“Not nice !” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not nice !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I went for a meal with my husband. The staff never really acknowledged us. When I went to the carvery, I waited for ages. Eventually one of the bar staff went to get the chef to serve me. I should have just left then. When he came to serve me it seemed like a chore for him. When I went to add my vegetables they were all dried up because they had been lying so long. I won't be back.

Visited November 2011

edinburgh
“Great views and Service at Toby Lauriston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Personally I would not take young children to this restaurant unless you are sitting outside as there is no play area. In these recession type days sometimes cheap and cheerful is what you want. As you can have as much meat as you like I don't think it matters how thick the meats cut. i always have the beef which is generally very tasty. Obviously if you're there when the vegetables are out fresh they will have a better taste but you can get your 5 a day here in one sitting. I quite often have the freshly cooked fish dish which although dearer is still good value. I've also never managed to go back for extra veg but obviously a lot do. Sometimes there's a queue if a lot of people arrive at once. However the food is good value, the drinks are remarkably cheap and our waitress Nicola was very cheerful and couldn't do enough for us. Restaurant also has great views over the Forth. I will be back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marbella, Spain
“Toby tales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This Toby, like all similar ones is great value but has its failings. The food is quite good for carvery and the drinks prices good too so your bill will be reasonable and the credit card machine is not set up for tipping so that has to be done separately in cash though sadly we got the impression that tipping was not completely normal. We have noticed here before now that the staffing gets lower at about 7.30 pm so service for another drink is abysmal. We had two little people with us and we had to ask. 3 times for some ketchup which is not on display and worse, the activity books which kids colour took and age to arrive and they had run out of crayons. This whilst not important to many meant that other diners had to tolerate young children who though well behaved and totally under control were distracted by everything going on in a busy estauarant with limited numbers of fast disappearing staff. We shall certainly go again but timing is key and I think earlier or later is better than 7 pm why they always fail with waiting staff is surprising as the carvery staff are very good

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kilmarnock
“Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were taking part in a half marathon so stocking up on carbs was essential the night before, which we were definitely able to do at the carvery. Good selection of veg and meat with a yorkshire pudding so big you could hardly fit it on your plate

Visited April 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cold food again.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Sometimes I like to eat plain fair in an easy to reach restaurant with ample parking and the Lauriston Farm which used to be a Toby's Carvery fits the bill. However, on yet another occasion, the food temperature was too cold. We sat next to two ladies who had also had the same experience in the same and a sister restaurant who were hoping for an improved performance this time.

The staff are friendly and attentive so when our waiter asked if everything was OK I mentioned the cold food, especially the veg. He went away and returned with the manager who was really helpful. She didn't make a fuss and offered to replace my entire meal after checking with kitchen staff about the temperature. Good result you'd think. But by the time the I got my replacement, my husband had eaten his meal which was also cold, but he is not one for commenting.

The replacement meal was only marginally better than the original one which leads me to the conclusion that there is possibly an equipment fault that needs addressing fast.

I made a further comment to the manager on departure which I hope will be taken on board. In fairness, they charged us the mid-week rate instead of the Sunday one by way of an apology but all we want is piping hot food.

Do I try again in the future? Risky I'd say.

• Visited May 2012