk-in showers flood and I must agree - it was a hassle and surely must be resolvable. Our room was equipped with lovely tea bags and reasonable coffee, but what a shame that the toiletries and the bottled water weren't Scottish. There was also no shortbread. I think the hotel has really missed a trick on this. I also think the hotel could do more about sustainability, for example, use refillable toiletry containers and change towles less frequently.

Our booking, check-in and check-out was handled keenly and efficiently by Andrew, with no hiccups at all. He took us to our rooms and gave a comprehensive low-down on what the hotel had to offer and where everything was located. We all enjoyed his tip about the amazing view from the rooftop garden, despite the cold ! He booked us our family evening meal too in really nice, conveniently located restaurant.

We found all of the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful, but there was a considerable delay in our room being cleaned and re-equipped on the second day, which we found surprising. Our breakfast was lovely. We ordered a la carte and the food was fresh and beautifully cooked. My only quibble was the breakfast coffee, which was truly horrible ! On thinking afterwards though, it reminded me of American coffee - enough said .....

All in all a really lovely pre Christmas break, which I wouldn't hesitate to repeat !

Room Tip: Pick the best room that you can afford and if road noise might bother you - pack some earplugs !
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was a one night stay on a voucher website deal. Afternoon tea, overnight stay and breakfast.

Excellent service from all staff. Friendly and helpful at all times.

Afternoon tea was good but not amazing. A bit slow to arrive. Got food about 40 minutes after ordering. Scones a little well fired. The windows and the window ledge needed a bit of a clean, but other than that nice room with big windows and views.

Bedroom was a good size with balcony overlooking the side of the hotel with views to the shopping street and also Carlton Hill. Too cold to use it thought unfortunately, but would be great in the summer. Good size bathroom with walk in shower and separate bath.
Nice room layout giving a sleeping area and the sit down dining area and desk and direct access the balcony.

Had a few drinks in the snug later on in the evening. No proper bar area. Small self service honesty bar which was open 'til 3am. Snug has a nice fire pit with comfy seats and couches.

The roof top gardens has great views over Carlton Hill and down to the Firth of Forth. Watch out for some loose paving slabs though...

It's a long walk from the reception to the rooms (well to ours anyway) so take a wheeled suitcase...

We opted for breakfast in bed. Extra £5 on the bill, which is OK. Disappointed with the food. Order arrived on time which is great. Never got a muffin that was ordered unfortunately. It was a smaller breakfast, which is not a bad thing it the quality is there. However. The bacon was overdone, black pudding also a bit over, the sausage was cooked OK, but not the most flavoursome. A crowning glory was the half a potato scone! It felt like this is where they have been trying to save the money. Not a 5 star breakfast in any book.

We left an iPod in the room, which was found by housekeeping and is being returned which is great.

To sum up. Nice hotel to look at. Contemporary design, if perhaps a little lacking in personality. Great service from the staff, but lacking in the quality of food you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Third Floor Rooms have balnconies or Garden room access. They also are on the same floor as their Sn...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Now, this is a lovely hotel and I enjoyed my stay for the most part, but there were a few things that stuck with me that sadly let it down.

First of all, this is (meant to be) a 5* hotel. I felt a little let down by the service and cleanliness. Andrew on the front desk is brilliant and knows exactly what the job entails, but I dealt with another member of staff on check in who wasn't quite as good. There was a mistake with my booking and I was given a standard room instead of suite. I called the night before to make sure that my booking was definitely the suite and was told yes, it was, but there was apparently no record of that? I had my booking confirmation to hand, which sorted the problem, but the member of staff who dealt with it didn't seem very accommodating or apologetic. Whenever I've had issues with the room in other hotels, some 4*, some 5*, the staff were very apologetic and offered complimentary drinks/champagne etc to make up for it - but not at The Glasshouse? I wasn't shown to my room and no offer to bring my luggage up. I expect a lot more from a premium hotel. I don't know if it's because my husband and I look quite young so they weren't interested in going the extra mile?

