“Not as good as before. Shame” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels

You added The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels to your Saves list
The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Greenside Place, Edinburgh EH1 3AA, Scotland (Calton Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Not as good as before. Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Returned back to Glasshouse after having coming to this hotel for many years before it got bought out by Marriot. this time I returned as a Marriot platinum member.3 main takeways:
1. Service is lazy. The lady at check in was the least friendly I have met and kept saying she just started working. Who cares.
2. Arrived at the room booked and the room wasnt done up and missing too many items.
3. No Platinum member goodies were offered unlike all other Marriot or Ritz Carlton hotel I have visited worldwide.

In my view its a huge disappointment compared to what it was before. I was wanting to come back as I remembered the service was par excellent and didnt really care whether its part of Marriot or not ( like Mandarin Oriental in KL, worth the visit). Will I visit in the future? Unlikely.my advice is to check out the apartments on the west end. Absolute cracker and akin to what Glasshouse was before.

• Stayed October 2013
Federico C, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us.

I was sorry to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay and please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

I have spoken to the rest of team to ensure corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you again as we are looking to make this Hotel a top choice for anyone wanting to stay in Edinburgh.

Once again thank you for your feedback,

Federico Ciampi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fauldhouse, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Truly fabulous hotel, elegant surroundings, perfect. I understand the reason for not having a restaurant as there are so many close at hand. Breakfast on Saturday was excellent but on Sunday it was a bit busier and I wasn't happy with what I received and asked why the scrambled egg was different, the server I didn't get her name came back and said it was a different chef and this is the way he makes it, I said bring it back, but it came back cold so couldn't eat it anyway. Mark one of the servers apologised and made sure it was taken of our bill. This in no way would put us off staying here again. Atim, Akira(hope that's correct) were very efficient and friendly.
Andrew and William the doorman saw us away with a cheery goodbye. Will be back soon x

Room Tip: The room we had looked on to Calton hill and the hotel gardens, in the summer it would be lovely ste...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Glasshouse Hotel for your recent stay here with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that some of our staff have made an impact whilst with us. I will pass your comments to them as I am sure they will be very happy to hear.

Please accept my apologies with regards to the breakfast on Sunday morning; we are reviewing our service/standards to ensure corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

Looking forward to welcome you again,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was awesome - from the moment I walked in until we left the hotel it was tremendous and the staff was nothing short of great. Great rooms, great service and a real Scotsman to meet you. The old chap was quite funny and animated. The concierge desk couldn't have been more helpful and the rooms were very spacious by UK standards. The bathroom was literally the best in the UK I have ever seen - large and well appointed. Towel warmers, separate showers and bath - very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your fantastic comments with regards to your recent stay here with us.

William, our doorman, is indeed a great asset for the Hotel and I am glad that you felt welcomed.

Our room have been recently refurbished in order to offer luxury and space for all our guests and make The Glasshouse a top choice for anyone wanting to stay in Edinburgh.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you again,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Impressed from the minute I walked into the hotel. The staff at reception were extremely helpful without being unnatural. The room was great - extremely comfortable with everything you would want from a hotel room (Nespresso machine included!) Relaxed bar area which was very welcoming. Couldn't fault my stay...looking forward to another trip to Edinburgh if only for the hotel!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Glasshouse Hotel for your stay in Edinburgh.

Reading that you were impressed from the moment you walked in is what we are all about, we do want our guests to feel excited about staying with us.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the future,

Regards

Yateley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

As a Marriott Gold member and with the Autograph Hotels now being part of the rewards program, I stayed in the Glasshouse on business on the 8th October and was not disappointed - what a beautiful modern stylish hotel. The "Penelope" female sculpture lamps are amazing!

The check in staff were very knowledgeable and friendly the rooms very luxurious with complementary minibar. The Snug room with its honesty bar is also a great place to relax.

1st Class ... will defiantly stay again in December with the family !

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent corporate trip and thank you for choosing us again in December for a trip with your family.

