“Lovely place to eat near 14 Hart Street where we stayed” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to eat near 14 Hart Street where we stayed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Good choice of food in nice surroundings - we sat and looked out on the street! - well prepared and friendly staff - early eating for theatre was great too.

Visited March 2013

New York
“Outstanding Easter lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just found this by accident and had the best lunch, Great service and superb food! Will be back for breakfast!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Another excellent meal at Asti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have eaten at Asti on every trip back to my hometown since it opened and are never disappointed. On this occasion we had Sunday Lunch on Mother's Day with my Mum and our two grown-up children. We had requested a table in the back room, which has more of a restaurant feel to it, whereas the front room is more cafe like. As always the staff were friendly and polite and coped admirably with a full house. All the dishes were well cooked and presented and we all thoroughly enjoyed everything. We had three courses each, a bottle of wine and some soft drinks and it came to just shy of £140 including the tip; more than worth it and we will be back next time we are in Edinburgh.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bilbao, Spain
“Best breakfast in broughton st.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went to have breakfast to Asti Restaurant 2 days ago, and I found exactly what I expected. I went there, recommended by a friend that used to live nearby, and he told me that both the quality and the service were great. That's my same impression. Just come inside and you will find nice and smiley waitresses, fully serviceable. Great atmosphere inside, italian music sounding around, free Wi-fi access, and comfortable space where to sit and enjoy the meal. About the quality, just what I said before, it was delicious. I asked for a full english breakfast, accompanied by a capuccino, that really made my day.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“If you want breakfast, don't go at breakfastime!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Broughton Street is one of those great little social hub streets in Edinburgh with literally dozens of cafes, bars and coffee shops. Over the years the plot that Asti occupies has taken a number of guises and served many different types of cuisine - as far as I can recall all pretty good.

But I'm not here to talk about them. I'm here to talk about Asti and my almost unfathomably dismal experience here this March morning.

Asti opens at 8am, not unreasonably because there is enormous passing trade heading onwards towards a day of hard work. I'm fortunate to be self employed and working from home, so often I don't need to be somewhere at a set time. Asti therefore should be perfect for breakfast meetings. A well cooked warming start to the day over a productive discussion. Wrong.

See, here's the rub. Although Asti opens at 8am, their chef doesn't come in until 9am. And even then he doesn't so much as crack an eggshell until quarter past. Confused. Yes me too. There's a breakfast menu outside. A breakfast menu inside. Two lovely smiley waitresses taking orders, but only if you want a croissant or a fritatta or a cake or ( as I was offered) chocolate and toffee
shortbread.

Really? Yes really.

Forget the bacon.
Forget the sausages
Forget the smoked salmon.
Forget the eggs benedict
Forget the porridge.
Have a cake.

......Because the chef can't be bothered coming in until after most people have already had breakfast.

What a deplorable way to run a restaurant. Despite the service, the friendly welcome, the plush interior, this is the restaurant that actually forgot one thing. IT'S A RESTAURANT!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
mr500, Manager at Asti, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
.Very disappointed to learn of an unhappy breakfast customer. Asti has been in Broughton Street for just over a year now, and, during this period,we, as a small team have worked hard to serve what we think the public want within our comfortable surroundings. Although the cuisine is essentially Italian, we open all day, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffees. Having tested the market carefully over the last year, there seems to be no/very little demand for breakfast before 9am except during festival period. This probably explains why most of our competitors around this area open much later. We have, nonetheless, continued to open at 8am weekdays offering freshly ground coffee, croissants, pastries and sourdough toasts to sit in/to go for the early birds. The full kitchen opens at 9am on weekdays and 9.30 weekends. Till now, during these times, we have managed to establish a very regular breakfast clientele who sample a variety of artisan breads and our "own sourced" coffee bean, freshly ground to order. I can only apologize for your disappointment and hope that you may revisit and sample our menu at some other time.
We as a "Restaurant' never forget that we are a restaurant. We aim to do our best in serving quality food within the opening times and in making sure all our customers leave happy.