“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Links Hotel

You added Links Hotel to your Saves list
Links Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Alvanley Terrace | Whitehouse Loan, Edinburgh EH9 1DU, Scotland (Bruntsfield)   |
Ranked #74 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here for a hen do in May, fantastic hotel! Lovely rooms, very comfortable, great breakfast the next morning! Staff where great very helpful! Would def stay here again great hotel! We got taxi's into the centre which only took about 5mins so handy!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Robsthomson, General Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Although I was not yet in my role in May I have taken on the stewardship of a lovely hotel with a fantastic staff team and it is no surprise that you benefited from this when you stayed. I trust the wedding was equally great, our congratulations to the happy couple!

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I went with some friends for a dinner out and I loved it. The food was tasty and the terrace outside is wonderful. I ordered a glass of red wine which was pretty good too. The manager of the bar/hotel came outside to check and ask if everything was ok; very nice gesture. I recommend the nachos!!!

Stayed July 2014
Good morning,

I do indeed remember saying 'hello' so it's lovely to see you have taken the time to write a review, especially as we provided you with a comfortable and happy stay. I am particularly pleased to read that you enjoyed our Nachos - something I find so many places do badly. Ours are made with 100% steak mince, home made salsa and we always provide a generous portion!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Links Hotel

Regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was visiting Edinburgh for my son's PhD graduation and this hotel couldn't have been in a better position as it was near where my son lived but also within walking distance to the University through the "Meadows".
The staff were very friendly & polite & nothing too much trouble.
The rooms were spotless & very well decorated & had excellent facilities - a big plus was that the towels were beautiful & soft & very white.
Breakfast was excellent & quickly served.
Although the worls cup was on & the bar full it was still very quiet in the room.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Good morning,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you found the time to highlight all the little touches we have here to make your stay a memorable one. Congratulations on your sons graduation and we look forward to welcoming you all back in due course.

Kind Regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers). Stayed 1 night. Room was just above pub but it was not noisy. Very nice family room, big, high ceilings, clean, bay window with sofa. The only issue was bad TV reception during world cup. Could not watch or listen to TV. We did not ask why...as were too tired. Parking is free at night and weekend. Would stay again, despite TV issue as beleive it was temporary and just our bad luck (should have asked for help).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Robsthomson, General Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It will be small consolation but had you asked for assistance still would not have found a solution on this evening as the TV issue required a professional engineer to access our rooftop - it was remedied as quickly as possible and I hope it did not hamper your enjoyment too much. We have 8 large screens in our public areas with fantastic world cup atmospheres in recent weeks but after a long journey it is understandable why you wished to watch in the comfort of your room and I am sorry you were unable to do so.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The good ...

Staff is excellent. Hotel in excellent location and parking is accessible even though it is public paid parking. Food is great! Decor is super trendy and modern! Rooms are very nice and updated.

The bad....

THE MATRESSES. Yes plural. We ended up swapping rooms because the first room was on a corner suite and the window did not have blackout curtains. This tends to be a huge issue during summer since daylight lasts till about 11pm or soo. The other issue was the damn mattress was soo shot that even though we had to flip it, we realized that the base was also in need of replacement. Literally when we would move around the springs were popping and unable to provide any support. Well......we swapped rooms and unfortunately ......SAME ISSUE. Huge disappointment. The springs would literally continue to pop up after we got out of the bed. FYI my husband and I are both fit so the problem wasn't us. Huge disappointment because the hotel was soo promising. I also noticed that the toilette roll holder was broken also. I kinda feel as though the manager has not been doing room checks with the cleaning staff and also that the cleaning staff is not reporting maintainence issues. Complete disconnect between the two. Again....why have they not replaced the damn MATTRESSES?! If we had to stay another night, we were prepared to find another hotel. Our sleep was that bad.

In addition to the shot mattresses, and items like spotty internet, forgotten wake up call, digital cable broken, broken toilette holder, broken soap dispenser in the shower, leaking hose for shower (which my husband fixed) - I regretfully give this hotel 3 stars.

Overall, if the management tightens up communication with the cleaning staff and actually does room inspections, this hotel could be 5 star. Unfortunately when a guest swaps rooms because a mattress is that terrible...it is unacceptable. I wish I could say I was being picky but it was I cannot make up something like that.

Room Tip: I would honestly request a room that has blackout curtains and also request staff to check the mattr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,

Thank you for such a comprehensive and detailed review. As the recently appointed General Manager all feedback is vital to my development of the product and services we offer. I have had the pleasure of staying here a few times and I find the mattresses very comfortable and I am sorry that you felt otherwise.

I am delighted to have made a number of key appointments already and we have a very experienced Housekeeper joining us next week with a wealth of experience to assist my team and I in ensuring all rooms and in immaculate condition.

Thank you for taking the time to post a balanced and detailed review and I am sure we will see improvements very soon to the areas highlighted.

Ostrava, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I haven’t written my review yet, even if I visited this hotel in September last year, as I still wasn’t sure how to evaluate and I wanted to be fair.
We visited as a group of 10 friends for 4 nights and the first impression was great, we mostly liked our rooms (even if there was a huge difference in a quality between a twin and a double- the twin was much better), staff were excellent and breakfast was lovely too. The position of the hotel was good too, we didn’t mind walking to the centre.
However, some people, including our twin-room, had problems with a lock, it wasn’t easy to open or close the door (It seemed to me I had a 4* room with a 2* door) We would be absolutely delighted but the last evening, before our flight home, two of us couldn’t get into their room as the lock was broken. They had to wait till late evening for some fitter to fix it, which was unpleasant. Fortunately, they were not a couple with a baby or elderly people, so they didn’t mind so much.
The manager compensated them by an open bill in a bar and some price reduction, which was nice and because of that I’m not going to evaluate them badly. I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a twin room- it's much bigger than a double.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Robsthomson, General Manager at Links Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Good afternoon,

As the newly appointed General Manager I am delighted to read that your stay with us was one which would encourage you to return. I shall certainly be working on any small issues which are brought to our attention to ensure our guest stays are as seamless and relaxing as possible. Feedback such as this in invaluable in assisting me to achieve this and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Kind regards

Robin Thomson
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The saying ... Don't judge a book by its cover definitely applies to this hotel. On arrival with my two children I wasn't certain what to expect. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. The staff member Chris who checked us in went above and beyond the level of service I have ever received. I am not an easy person to please and he managed. Nothing was to much trouble and he had a smile while sorting out my requests. Although there was a limited menu the food was fresh and well presented. All the staff were really friendly and I appreciated the fact that my children were not treated as a problem but were engaged with. The room was spotless the beds were very comfortable, loved the shower, the room was light and big enough for our needs. Even parking was not a problem. For the price we paid it was worth far more. Thank you for a fantastic stay and we will defiantly be back and recommending you to anyone we know that is going to Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As the newly appointed General Manager and with 2 children of my own I am doubly delighted that we made you and your family feel welcome. Chris is a real asset to us and I will be sure to share your feedback with him.

I have only yesterday appointed a new Head Chef and we already have our summer menus ready to roll out in the coming days so we will see improvements in our selection I am sure.

Robin Thomson

Been to Links Hotel? Share your experiences!