Winter here in Edinburgh is full of excitement and great places to visit, and surely The Glasshouse is one of them.

We are in the process to make The Snug a place for our guests to relax and enjoy both during the day and in the evening, so please do visit it in December.

Looking forward to welcome you and your family again,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here three nights in mid October after a recent refurbish, using Marriott loyalty points. Our room was lovely and included a balcony, it was clean and spacious. The outside roof top garden was amazing and would be really nice to sit out in during warm evenings. Equally as nice was the lounge area, with honesty bar, where you could sit round open style fire, read the papers or play board games provided by the hotel. It seemed very quiet whilst we were there, can imagine it would be busy with weddings in the summer. It was a great place to relax after a long day sighseeing! Full Scottish breakfast was good value at pre-booked rate of £13:50, we didn't need to eat any lunch! Evening menu was typically generic for a hotel, so we ate out as there are plenty of pubs and restaurants within 5 minutes walk. (Try the Conan Doyle, a Nicolson's pub just across the roundabout!)

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are very good, ours was a standard, not a suite and it was great. If y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Glasshouse Hotel for your recent stay in Edinburgh.

We were glad to read that you had a great stay with us and we are looking forward to have the chance to welcome you again.

In the summer our garden will be indeed the perfect place for a relaxing evening.

Do check our website as we always upload new promotions and packages as it pays to book directly with us.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

On arrival, the reception staff were very helpful and advised that my room was ready for an early check-in as I'd requested. I was shown into the lift by a member of staff who then took me to the start of the corridor, told me where I could find the bar and breakfast and then left. Usually if I am shown to my room it's actually to my room rather than to the corridor, not a big point but just some attention to detail that was lacking. The hotel itself is rather strangely laid out - the reception is on the ground floor, then there are two empty floors in between (not belonging to the hotel per se) and the rooms are in a bit of a rabbit's warren on the top floor.

The room itself looked a bit tired, and the chipped furniture certainly wasn't top quality. The bed was in the middle of the room against a headboard that divided the desk/table area from the bedroom/wardrobe area. It feels a bit strange sleeping in the middle of the room, and it makes the space seem smaller which is an odd thing for a designer to want to do. The bathroom was a wet-room with a fully heated floor which was rather nice. However, when using the shower, the floor seemed to be sloping away from the drain so the entire floor area was soaked! The mould in the far corners not only showed that it wasn't cleaned properly, but every guest "flooded" the room. The large roof garden looked very pleasant, and in the summer it must be nice to spend time there.

I was under the impression that turndown service was provided as part of the rate. Around 6.30pm I received a knock at my door, and I asked that they return in an hour or so once I'd left the room. When I opened my door I found a bottle of water sat there; that was the only turndown service I was to receive. If you are going to offer this service then it has to fit around the guest!

Breakfast was unremarkable. A buffet of cold items was really rather standard, the orange juice wasn't freshly squeezed, but the fruit selection was quite good even incorporating freshly sliced strawberries. I ordered pancakes with bacon and maple syrup from the menu; the pancakes were nice and fluffy, but the bacon was the meatier back bacon rather than crisp streaky bacon and they had garnished the pancakes with a selection of berries. This was so amateur - it is either a sweet dish and garnished with berries or with crisp, streaky bacon and no berries!

The location cannot be faulted, and all of the staff I encountered were very helpful, but the product as a whole just felt a little tired, and the decor could do with refreshing. Unless you get a very good rate, then there are better places to stay in the city.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience here with us at The Glasshouse Hotel.

I would like to personally thank you for the detailed feedbacks as this will give me a chance to ensure that corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

As you are aware we recently moved into The Autograph Collection and our goal is to strive to achieve high standards at all time, and we believe that only by taking in consideration criticisms we would be able to improve.

I do hope you will give us a chance again in the future and once again thank you for choosing The Glasshouse.

Federico Ciampi

Been to The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection Hotels? Share your experiences!