“Terrible coffee” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Loudons Cafe and Bakery

Loudons Cafe and Bakery
94B Fountainbridge, Edinburgh EH3 9QA, Scotland (West End)
+44 131 228 9774
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #800 of 1,899 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Healthy, Café, Tea Room, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: We are an independent family run and family friendly cafe and bakery. Freshly made is our hallmark....everything is made daily including soups, salads, quiches, pizza, bread and cakes. Uncompromising in our coffee beans supplied by Artisan Roast and our loose leaf teas from Pekoe Tea. We serve up one of the best breakfasts and all day Weekend brunches in town and are famed for our Eggs Benny. We feel that customers with food intolerances should not have to put up with bland choices and pride ourselves in creating interesting and tasty cakes, bread, soups etc. that can be enjoyed by vegans, vegetarians and coeliacs alike.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrible coffee”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

A very nice looking cafe with plenty of room. We asked for 2 dry cappuccinos but they were full of milk they tried to make them again but with no success. So many cafes produce cappuccinos in cups which are too large and you end up with a latte.

Visited November 2012

Cork, Ireland
“Good...But Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Here's what's good about Loudens. It's a really nicely designed space - bright and airy, free wifi, couches, magazines...nice place to chill out and relax. There's an array of absolutely mouth watering cakes and treats on display when you walk in the door. Not only do they look amazing they're pretty delicious too! The food all tastes fresh and good quality. The coffee is also very good.

I think where Loudens falls short sometimes is in service. Its usually a Sunday morning when I visit...probably one of its busiest times of the week. Whilst sometimes things have run smoothly and things have come as they should, in a timely manner - too frequently has there been long waits, coffees coming 20 mins before food, food arriving cold etc. There needs to be a slicker service system. I've stopped going so often now as was were let down on a few occasions...last time my eggs benedict were cold but I ate them without complaint as I'd waited so long I was too hungry to be fussed. Its not cheap...so for what you pay I expect the best. Loudens is good...but it could be great.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Sunday Morning Calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited for breakfast on a Sunday morning and really enjoyed the space, soft seats and wonderful food & coffee. Much homemade loveliness and great variety from cooked breakfasts to continental or soup. Could have stayed there all day.

Visited November 2012
Scotland
“Spacious cafe and excellent cake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stopped here for a coffee at 4pm on a weekday and there were quite a number of people busy with laptops - I guess this will be quite normal for the cafe as it is on edge of a business district. The people at the next table were having a meeting, which wasn't great for the ambience! There are different sized tables and sofas and the large space is nicely broken up with shelving.
I had a lovely piece of lemon and lime cake with my coffee, really good.
There are some gluten free cakes. The cafe does takeaway too.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“SUPERB SOUP AND SALADS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a real asset to the Edinburgh scene of coffee shops. It is large with an outdoor area to sit but unfortunately it does not get the sun due to its location. The food is top quality with unusual combinations of vegetables to make the soup. My only question is why are they so strict about time. They will not serve you soup until 12 on the dot! Sometimes when I go there I would like to buy soup at 11.30. This seems a crazy rule. Overall it is a great venue for meeting over coffee or lunch.

Visited October 2012