“A good one, but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edinburgh Lodge Hotel

You added Edinburgh Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
Edinburgh Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   6 Hampton Terrace | West Coates, Edinburgh EH12 5JD, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #149 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
“A good one, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

We stayed at this hotel on Easter weekend. Knowing that our chosen weekend was going to be a busy one, we knew and agreed to pay the higher tariffs offered by the hotel.
The hotel is conveniently located, and for the lazy ones it is frequently served (every 5 min maybe) by several bus lines that go to the city centre, so you can leave your car in the hotel’s parking lot (finding parking in central Edinburgh can be hectic and expensive). We always preferred to do the walking, so can’t comment on transportation, but heard is a good service for a reasonable price.

Our room was fantastic (see attached pics). Spotless, tidy and very well decorated. The complimentary wine, chocolates and water was a tasteful touch. Bath was big, utterly clean and had a great shower (it lacked a little pressure though). The hotel offers free wireless internet, but we had to go to the parking lot to have a slight signal, however, the hotel offers a desktop computer to use free of charge. Overall, the installations were very nice and I better let the pics do the talking.

Unfortunate downside: I already made my point at the beginning, that it was a VERY busy weekend, but also that the hotel raised their usual rates, which we agreed to pay. The first morning we went to have our breakfast (BF). There were 2 people in the kitchen and only one person serving in the BF room. Unfortunately, this person was on her 1st day at the job, and got all the orders wrong… moreover, she took our order but our BF never came, instead she brought our BF to other guests that arrived later, then apologized because she forgot what we had ordered half a hour ago!!!. This summarizes a series of errors she made that day. We had to leave with no BF at all, because we were being late for a paid tour we arranged that day. Manager NEVER showed up, even though we left a note to speak to him/her the evening of that same day. Manager assistant showed up next day (just before we left, and because we asked again). Not the waitress fault, manager shouldn’t have put inexperienced staff for such a busy weekend, or should have paid another person along with the new one (there’s a reason why you charge more than your average rate for busy weekends). What a pity… because apart from that we really liked the hotel.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2006

Yes this hotel is in a good location, very handy for Haymarket station and buses into town and yes, when you walk in the decor looks very impressive but I have to say I was disappointed. When I arrived I was very quickly given my key, told breakfast was between 8 and 9 and given my bill. I felt like I was being a bit of an inconvenience. On entering my room I was almost knocked out by the smell of paint. My window was open and I was going out for the evening so I just left it but on return I couldn't close the main outside window, did manage to get the inside window shut so I was ok for the night. The room was cramped, too much furniture in one room and the bathroom was not up to 4 star standards. Having stayed in an excellent guest house a few doors along the road the previous week I was generally just quite disappointed with this one and would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

We stayed in this hotel in January and before heading over to Edinburgh, I was a little apprehensive that we could have found a better deal for the money.

Need not have worried - the hotel is in an excellent location and is walking distance from everywhere. Edinburgh is very compact! Staff were really helpful and organised for me to check in early.

The rooms were warm and comfortable. Terrestial television. Lots of towels in the bathroom although the shower wasn't a power shower which I was surprised at. I thought the beds were great!

Only downside for me was that my room was on the ground floor near the breakfast room and as I am a light sleeper, general noise of people milling around woke me up quite early. Obviously, this wasn't a fault of the hotels.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

The proprieters were lovely as was the general feel of the hotel, more a bed and breakfast. The breakfast was excellent, with a nice view of the back garden. The room was nicely decorated and clean. The only drawback was that the bed wasn't very comfortable, quite firm.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

Comfortable pleasant room, very clean, however overall does not deserve the 4 star rating it has. The hotel website states that amongst other facilities there is a lounge & bar. On arival at 7:30 pm we were shown the restaurant, told breakfast was between 8 - 9 am (10 am would have been better, we were on holiday after all) and given our key. After quickly unpacking we returned to reception to ask about the other promised facilities i.e. the lounge and bar only to be told that the lounge was locked as guests preferred, when not out sightseeing, to stay in their rooms!! We asked about the bar, yes you have guessed it the bar is in the lounge. The website also promises a full scottish breakfast. The cereals, fruit juices etc. were fine (but who cannot open a box/carton) but the cooked breakfast was extremely disappointing for a 4 star rated establishment, poor quality ingredients and badly cooked. One other complaint was the size of the shower cubicle, my husband is only 5 11" and average build but anyone bigger would find it a very snug fit indeed. 3 star B & B would be more appropriate.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Edinburgh Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!