“Not quite 5 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels

Save Saved
You added The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels to your Saves list
The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Greenside Place, Edinburgh EH1 3AA, Scotland (Calton Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Haltwhistle, United Kingdom
“Not quite 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for two nights at the end of August.The hotel is a nice mixture of old and new, the reception are is bright and the staff very pleasant. After checking in we were taken to our room which was to the front of the hotel. Tho the room was very nice there was quite a bit of dust on window ledges and the towels and bath mat were very shabby not what you expect from a 5* hotel I know these are small items but you do not expect them in this type of hotel.
Also we paid a deposit on my card of £100.00 to cover costs when I returned home I found they had taken £200.00 I phoned the next day and 2 weeks later I am still waiting on a refund after quite a few phone calls and e-mails something else you do not expect from this type of hotel. In all a great location pleasant staff but not quite there.

Room Tip: Rooms at front have a lively outlook with plenty going on but are well soundproofed at the back outl...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Philadelphia area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here three nights on a points redemption (I'm a Marriott Rewards member with Gold status) and on its face the hotel is really gorgeous albeit with a few quirks. We stayed in late August when the city was at its busiest as well with all the festivals.

1) Location - In the heart of the city and about a 10-15 minute walk to the major shopping/museums/attractions. Edinburgh Castle is about 20-30 minute walk (although due to weather we took the taxi up the last night of the tattoo). It's at a very busy intersection so careful crossing the street but there is a playhouse next store and plenty of restaurants across the street. We had Thai one night and Italian another night and both were good.

2) Checking in - We had to wait about 10 minutes to check in. There was a desk with two desk people but they were busy with other customers before they got to us. There is seating available to wait before you get checked in. Once you are checked in they take you up to your room and give you a walkthrough as well as any other pertinent information you need (our guy was very friendly and helpful).

3) The room - We were on the top floor (Room 35) with a view looking out the front of the building and it was some view. You can see across the way to some of the really interesting architecture of Edinburgh (which is everywhere). The room is configured well with a divider to offer privacy from the front streets and tinted glass on the windows. The bed is in the middle and the TV/bureau against the bathroom wall. The bathroom is spacious as well and everything is beautifully appointed. I would say the room is definitely a highlight of the property (and we weren't even in a suite).

4) Food & Drink - There is a restaurant downstairs from where we were in the corner of the hotel that we visited for breakfast (I had free breakfast with my gold status). The porridge was amazing and my wife loved it. The continental is weak but you can order pretty much anything and it's all done well. There is also a bar on the top floor (was down the hall from our room) but it's barely staffed if at all most of the time. My wife and I had to wait 15-20 minutes to get coffee and tea in the late afternoon.

5) Amenities - There is a spectacular roof deck on the top of the building that looks over all of Edinburgh but it didn't seem like anyone wanted to be out there. There is seating everywhere out there and the views are amazing. You can look across and up at what we thought to be Carlton Hill and other areas of Edinburgh. It's adjacent to the bar and we ended up bringing our drinks out there and sitting and enjoying the view. You have to make a trip out there if the weather is nice (and you may have it to yourself.) I also had free wifi and that worked well in my room and in the common areas.

6) Staff - The staff seemed distracted at times but most always said hello with a smile. It seemed like the building was understaffed for what it had to offer as certain areas of the hotel were deserted at times and we were left roaming. Other than that the majority of the people we ran into were very nice and accommodating.

Overall the hotel is beautiful and well located in the city but I think you're paying more for that then you are for 5 star service. I'd possibly stay here again but I'd also look at alternatives as it didn't completely make me fall in love with the property.

