“The Place to be....kind of” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Place

You added The Place to your Saves list
The Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 - 38 York Place, Edinburgh EH1 3HU, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #68 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
South Shore, MA
“The Place to be....kind of”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Place on York Place for 3 nights in late August. The location is great and the staff very friendly and helpful. The small room that we had was adequate for us as we really only need it to sleep. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom/shower was clean.
I wish I could remember the room number but it's the one facing York Place, so the front of the hotel, on the lower floor so sub-ground level. We thought it was great that they blocked off the entire street due to construction because it was relatively quiet. However, because of the Fringe Festival, it got really loud at night with one of the comedy stages right next door. Also, we did hear some construction early in the mornings. We just didn't get a good night's rest during our stay there. It's not the hotel's fault, just the circumstances that we were under, I suppose. Anyway, I'd stay here again but would opt for a different room.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a room on the upper floors and/or away from the front of the hotel (during festiv...
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Bostonfoodie-7

Thanks for posting a review

You will be pleased to know. WE CERTAINLY ARE, that the works outside the hotel are now finished and the street is back to normal in terms of traffic and appearance. I am sorry if your stay was disrupted due to matters entirely outwith our control and we hope to see you back again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a city centre hotel in a good location.

Our room was on the top floor with a huge number of stairs to climb. We had no prior information about the lack of lifts, and this would be a major problem for less able guests.
Overall our bedroom was comfortable but on arrival we found a broken bedside lamp. Despite reporting this, nothing was done and lighting overall was poor. In addition, the water pressure was dreadful. On reporting this the receptionist said it was due to too many guests showering at once! In fact, the shower pressure was miserable at different times of the day. And this is clearly due to the plumbers not sorting out the water pressure on the top floor rooms - and the hotel seemed disinclined to do anything about it. However, the upside of being on the top floor was the stunning city view.

Disappointing breakfasts. Far better to find a local cafe - and there are many nearby.

Overall this is a stylish hotel in an excellent location. But service could be so much better and it really is a matter of style over substance.

Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear WebstersLondon

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

The lack of a lift is something that we feel is well publicised without bringing negativity to our marketing campaigns and representations. It is mentioned on these pages often enough also.

I am sorry about the problems particular to your specific room. The lamp has been fixed now and I am sorry it couldn't be done sooner but we were waiting for a rare part.

The water pressure is indeed occasionally effected by heavy usage throughout the building but is otherwise more than adequate.

I am not sure what made the breakfast disappointing but that is a rare remark for us to see, so I will assume that is simply a matter of taste.

All in all we seem not to have lived up to your expectations and that is deeply disappointing for us. I take your comments on board though and thanks again for airing them,

Ilkeston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at The Place for a one night business trip and found it an excellent experience from start to finish.

A very warm welcome when I arrived late in the evening (always very nice when reception know my name and then help me with my bags to my room). The basement room was very smart and immaculate, bathroom likewise. One gripe was not being told how to cover the skylight, but this was a very minor thing.

The staff were warm, polite and welcoming, while also being younger than many places I have stayed. This gives it a nice energy and when combined with the classic architecture of the building and modern decore, The Place has done well to give a character and personality to the experience in a sector so often devoid of such things.

I would recommend it very highly and look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear StumblingDave

Many thanks for your kind comments

I am so pleased that you were aware of the vibe we have tried to create and our staff selection process certainly helps us to achieve this.

We also look forward to having you back

Thanks again

fife,scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had a girls weekend just a week before Fringe started. Twin rooms are based in basement what wasn't very good and hotel was totally roasting so after the first hard night we asked for a fan which receptionist did get for us and our friends in the next room. Hotel location is amazing and looks very nice and clean. Room was massive but bathroom was quite small but how much time do you spend in the bathroom :) Plenty mirrors in the room, tv, kettle, hair dryer, wifi. Staff was helpful and accommodating so over all- a good stay in Edinburgh..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ezite

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

We would prefer to be a little (a lot) better than average but your comments are very welcome and we hope you will return and see us again one day soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am a serving member of the armed forces and have come back from deployment for R&R to get married and have a short honeymoon, staying at "the place", which we chose due to it's excellent location.

We checked in and were initially impressed, the decor was stylish and very clean. The room was on the 4th floor with no lift, which was fine as we are both able and fit. The room was pleasant but very small with no AC. Due to this you are required to open the windows or the room becomes hot and stuffy quickly, which is the start of the problem. As the room looks out onto the street in front you will be woken by people on the street during the night frequently, if you sleep through this you will definitely not sleep through the disc-saw and generator at 8am each day, even with the windows closed there is no hiding the sound.

We complained to reception, stated that it was our honeymoon also. The answer was polite but simply "we cannot do anything", we asked to be moved to the back and were given a "no" after a 30 second computer check. Admittedly they may not have control over the roadworks at the front, but they must have know these have been going on and should not be selling the rooms at the same rate. On our final morning we got up at 7 am to check out as soon as possible, I genuinely have had better nights sleep while deployed. The hotel required the balance to be paid up front, if not I would have refused to pay and would have found a better hotel nearby.

I would not recommend the hotel to anyone as we gave the staff a chance to rectify the problem but were given no alternative and were quickly fobbed off.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms at the front!
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear IanM

Thanks for posting a review and giving us an opportunity to express our views on a frustrating situation.

