“Downgraded then refused a refund (but charged for drinks)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Rainbow ApartHotel - Edinburgh

Save Saved
You added Blue Rainbow ApartHotel - Edinburgh to your Saves list
Blue Rainbow ApartHotel - Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 York Buildings, Queen Street, Edinburgh EH2 1HY, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #76 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Downgraded then refused a refund (but charged for drinks)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was telephoned and told that I would be downgraded from a two-bedroom to a one-bedroom apartment. I was told that I would receive 'compensation'. This turned out to be no more than the difference in price between the 2-bedroom and 1-bedroom apartment. Hotel refused to refund to give me my compensation and over 2-weeks later, I still have not received it. I was, however, required to pay my £11 drinks bill on the spot.

Reception is often empty. Lift didn't work for 24-hours. Wifi was a very poor signal so often didn't work (majority of the time).

Cleaning is only once a week.

Good location and nice views from the apartment. Nice beds. Be prepared for basic service and poor management.

Room Tip: Corner two-bedroom apartment
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BlueRainbowApart, General Manager at Blue Rainbow ApartHotel - Edinburgh, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Posthoc1,

I am very sorry to hear your stay was less than brilliant. I hope you have now received your refund, if not please do contact our Head Office so this can be rectified.

As of October 2013 there is a new Management team overseeing the Edinburgh apartments, which you will see the benefit of if you were to stay again.

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had a great stay. Not luxurious but clean, spacious and comfortable and very well located. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would recommend as a place to stay in Edinburgh and would stay there again. We were impressed with the amount of space we had and liked having our own kitchen even if the only thing we made was Martinis!

Stayed September 2013
This is a wonderful review Maggie. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, our facilities and the staff.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here on the 05/09/13 in the penthouse, it was for my birthday and I had stayed before but in the executive apartments. The penthouse was lovely but one of the sinks in one of the bathrooms was cracked. The rooms were lovely and clean and the views from the apartment were gorgeous. Cereal, bread and butter and milk, tea and coffee were provided for us. What let it down was the call from reception to say we were late checking out as I had booked a late checkout. On phoning reception back was told as long as you have paid???? At that point the cleaner walked in, saw us there and said "oh s...t" and walked out. We reported this to reception who said oh she didn't mean it. Think the staff need a lesson in how to deal with the public. There was no apology from the cleaner or the receptionist, but this was the only disappointment.

Room Tip: The penthouse rooms were very comfortable, didn't hear any noise from the busy street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rosie,

Thank you for your response. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in the main and would like to pass on our apologies on behalf of the housekeeper and receptionist.

Following the change of Management I can confirm the sink in the Penthouse has been replaced and we have a new cleaning team. This should result in a perfect stay next time.
St Mary Bourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bed apartment for 4 nights during the fringe. Great location but strangely not that easy to find! Having said that location is good for the sights, rooms were spacious and reasonably equipped. They were very keen to have you sign the T&Cs which had some fairly ridiculous penalty charges for damages you may cause to the apartment. When we got in there there was (of course) a whole list of damages already occurred. Being in insurance I made a list and went off downstairs to report these, they told me the apartments were due for refurbishment and it did not matter as we would not be billed for anything - slightly frustrating. No on site coffee available, as advertised. Internet worked well as did TV.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mike,

We do publish a list of replacement cost, this is in the interest of transparency for that small minority of guest who cause malicious damage to our property.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location, apartments and amenities. Coffee should have been in your apartment on arrival.
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have just returned from a bank holiday weekend stay at this hotel and would certainly return if my pockets would allow. It's a great central location to explore Edinburgh and all the key sites, particularly during the Fringe and Arts festival, which are a walkable distance.

The apartment was more than spacious with a hallway, two bedrooms, a bathroom, living room/kitchen area. I was told on check-out that it was one of the smaller apartments which is amazing in my mind as it was really big. We quickly fell into the habit of referring to it as home as it really did feel like a home from home where we could cook breakfast, lounge on the sofas after a day out exploring watching TV and get a fantastic sleep on one of the best beds I have ever laid on.

They were very clean and well maintained and despite the odd nicks here and there I certainly felt like I had not been scammed considering it was approx £150 per night for the room. At the end we even took pics of the place to use as inspiration for our upcoming flat redecoration.

Finally the staff were very amenable and helpful - providing us with guidance to our various questions etc. The only thing that I would say is that beware you will have to pay a £100 deposit upon check-in, something I had no idea about when I booked via ebookers. Also, as the card I had booked with had been replaced with another card we spent about 20 minutes after a six hour train journey having a staff member refund money onto my old card and charge me again for the payment for my stay on my new one - even though I had booked months ago and already paid - as the person who checked me in said I had to pay my £100 deposit with the same credit card I had booked my hotel stay on!? Bit odd but was exhausted so didn't bother to argue. Luckily had brought my credit card to do this, if I hadn't or it had been maxed out I wonder if I would've been refused check-in despite paying?!

Overall it was a nice stay and whilst very expensive think, considering that Edinburgh has a very expensive hotel rate, that we got a nice little taste of luxury to our stay and from now on will look for similar - but hopefully cheaper! - accommodation when I go on holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a fabulous review.

We are glad you were able to relax in comfort during your stay and made the most of the kitchen facilities.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Clean, comfortable, well furnished apartment. Excellent location and we were able to walk everywhere. Stuart at the reception desk was very helpful in guiding us on where to go and what to see. The only downfall is there is no a/c, which is common in all of Edinburgh, so windows were open at night and it would get a bit noisy when the bars let out. Within a few blocks there are countless restaurants, bars, bistro's and shops ,a nice grocery store and a health food store. About a mile walk to the old city and the castle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review Kimberly.

We have passed your lovely feedback on to Stuart, who is a great concierge. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. If you were to return ask for a garden view room which is away from the street so would provide a quieter night if you have the windows open.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel/apartment was the ideal place to stay as a family and to explore everything that the city had to offer on terms of historical buildings and visually stunning vistas. Most of the touristic sites were within walking distance and the choice for meals was abundant and good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for an excellent review, we are glad to hear you and your family had a great stay with ourselves and enjoyed your time in Edinburgh.

Been to Blue Rainbow ApartHotel - Edinburgh? Share your experiences!