“A hidden gem in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kew House

Save Saved
You added Kew House to your Saves list
Kew House
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1 Kew Terrace | Murrayfield, Edinburgh EH12 5JE, Scotland (West End)   |
Announcement
Book Direct for Best Rate
Ranked #7 of 441 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed at Kew House for 3 nights to celebrate a special birthday in November 2013. It was our first visit to Edinburgh. We cannot recommend this place or staff highly enough. The quality to details is superb. The owners are so caring and helpful and make sure you are happy with every aspect of your stay. We love to try local restaurants rather than chains when we are on holiday and they had many suggestions to help us. In fact all three nights we went to their personal favourites. Every night was superb. They pre-booked tables for us (which is essential!). Ian & Alan are full of genuine and helpful advice and ideas. Kew House is a nice 10 minute walk from the heart of Edinburgh and Princes Street. There are lots of buses you can jump on but we preferred to walk and look at all the Georgian houses ! Breakfast was a delight - traditional scottish to suit you (and so much besides). Fresh fruits, cereals, cooked, eggs in every way you could wish. You will not want to leave. We stayed in the superior room and feel it was excellent value for money. It was immaculate. Lovely furnishings and fittings throughout. Our trip to Edinburgh was for a special birthday, and this short break certainly has gone down as one our most special breaks away ever. Thank you so much - we really did not want to come home !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It's always a bit nerve racking when guests take our restaurant recommendations completely just in case our taste in food is different but I'm glad you agreed with us on all three places we recommended. Trust we when I say that for every one we find and recommend there are two which we would not so I'm glad you agreed with our choices.
Hopefully we'll see you again on the next special birthday!!

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I spent 3 nights at Kew House.
On arrival I was welcomed by Ian the welcome is warm and friendly.
Ian give me a map of Edinburgh with the bus numbers to the city on it.
I was then shown to my room a single at the back of the house with a view of the Pentland Hills.
The room is well decorated and coordinated you have everything you need for a comfortable stay.
The single bed is very comfortable which made for a good nights sleep, the bedding is of a good quality.
There is a Lcd tv with a good selection of channels and wifi available throughout the house with no signal issues.
Plenty of tea, coffee and hot chocolate with a chocolate brownie regularly replenished.
There was sherry with a box of chocolates in the room, also when I came back to the room in the evening there was a chocolate on the pillow a nice touch.
The breakfast is excellent you have a choice from a continental to full cooked, the food is excellent quality you will not go hungry here.
Ian and Allan are excellent hosts friendly welcoming and considerate they run a first class establishment, they have a beautiful home it is well kept immaculately clean with good levels of service.
You pay a bit more for Kew House but what you get in return is worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms would be of a high standard.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully will see you again.
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here during the week over Halloween and would definitely recommend it.
It is a ten minute stroll into Edinburgh, which we liked, but you can also jump on the very frequent buses which take you into Edinburgh in just a few minutes.

The room was lovely and clean as was the rest of the guest house there was also free, secure parking which we needed. Ian and Alan were the perfect hosts, recommending places for us to eat and visit and cooking us a lovely Scottish breakfast in the morning.

I have already recommended Kew house to friends given how expensive it is to stay in the well known hotels in Edinburgh city centre these days.

Thanks for looking after us Ian & Alan!

• Stayed October 2013
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My daughter, husband and I stayed in Kew House as part of a sight seeing trip to Edinburgh. Our room was absolutely perfect with linens, bedding, beds, bathroom etc. of high caliber. The room was immaculate and luxurious. Colour schemes were relaxing and decor well thought out. There is parking at the back that is fenced in from the alley. Our host efficiently welcomed us to our room.

The breakfast includes a variety of items to satisfy anyone. As well, a hot Scottish breakfast was prepared for each of us - or at least the parts we wanted. Delicious. An effort was made by our hosts to be helpful in regards to questions and engage in conversation.

As you can see, everything seems to have been done perfectly at the Kew House. I am not sure why I felt like I was staying at a hotel rather than a bed and breakfast. I choose B&Bs when I travel because I want more of a feeling of the people living in an area. Although my stay at the Kew House was excellent, I did find it officious. However, I would definitely recommend it as excellent accommodation in Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Thank you both for helping us out, when we were badly disappointed elsewhere in the City. Nothing is too much trouble, and we slept soundly in comfy, clean beds. Breakfasts were very, very good! The advice too on eating out, parking, walking etc etc was also very helpful. One of the best I've ever stopped in, thank you.

Stayed October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We booked last minute having read reviews.Good location,easy to get into town on foot,by bus or just £5 in a taxi.Secure parking at this fab spotless 5 star B&B.Our bedroom was immaculate and perfect,breakfast was beautiful and of great quality and the owner was extremely informative of Edinburgh,things to do and restaurants.We wouldn't hesitate to return when we next visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Perfect location, secure parking, great hosts and a good nights sleep what more could you want!

Couldn't recommend more highly would come back again, lovely city to explore however we were able to find some hidden treasures after recommendations on arrival.

The rooms were immaculate, very modern and you could tell that there was that extra effort made to make our stay comfortable without any worries.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Kew House. As I've said before we take our hospitality very seriously and sometimes we're not always sure if we "hit the mark" with all guests so appreciative comments such as yours give us the energy and incentive to keep on going. Hope to see you again at Kew House.

Been to Kew House? Share your experiences!