Stayed here for four nights recently and it turned out to be a very good choice. Was a little worried when the cab pulled up as we'd driven past several construction sites and the area seemed quite desolate, but luckily, that first impression proved faulty. The construction usually started after I awoke and never seemed particularly loud, so that wasn't a problem. The Quartermile area appears relatively new, so it's pretty modern. It's also a bit off the beaten path from the rest of the city, which means that it's nice and quiet. (Actually had no noise problems at all. I never even heard people in other rooms, so the walls must have been fairly sturdy.) But, despite that first impression, it's actually a reasonably well travelled area by foot and there were always people walking around when we were out, so I never felt unsafe. And, it's close enough to walk to anything you need to see or well serviced by a number of different bus lines. I couldn't have asked for a better location, really.
As for the room, it was a good size, had modern fixtures and furnishings, and was really all I could have hoped for, especially given the very good rate (99 GBP per night). Yes, there are floor to ceiling windows and you're looking into either an apartment building or an office building, so you have to be careful to pull the curtains before doing anything you wouldn't want anyone else to see. But on the other hand, it meant the rooms were nice and bright and not at all dreary. It was nice to have the little kitchenette, and there was a supermarket right around the corner where you could stock up on a few items. Saw that many reviews talked about rooms being too hot; I actually had the opposite experience. I wished I could have turned the heat up a tad as I was chilly, but then I was there in December and it was, on average, in the 30s and 40s outside.
Facility, overall, was pleasant. Staff was friendly and can't argue with free wifi (especially since I'd just come from a Hilton that charged me 15 GBP per day!). Breakfast was included in the rate. It was typical of a Residence Inn, relatively cheap ingredients not always cooked that well (the pools of water the scrambled eggs were always swimming in was a sure sign that the eggs were overcooked), but it was serviceable food with plenty of options (cereal, tea, coffee, juices, pastries, cheese and cold cuts, eggs, bacon, sausages, and beans) that did the job of filling you up before you set off for the day without putting a dent in your wallet (every little bit counts with the terrible exchange rate!). The breakfast area was small and tables were very close together. It worked while I was there because it was off season and I don't think the hotel was very full, so there were never more than a few tables filled when we ate. But I can see how it could be uncomfortably crowded if the hotel was at capacity.
There were a few minor quibbles. As I said, quality of the food was a bit mediocre. The sink in my room had a slow drain so it filled with water every time I washed my hands or brushed my teeth and that was never seen to. The window in my room never closed quite properly, and probably contributed to the room being a bit on the cool side. Oddly, they mopped the hardwood floors and tile, but never seemed to vacuum the area rug, which could have used it. But overall, none of these things ruined the experience. I was very happy with my stay here and if I were to return to Edinburgh, I would absolutely consider returning to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We're delighted to bring you the UK's first Residence Inn by Marriott offering you short and long stay Edinburgh accommodation. Set a pace that suits you at Residence Inn by Marriott®. Whether you're with us for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, your daily routine matters. Located in the heart of Edinburgh in the new Quartermile development you have it all at your fingertips with Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street, the Meadows, the National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish Parliament all with in a few minutes walk. You'll thrive at Residence Inn with all the conveniences you need. Like spacious studio, superior studio and one bedroom suites with separate living, working, kitchen and sleeping areas. Complimentary grocery delivery service to fill your refrigerator and satisfy cravings. Complimentary internet for connecting to work and the outside world. Free hot breakfast to start mornings off right and evening social hours to end the day well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Residence Inn Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Residence Inn Edinburgh Scotland