When you made your booking we were not aware that the road-works outside the hotel would be extended into our peak season. That decision was taken without our input or consultation and with no regard whatsoever for the impact it would have on our customers.

During several meetings with the City of Edinburgh Council we were specifically assured and given a cast iron guarantee that there would be no operational road-works outside the hotel during the Edinburgh Festival.

Sorry to say that we were badly let down on this promise and the impact, which you acknowledge was beyond our control has been damaging to our business. Damage which we will not be compensated for.

So, whilst I am terribly sorry that your special stay was disrupted, we are in no way responsible for the noise outside the hotel. We were not able to move you to another room because the hotel was full and I hope and trust that, whilst we were not able to resolve the issue, we dealt with you with a degree of sympathy and understanding which we certainly felt at the time.

I would invite you to contact me personally so that we might be able to take a look at how we might proceed here. Despite not being responsible we would like to try and make it up to you in some way. I hope that you will do that and look forward to hearing from you.

smclay@yorkplace-edinburgh.co.uk
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great location and a pretty good first impression.
Then it went downhill a little.

Receptionist couldn't log herself into her computer (!) No real problem for me, but she got stressed.
Room (#3801 iirc) was like an underground bunker, large room, but very little light and about as welcoming as a Travelodge on a rainy day. Few amenities other than a kettle and three tea bags.
Shower needs a damned good clean, as does the one window which was caked with grime - a drag of a finger across the glass was all I needed to know (thank you!)

TV bolted way high up the wall so you'll crick your next watching it and over half of the channels non-functional.

However, the main issues were these...
The room was adjacent to a kitchen work room/store, so I had someone banging about ALL evening till gone midnight AND THEN from 0615 the next morning - loud enough to prevent sleep.

Breakfast - touted as Full Scottish, I believe - was basic. Stewed cooked food in a warming tray that never got refreshed, THE most basic bread for toast, very limited selection of fruits and the most magic comment ever "On no, we don't do bacon here" (with ultra-patronising and disinterested tone).

Add to that a seemingly never ending stream of cleaning staff dragging and clattering their filthy vaccuum cleaner, (full, sloppy) bucket and mop right through the restaurant as you're getting your self-service breakfast certainly creates an impression.

Great potential wasted perhaps. The building is simply fantastic, and the main rooms very nicely decorated. That gets an extra "blob" on the ring from me (from 2 to a dizzy 3)

However, the rooms and staff need renovating and bringing up to standard to really justify the price.

They quote "Our brand new standard rooms offer comfortable space in a contemporary
environment" - I'd beg to differ having stayed a midweek night at £153.05 (!)

I have no doubt that the response here will be that it was "Festival month", but that can't be a valid excuse for poor room quality nor for disinterested staff.

(Overnight 20th August 2013)

Room Tip: On check-in make sure you're not underground, nor near a utility room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Stephen M, Manager at The Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear amdrewC

Thanks for your review

I am sorry that the hotel was not to your liking.

We had a new member of staff accessing the store next to your room who hadn't been fully briefed as to the silent approach required there. I am sorry if he disturbed you.

Our breakfast receives a great many compliments, is regularly refreshed throughout the morning and consists of cooked items of the highest quality. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it but I can confidently say that this is a personal taste issue.

Our operational procedures concerning morning housekeeping tasks are under review and your comments have been passed to the head housekeeper. This is not an easy problem to resolve because of the layout of the hotel but your remarks are valid.

Despite it being 'Festival Month' we went to great lengths to ensure that we were not overpriced and offered value for money to visitors to the city. I am sure you checked prices at other establishments before you booked and found that to be the case.

Readers should once again note that we do not have any rooms here which are 'underground'

Hotel Manager.
Albinyana, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Of course finding somewhere to stay at a reasonable price during the Edinburgh festival is a nightmare but we thought we had done quite well when we booked this place....Non refundable I guess means they don't care what you think once you've paid because we ended up in a mini mini room on the third floor with no lift access so a very long haul up the stairs to bed. We were there for 5 nights during which we had to live out of our suitcases as there was no wardrobe or any other kind of storage space.One of the bonuses of the place we were told was the stylish bar but this was closed most of the time and certainly not open late in the evening when we would have enjoyed a drink on our way to bed.On the plus size I could say the location was good, easy access to the train & bus stations however, it was extremely noisy during our visit as the street was in the midst of overhaul to prepare it for the new tramway.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter, insist on ground or 1st floor room at most cos no lift.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 428Chris

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I am not really sure what type of room you booked as opposed to the actual room occupied. I can only assume that we provided what you booked so I am sorry if that didn't meet your needs.

Our bar is available 24 hours for resident in accordance with our licence and is always staffed or attended by the night team. Very occasionally the bar will be momentarily unmanned as the staff member may have to replenish stock etc, but there are no lengthy periods where the bar is 'closed' or even unmanned.

Our future guests will be pleased to know that THE TRAMWORKS HAVE FINISHED and we look forward to seeing our first 'test tram' in the next few weeks before the service goes 'live' next spring. The road outside has re-opened and the drillers and diggers have all gone, hopefully never to return.

Thanks again for your review

Hotel Manager

Been to The Place? Share your experiences!