“Great place on a rainy day” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 269 Activities in Edinburgh
Type: Sports Complexes, Sports
Bo'ness, null, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Great place on a rainy day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place is great for some fun climbing on a rainy day. It's less than a tenner to get in and you can spend the whole day there (assuming your stamina is up to the task!) I learned to climb here and go fairly regularly in the winter months though it should be noted it can get quite chilly so wrap up warm!

Visited March 2013

Freshwater, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Top Knotch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Climbing facilities beyond compare. Give the Aerial Assault Course a go if you dare!!! Only marked down as it is slightly expensive and the cafe is mediocre, but everything else - FAB.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Lacking in customer service and pricing ridiculous!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

In June 2013 I took my 3 week old baby to Scrambles along with my friends 2 3 year old children. Rightfully at the time we were not charged for entry for my baby. He is now 3 months when i went back with him and the 2 3 year olds last week I was charged £1.50 for him. I explained to the girl that firstly he was sleeping and secondly he can't walk, crawl or bum shuffle nor can he can't hold anything therefore he won't be playing with anything. I was met with a stone face and told everyone has to pay for their space and use of facilities. I again explained he would not be using any space as he's sitting in his own buggy and wont be playing with anything. To which I was told yeah but there's a cafe everyone needs to pay for their space. I thought if i use the cafe ill be paying for anything i purchase anyway I realised at that time there was no point arguing with such a person so I paid. My son did sleep through the entire 90 minutes. I did use the cafe facilities but funnily enough I paid for that as I would have expected...even if it was overpriced. A soup, half a cheese sandwich and a drink for £6.00. I note that the management have stated 0-6months is free with a sibling.....why only a sibling??? So the fact that my child is not related to the other two children I go with means I have to pay £1.50. Ridiculous. I see I'm not the only to be appalled by this. I live locally but would rather travel further a field than deal with this type of customer service.

Visited August 2013
Matt T, Front Office Manager at Edinburgh International Climbing Arena, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Hi Saw2009
Unfotuantely it looks as though our pricing structure may have been explained slightly wrong. We charge for babies rather than charging for adults like a lot of other soft plays do. While your child may not be playing they still take up a space in the overall capacity of the place as do any dults that accompany children.
I appreciate your comments and it will raise some discussion as to whether we offer money back should you spend so much in our cafe.
I hope you can understand why we have to put some charges in but if you wish to contact me directly you can do mattildesley@edinburghleisure.co.uk
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Great for kids and adults!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Super facility near Ratho for climbers and for those who just want to watch. Younger kids fun area in basement but main attraction is the climbing arena made out of the old quarry. Wonderful for the adventurous and great cafe allowing the less adventurous to watch and enjoy refreshments. Highly recommended even if just for coffee in an amazing setting!

Visited June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Phenomenal indoor climbing opportunity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This has to be one of the nicest (and largest?) indoor climbing facilities in the world! To be fair, I have only climbed a 6 other indoor facilities, but this one is far and away the most remarkable. There are so many routes available both for top roping and lead climbing. The routes are well set, although I might argue that there are too many bolts on the lead climbing walls. The cost of entry is very reasonable as well.

To top it off, the cafe in the centre has great food and cakes at a reasonable price!

If you're a climber and you live in Scotland, you should definitely check this place out for indoor training. Also, if you're just visiting Edinburgh/Glasgow and fancy some indoor sporting activity (because it's likely raining outside!), you can hire shoes and a harness, so you'll be all set, even if you didn't plan ahead when packing! :)

Visited August 2013
Thomas W, Front Office Manager at Edinburgh International Climbing Arena, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your review! We're glad you've enjoyed your visit to the centre, and the cake!comments