Walking up to the room (and someone else has mentioned this in an earlier review), the corridors were littered with rubbish, dirty glasses/plates, hoovers, and even bathrobes/towels! I thought that was shocking. The majority of these dirty plates still had food on them as well. Completely the opposite of what I'd expect to see in a 5* hotel. This was around 4pm and the rubbish outside the rooms was there for HOURS. I cannot understand why the housekeeping staff think this is acceptable!

The executive suite had an excellent bed, lovely balcony and plenty of space. No noise at all from outside and I had a great night's sleep. But it didn't feel particularly premium. The wooden flooring was covered in scuffs from people's shoes (those long, black marks) and looked a bit battered. The carpet looked old. The shower didn't drain properly and flooded the bathroom floor (others have pointed that out) and the drain was full of hair...that didn't belong to me. Not nice. Some lightbulbs were also not working and the chest of drawers in the cupboard looked very tatty and beaten up.

Breakfast was okay, we were seated and offered a menu...but no one came to actually take our order. No matter as we only wanted the continental breakfast, but still...little things like this make you wonder if the staff are actually paying attention?

Overall, The Glasshouse is a lovely hotel and these issues aside, it was a nice stay. Just doesn't quite meet the 5* mark, for me, and I felt a little let down.

Room Tip: Top floor, suites overlooking the city are generally better than the ones with a garden view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Arrived two hours earlier than check in time to leave our bags only to find our room was available & even better a complimentary upgraded had been given.
We were also advised complimentary malt whiskies were available in the bar (all bedroom suites named after malts in hotel), a lovely touch however not our tipple!!
Our room was fab, very spacious, we had a fantastic balcony (huge) & great teas/coffee selection.
Great bed which meant good night sleep had
Lovely outdoor space for the city, shame we couldn't get to enjoy it due to snowy weather, will be sure to return in the summer however☀️
The only niggle was breakfast, great continental selection, however would be nice to see omelettes on the menu & haggis (veg haggis an option, which I did ask to be added to my breakfast, wasn't great though)!
I think I read something to say Campbell's was your butchers, one of the best haggis's I've tried is Campbell's, get it on your menu a lovely Scottish touch for all the tourists who must visit your hotel.
Overall a great day/night had in the Glasshouse, looking forward to my next visit!
PS a great hotel for theatre breaks as next door to the playhouse

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed here for a pre Christmas get together with my sister, cousin and our husbands. The whole experience was splendid the check in was dealt with quickly and efficiently by Jaimie and Andrew, who showed us to our rooms and took us on a tour of the facilities which he personalised by giving us snippets of information about the hotel and showing us his favourite view from the roof garden. After we'd been out for dinner on Thurs evening, booked ahead for us by Andrew, John Paul kindly unlocked the whisky cabinet to pour our complimentary drams which came with the suites we had. The housekeeping and breakfast room staff were quietly efficient, the rooms spotlessly clean, the breakfast, with a huge choice of cold and freshly cooked hot options, was a real treat for me as my gluten and dairy free diet was no problem to cater for. On leaving staff in the corridors going about their business wished us safe home and Paul checked us out and obligingly put our bags away for collection after we'd been down to tour Britannia. Only suggestion would be that the hotel could up it's green credentials by having toiletry dispensers in the bathrooms rather than little throw away plastic bottles and refillable pots for jam/marmalade in the breakfast room. Thanks everyone for a very special pre Christmas treat.

Room Tip: Book the best you can afford. The view of the city is good but possibly noisy at the weekend, it did...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Welcome from the minute you walk through the door, staff very good, hotel excellent, good room with patio/balcony, A/C TV good clean bathroom, wifi all the usual stuff you would expect.
After having the breakfast I wish I had used the dining room the night before for a meal as it was excellent.
Would I return yes no complaints at all great stuff............................................

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Beautiful hotel next door to the Playhouse in Edinburgh and a couple minutes walk to the main shopping street in Edinburgh. The room was clean, comfortable with lots of little extra touches. The first morning I had the bacon sandwich which was very unimpressive. Undercooked bacon slapped in a small overcooked roll. However the following morning I had the full breakfast which was very tasty with quality ingredients. The hotel is very quiet and has a lovely cosy Snug Bar to relax at the end of the day. Staff are all very friendly and willing to help. Usually come to Edinburgh once or twice a year. Would definitely return to The Glasshouse.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels? Share your experiences!