“Unpleasant and Stressful Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels

Save Saved
You added The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels to your Saves list
The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Greenside Place, Edinburgh EH1 3AA, Scotland (Calton Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Argyll
“Unpleasant and Stressful Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A very unpleasant and stressful experience and not worth the hassle!
With great expectation we arrived outside the hotel at a small, totally inadequate 'Taxi' rank where we were forced to double park in a busy bus lane while we went to reception to enquire about parking. We were advised that it was a simple matter of going up the road, turning left and left again into the multi storey car park. Asked if there was anyone to help us with our bags we were told unfortunately, no. So, to the continued aggravation of queuing traffic we unloaded the car and then returned to park.
Carefully following the instructions - arrived at underground car park with much relief only to be confronted by a closed barrier with no apparent means of entry. Backed out and continued down road to another underground car park which also had a barrier and was ' Private' ! No signs for Hotel parking - Nothing!! Continued to bottom of road which was a dead end ! Turned round and back up to main road which of course was one way only which forced me away from the Hotel and into the busy City traffic and a great deal of confusion - particularly aggravated by the new Tramway.
I eventually found my way back to the Hotel after some 15 or so minutes only to have to repeat the original trauma of parking outside.I am now angry.
Returned to reception and insisted to be accompanied to the car park.After a further 10 minute wait a young man appeared and came with me.
When we eventually got back to reception we then had the challenge of finding our own way to our bedroom ! On a positive note - the room was very pleasant.
Breakfast the following morning was another challenge. There were no directions or signs to the dining room AT ALL. And not a sign of any staff to ask.When, however we did eventually find the dining room after a long walk, the breakfast, I have to say, was extremely good.
There can be little doubt about the money spent on this Hotel. What a pity they didn't invest more time and money on guest care and service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

449 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel is beautiful and in the perfect location for a visit to Edinburgh. However, upon arrival in my room I noticed crumbs on the floor by the bed. When I pulled the bed away from the wall, behind the headboard I found an open package of cookies, crumbs, and a balled up tissue. Yuck! I requested a transfer and, to their credit, the staff immediately moved me. With the main desk person with me, I checked the same location in the second room--and found a balled up receipt from a previous guest. Clearly, they do not clean thoroughly. The staff person said something about how hard it is to get behind the beds, but she did call housekeeping and they vacuumed the room for me. The rest of my stay was lovely, but there was no apology to me from management, which I would expect in a hotel of this caliber. Even nicer would be if they cleaned their rooms thoroughly in the first place. I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jackson, WY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed in the Glasshouse for one night, and loved it! The room was exceptionally comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and spacious. The garden out the back of the hotel was stunning, and a wonderful little oasis. The location could not be beat, backing up as it does to Regent Park. Absolutely perfect for setting of on a wander around Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Perthshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Loved our stay here. The suite was spotless, huge bed, lovely linen. Whiskey and chocs in the room. We dined in our room, which was lovely looking out from the balcony into town. The honesty bar in the lounge area was great too, with the fire as well, very romantic and cosy.
Breakfast was of a high standard, if a little confusing to get to from our room, but guess this is due to the old hotel building adjoining a new one. A luxury experience.

Room Tip: Overlooking the city but all suites have a great view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Federico C, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Glasshouse.

I was delighted to read your comments and that you fully enjoyed our great hotel. We are in a great location with fantastic facilities for our guests to experience and make a memorable stay of.

I do hope we can welcome you again soon and please do check our website for the latest promotions and packages.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was very much to look forward to stay in this Hotel after reading the review.

Yet, the experience was a bit disappointed.

The room was set up stupidly which make the room looks so SMALL and narrow. The bed was disappointed as the TWIN bed were made up 2 small single beds (2.5ft width), which is pretty small for ASIAN. And I dont know how others European thinks about the bed.

The furniture in the ROOM was big while the space is small and makes the room uncomfortable to stay.

The over rated Rooftop Garden was another disappointment which it was NOTHING there.

Breakfast was not fantastic with limited selection on buffet spread and a la carte.

Would not recommend anyone to stay at this Hotel, though it is by Marriott.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For what we paid for this hotel we were expecting a 5* experience, it certainly was not that. OK, we did arrive an hour or so early but neither of our rooms was ready, we didn't mind this at all but check in was mightily laborious when all we wanted to do was leave off our bags and hit the shops! After our journey we asked to use the Ladies before shopping....no loos anywhere reception and a member of staff had to take us up in the lift.....then down some stairs....then along a corridor.....to arrive at a single Ladies!
On arriving back from shopping it was good to get our room keys and find our bags already there BUT we had requested 2 twin rooms only to discover we'd been given 2 doubles, not at all what we wanted but having trekked what seemed like miles of corridor to get there and needing to get ready to go back out we decided to put up with it.
On the plus side we had a lovely balcony which we enjoyed given the lovely Edinburgh sunshine.
The breakfast was good but very expensive.
I don't know what to make of this hotel and certainly wouldn't rush back, the long corridors are dark and soulless, there are no real public areas for meeting up with friends, the 'on request' layout of bedding is not really satisfactory, we need to be able to ask for double or twin beds!
For visiting The Playhouse theatre the location is great but it is just a bit far off the main drag for shopping, a George Street hotel is far better location.
Overall our stay was comfortable but should have been for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Federico C, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

I was disappointed to read your comments and please accept my apologies if you have not felt that our layout is of a good standard.

I do hope this was not the last time you visited our hotel and we would love to welcome you back to show you the improvements made to achieve the high standards that we want to show at all time.

Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friend and I stayed here for two nights on a city break in June, we found the hotel to be absolutely amazing, our room was stunning, the customer service was outstanding (nothing to much, advised us of restaurants to use and even booked us tables). The balcony in our room use stunning, huge in fact. Id certainly return to this hotel as it's location is brilliant and the service is out of this world.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us.

I was delighted to read your comments, knowing that our guests enjoys both the facilities and our customer service does make us want to bring our standards even higher.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you soon again and do not forget that you can earn and redeem Marriott points whilst staying with us.

Federico Ciampi

Been to The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels? Share your experiences!