Arrival experience: We checked in late afternoon. The young lady at the front desk was not very helpful. We had to ask multiple questions about how the parking worked and did not receive a clear response (we eventually learned we would have free parking). Check-in went smoothly otherwise. We are Marriott platinum elite members and were offered our bonus points or free gift from the snack area. We were not offered a room upgrade. But we had two different reservations at different rates and didn’t have to check-out and then back in to use our separate reservations spanning consecutive days.
Room (general): Large, bright room with sitting area with modern flat screen TV. The room has very modern furniture and decor. The room had a kitchenette with big sink, microwave, mini fridge, and mini dishwasher. All appliances were Bosch stainless steel. But our dishwasher was not maintained; it displayed a low salt code on the panel during our entire stay. Our room had a nice balcony sitting area. We had a sideways view of Edinburgh Castle from the balcony (looking to the right from our balcony).
Bathroom: Large wall cabinet above the sink for storage. Large but narrow shower (no tub). Bathroom was clean but with somewhat insufficient lighting.
Bed: Good king bed
Housekeeping: Housecleaning was below average for a Marriott affiliate but average for Scotland. Consistently housekeeping did not vacuum the floors. Lint and other debris was untouched day to day.
Restaurants: Small casual café with limited offerings on site. Free breakfast, but it fills up fast, so arrive early. Breakfast had a fairly good selection of standard items (bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, fruit, etc.). There are many restaurants nearby. There is also a small Sainsbury grocery store in the next building over.
Bar: There is a small bar with limited offerings in the casual café eating area in the lobby.
Grounds: This hotel is in the downtown area of Edinburgh with no real grounds. The Meadows (a huge public park) is within 100 meters of the hotel.
Staff attitude/service: The staff was very nice overall but not completely engaged. We had one minor incident though and the staff handled it acceptably. Our room key was improperly deactivated mid-stay (a bit frustrating), and the front desk clerk reactivated it. On the other hand, we recommended that the hotel website be updated with old-fashioned GPS coordinates to assist in navigation, and the staff seemed uninterested in the suggestion.
Parking and navigation to the hotel: This hotel is in the new area of Edinburgh where a large hospital had once been located. Our international TomTom GPS was not able to locate the hotel because Simpson Loan Quartermile is too new. It took us forever to find the hotel; fortunately, Scots are friendly and the random townspeople we begged for directions were helpful. Finally, a cab driver helped us navigate to the hotel. The parking is underground in an adjacent building. The parking garage was not well marked. Upon exiting the parking garage we had to walk around the entire building in which the hotel is located to find the entrance.
Parking tip: Ask for the parking access card whenever you need to take your car out of the car park/garage.
Navigation tip: Program your GPS to the intersection of Lauriston Place and Nightingale Way. Alternately, use Google Maps and review the area before trying to drive there.
Misc: This hotel does not have air conditioning in the rooms. Only the lobby has air conditioning. We were in Edinburgh during a warm spell, and it was very uncomfortable in our room. Although the balcony door opened wide, there is no air circulation. The hotel’s website should prominently disclose no a/c! I have been in Marriott hotels in many locales and never encountered one without a/c.
If you need to wash your clothes, this hotel provides free access to washing machines and dryers. But the machines are not maintained. If you use a dryer, you must empty the water tray prior to use.
For some high-res photos of this hotel, check out my photos on Flickr. My username on Flickr is utfiero.
About us: We’re irreverent, younger American professionals who travel regularly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We're delighted to bring you the UK's first Residence Inn by Marriott offering you short and long stay Edinburgh accommodation. Set a pace that suits you at Residence Inn by Marriott®. Whether you're with us for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, your daily routine matters. Located in the heart of Edinburgh in the new Quartermile development you have it all at your fingertips with Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street, the Meadows, the National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish Parliament all with in a few minutes walk. You'll thrive at Residence Inn with all the conveniences you need. Like spacious studio, superior studio and one bedroom suites with separate living, working, kitchen and sleeping areas. Complimentary grocery delivery service to fill your refrigerator and satisfy cravings. Complimentary internet for connecting to work and the outside world. Free hot breakfast to start mornings off right and evening social hours to end the day well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Residence Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Scotland