Room Tip: Stay up on the top floor and take advantage of the tremendous views.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a choice between this hotel and the Waldorf in Edinburgh, and this one was a bit cheaper (though still very pricey) and actually had somewhat better reviews, so we went with it. We were disappointed. This is not a 5 star hotel, and while it is a decent 4 star, decent is not exactly a ringing endorsement.
The location was pretty good, but not great. It is a bit away from the main attractions, the Royal Mile, High Street, etc. Edinburgh seems to be built on one giant hill, so walking is a chore. We did it, but our legs were killing us by the end of our stay. Couple of decent eating options within walking distance. Taste was a good breakfast, and Steak was a very nice steak place.
From outside the hotel looks nice, but it is not that imposing. In fact, it really looks more like an office building than a luxury hotel. The lobby is very nice marble and wood, but we were disappointed by the common areas, or lack thereof. No restaurant, no real bar (an honor bar, which was a strange setup), and the ambiance just didn't fit with Edinburgh. Almost TOO modern.
The room was very nice, best part of the place. Little tight quarters, but had all the basics, plus a walk out little patio into the private garden. That was a nice touch, we would have used that more if it hadn't been raining the whole time we were there. Overall, rooms were the best part of the place. Always clean, nice small bathroom. One note that European hotels have a lot of, the open shower. No tub, no curtain, just the floor and a drain. Not a big fan.
No food to speak of, we went down to take a look at breakfast and they only had continental, extra for a warm breakfast. Go to Taste, good breakfast, pretty cheap, right down the street.
Where we were especially put off was the service. The people in reception seemed very disinterested and a bit snooty. I felt like we got a bit of an attitude when asking questions, though they were helpful with directions. I have to admit it could have been me after a long flight, but I just didn't feel like they were overly helpful, or that they had a good attitude. I am generalizing from one person, but she took one look at my hoodie and her eyes glazed over.
As to value, I paid cash. I realize it is August, and a high point for Edinburgh, but this was just not worth what we paid. Maybe better in a different season, but for that price, I would not return.
Overall, a good hotel, but not great, and definitely not worth the chunk of change we laid out to stay here. Price comes down and I could be convinced to stay again, but more likely I would want to try another place.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We enjoyed three nights and with one suite and one executive room for a family of four at this hotel. Breakfasts were very good, and staff tried very hard to please. The rooftop garden is a nice amenity. Room service was excellent. I would ask for rooms on the third floor with a view of the garden or Leith. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mound, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After flying all night and being tired, we were welcomed with smiles at 9 am and the welcome words of "your room is available. Nice room with a big balcony (too cool to use). Room was not good to be in during the day as the bed arrangement makes for almost no place to sit except the balcony. The lounge with a central fire pit was a welcome spot to sit and the honor bar a plus. Don't plan to eat a meal in the evening --- they set up 4 or 5 tables in the lounge area and the menu is very limited. One of our meals was literally not palatable (beef) and the answer "was we told the cook". Parking for private pick up is also a problem as the only area is a taxi stand who hassle private guides, etc. about stopping there. The decor and the staff are welcoming ---- everyone in the place had a smile and a greeting day and night --- nice feeling.

Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived from the airport to a wet morning in Edinburgh. When we arrived we were given the coldest welcome I've ever known @ a Marriott hotel. No 'welcome to the glasshouse madam/sir' no it was just a look of what the hell are you doing here at 0900hrs. This was not made any easier by the ridiculous planning of the interview style reception area and the location of a toilet. I have never known a reception to have their nearest loo up 3 levels on a lift across the hallway, down a flight of stairs etc. You're having a laff! It was made better by our room but the sparkling water was actually still, there was no details of when breakfast would be or indeed where. We had to ask a cleaner. It was not made clear to us that there was an honesty bar, we assumed that it was closed when we arrived. Plus points - great view from our room and the continental breakfast was ok.
Train the staff in the reception area with good customer services, get rid of the desks and make them stand so that they are on the same level as the customer. If this is not done soon I fear that you may have to say goodbye to repeat custom.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Federico C, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Easytigercat,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

We do appreciate your feedback and certainly we are disappointed to hear that we did not meet up your expectations on this occasion.

Our boutique hotel is designed to allow our guests to have a friendlier hotel experience with a sit down reception and personalised room check in.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Federico Ciampi
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here on 29th August and this was the second time we have stayed here. First time we had a fantastic room above the Omni centre with a huge balcony.This time we had a lovely room looking and access on to the roof garden.pity we couldn't sit out due to the weather,(not hotels fault).
Staff all were very pleasant and chatty.Breakfast is a pleasant experience and we enjoyed the selection of foods and best point is the breakfast is cooked for you and served to you at the table.Nice touch. Good sized rooms, beds are huge and very comfortable. Very quiet hotel with no doors banging.It is a different style for a Marriott but offers a different style of accommodation and experience. Would certainly recommend a visit.
Very handy for visitors to Edinburgh.Near bus,train stations.Theatre next door , shops across road and tram stop across road as well.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Federico C, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Susan W,

Thank you for sharing you recent comments with regards to your stay with us.

I was delighted to read your comments and would like to thank you as well for choosing Marriott so regularly.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you soon again and do not forget to check our website for the latest packages and promotions as it pays to book direct.

Kind Regards

Federico Ciampi

Been to The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels? Share your experiences!