“fantastic and fresh” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Inverness, United Kingdom
“fantastic and fresh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

lovely little place in the centre of Edinburgh. The staff were very friendly and the service fantastic. The food was absolutely stunning and some of the best sushi I have ever had. you could tell that the fish was very fresh. I look forward to visiting again soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Taipei, Taiwan
“Best Sushi Restaurant in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

everything is really nice in this restaurant , from the environment, the sushi chef, service and the food! the whole restaurant is very clean! (the cooking bar, all the table, floor, toilet..)
service is perfect! (the waitress always smile to you!)
food is wonderful! from sushi I had to the miso soup!
prices are reasonable!
It's definitely an authentic japanese restaurant!! I'll visit here again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Sushiya's new(ish) sister restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We visited because we'd been told about it by the staff at our fav sushi place in Edinburgh, sushiya (they're owned by the same peeps). The quality of the food and service was excellent, similar to sushiya, but a much larger restaurant with a more varied menu. Would definitely recommend, especially if you can't get a table in sushiya, or if you don't fancy sitting in a stool!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“With no doubt, the best sushi in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We have been several times having dinner and always has been a really high quality sushi. Always amazing. With no doubt the best sushi in Edinburgh.

Visited April 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very overpriced but the service is excellent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I want to start out by saying that the service was enthusiastic, warm, and friendly. When we first came in our coats were taken for us. Our food was brought to us quickly, and our courses were moved through seamlessly, with a member of staff always ready to whisk away an empty plate or get us another drink. So kudos for that; truly great service can be hard to find in Edinburgh.

The food was... mixed. I will say that the tempura was hands down the best tempura I have ever had in my life. Wow. It was perfectly light, nothing was over- or under-cooked, and each piece was full of flavour. It also came out at the perfect temperature. I didn't have to wait to avoid a burned mouth. Seriously, if you go there try the vegetable tempura. My fiance also loved his chicken dumplings.

But I'm sad to say that I don't know what the hype is about re: the aubergine with miso. It was nearly inedible. I had really been looking forward to it, too! I like aubergine, I like miso, I wanted to like this dish. But it came out slimy with grease, drowning in a sickly sweet (yet somehow over-salted) sauce. It was so bad that I couldn't even finish it. I don't understand how people enjoy it.

The maki sushi portions were tiny. At the prices they were charging, I seriously expected more. Not so with the salmon nigiri; there was a LOT of delicious, fresh, succulent salmon on those nigiri, and they were definitely worth the price.

I split a rainbow roll with my fiance (we told them to hold the mayo), and it was lovely, but expensive. We had bowls of green tea ice cream for dessert, served with wooden spoons.

In summary:

Everything was tasty except for the miso aubergine. But, I am ashamed to admit, I walked away from my dinner still hungry. And for 35 pounds per person, you should get enough to fill you up. I hesitate to recommend this restaurant, because even with its good service and good food, I believe that it is still overpriced for what it is. The sushi at Tang's is comparable (I actually like their salmon and avocado maki better), and a nice meal there doesn't cost nearly as much. Unfortunately, the service at Tang's is pretty much non-existent. I suppose it's up to the individual diner to decide if good service is worth that price difference. I think me and my fiance will be sticking with the cheaper option.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere