“cant fault it at all! JULY 20 TH” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Salisbury Hotel

You added The Salisbury Hotel to your Saves list
The Salisbury Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43-45 Salisbury Road | Newington, Edinburgh EH16 5AA, Scotland   |
Ranked #63 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“cant fault it at all! JULY 20 TH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

booked in early with no problems,staff couldn't have been more helpful. Room which was the Blackett was more than adequate for me my husband and son ,the room opened out onto the garden which was walled and private.
Beds where MASSIVE and so comfy great nights sleep.Continental breakfast was very good plenty to eat, cooked breakfast if you wanted one at a little extra cost but we didn't need one.We stayed 2 nights and would recommend it to our friends just far enough out of the hussel and bussel 20 min walk to princess street . THANK YOU for a great stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MrandMrsWoods, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted that you had a great experience staying with us. At the Salisbury Hotel we are proud to have an excellent Front of House team who are friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable about a great many aspects of Edinburgh. They are always more than happy to go that extra mile to ensure that all of our guests’ requests and queries are met and expectations exceeded.

Our Family rooms are comfortable, spacious and leisurely; the perfect base from which to explore the wonderful tourist attractions on offer in Edinburgh such as the Castle, Holyrood Palace and the National Museum. Continental Breakfast is included in all of our rates and we have a great selection of breakfast items for you to feast upon to start your day.

Many guests comment favorable on the Hotel’s location. In the centre of the city some hotels are surrounded by traffic or have rooms situated above a night club. We are happy to be located in a quite residential area just beside Arthur’s Seat and located off any busy main roads. Yet we are close enough to the Royal Mile that you can reach it in a leisurely 20 minute stroll or a 5 minute bus journey.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night and I couldn't help wondering how Tripadvisor ratings were so good compared to our dismal experience. Where do I start?

We arrived at lunchtime having travelled from a beautiful part of Scotland. This hotel ratings were good according to this site and they offered car parking which is of a premium in places like Edinburgh. We had "arranged" early booking-in but the young lad in the reception who reluctantly opened the front door, knew nothing about this and stated that we'd have to wait until 3pm. He displayed a lack of interest consistant with us disturbing his day and suggested we got the 'bus into town and come back later.

We checked in later after enjoying some lunch in a charming little Milnes pub in Edinburgh. First impressions were that this hotel was tired, carpets were dirty and we were glad it was only going to be one night. We then went back into the City to have a look around and also enjoyed our evening meal out at the Salisbury Arms along the road from this hotel.

Right then, back to the hotel room...

The carpet in the room was heavy dark tweed and despite this, was still showing areas of dirt or spillages. Walking barefoot, I noticed I was picking bits up on my feet. The television was about 7 feet from the floor and so too was the extractor fan switch. The paintwork around the windows was due for a lick of paint and more shabby than chic or charming character, in keeping with the period of the house. The pictures in the room were all filthy dirty with dust accumulating behind them. The bed was the saving grace. It was clean, fresh and comfortable. We were aware (or given the impression when booking) that the hotel was fully booked so looking to change was probably not an option.

The en-suite was compact to say the least. The towels had a few dirty stains and one was wet as though it had been used and put back. The toilet enamel had a crack in it and so too did the sink. The rubber "feet" on the toilet seat had been picked off too, suggesting some abuse of the facilities had taken place. The shower screen was right next to the toilet and there was urine splashes up it. I dropped the soap onto the floor and was equally disgusted at what was now stuck on my soap. Enough detail, it's sufficient to say that his room had not been cleaned properly, if at all! The reception is not staffed after 10pm so who was going to do anything and what could they do? I decided to just accept that this was a shabby place but Tripadvisor needs to know. We had after all booked a Superior room expecting the luxury that was stated all over their website! Trading standards and Health Inspectors are the only people I'd recommend to go here. The photos on the website are a credit to the photographer.

The following morning we went for breakfast. We went down the filthy carpet and the stairs into the basement area they call the bistro. The bistro room wasn't bad actually but there was a table with cheeses and meats etc on plates. I'm no expert but I would think that it was a bit unhygenic to put food out this way rather than keeping it chilled in a semi-covered unit? The breakfast was poor and we were confused by what we were actually allowed to have. My breakfast was passed to me over my girlfriend so she had the pleasure of checking out the underarm deodorant of the waitress, rather than walk behind us and pass it between us. On leaving the bistro, I could now see what was causing the dirty carpet up the stairs, the kitchen looked dirty, enough said.

We checked out. The same lad was busy on his computer? He hardly acknowledged me but did give me a receipt with barely a word spoken. There was no customer service or interest shown and I decided not to bother giving him a summary of things I wasn't happy about. It was interesting to note that there was a small visitor's comments book on the counter. Numerous pages had been ripped out and only favourable comments were in that book. Draw your own conclusions.

The final insult came when writing this review. My girlfriend pointed out that the website says in the small print that they charge for using a credit card which was never explained to me when making my payment. Is this a legal requirement? This was the final straw of a shabby over-priced, over-rated hotel...

Room Tip: The only people I'd recommend to go to this hotel would be trading standars and health inspector...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MrandMrsWoods, General Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. At the Salisbury Hotel we pride ourselves on offering our customer’s an excellent service, so please accept our most sincere apologies that you did not leave the hotel satisfied. As anyone can see from our TripAdvisor reviews we have an excellent track record of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and more.
The Guest did not make the hotel aware of your concerns
All of the Salisbury Hotel’s staff are trained to the highest standard and are always happy to assist a guest with whatever they require from the moment they arrive at the hotel. However it is every guest’s responsibility to make us aware of any concerns or complaints, without which it is impossible for us to take corrective action and make your experience a happy one! Simply posting a review on Tripadvisor is not in our view a fair or responsible manner in which to raise concerns – if you feel that strongly you must in future make the hotel aware of your requirements as a minimum.
Request for early check-in
Our policy is to write and confirm an early checkin has been requested; we can find no evidence of your request for an early checkin and our system has an area to log special requests simply and efficiently.
Guests can check-in to their rooms from 3pm but if they wish an earlier check-in time we will happily accommodate them where possible. All guests who request an early check-in time are informed that we will aim to have their room ready by there requested time by email
Welfare and Cleanliness of Hotel
The Salisbury Hotel’s rooms are cleaned and maintained everyday as standard and each room is deep cleaned regularly. If a room was not to one of our guest’s satisfaction we would endeavor to make it so, or swap their room where possible. Our staff would have under no circumstances supplied a room with a wet, dirty or used towel. Our en-suites are checked for any maintenance issues everyday to ensure everything is in full working order.
All websites where the Salisbury Hotel’s rooms are for sale include our reception opening times. Upon check-in all of our guests are informed that after 10pm they can call the hotel’s offsite Night Porter should they have any queries or require any assistance at all. With regards to Credit Card payments receiving a Sur-Charge, all of this information is displayed in full upon our website and at reception so that guests can make the decision to pay by other means if they wish.
All room rates are inclusive of Continental Breakfast. Each table has a Cooked Breakfast Menu including the prices of items should our guests wish something cooked with which to start their day. Our Breakfast staff are excellent at what they do, conducting themselves professionally and servicing our guests in a friendly manner.
Our rating, services and safety measures are all inspected and accredited by the relevant governing bodies and we are very proud to have our 4-Star rating. Our advice for guests would be if you are not satisfied with something in any hotel, bring these issues to the attention of the staff straight away so that they may fix the problem or compensate you in some way. We welcome all praise and constructive criticism equally. We would have no need to alter our comments book when TripAdvisor offers travelers around the world a far more effective way to share their excellent experiences with us.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope that you enjoyed the rest of what Edinburgh had to offer.
Flinders, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

From the minute our party of 8 stepped into this hotel we were all made very welcome. The staff we very helpful and made us and my 4 children comfortable. The 2 room that we had we absolutely gorgeous and huge, spotless and the beds were so comfy. The little extra's in the rooms like chocolate covered marshmallows and hot chocolates were a big hit with the kids. Our room was downstairs and had double doors opening onto a little paved area and then a path led up to a big grassed area with swings for the kids and an outside drinking area for the adults. The hotel itself is in a side street with a convenience store on the corner and a bus stop only 30 seconds away that takes only a few stops to get to the centre of the royal mile. I have to say that breakfast was the only thing i was a little dissapointed with, there wasn't a huge variety but still it tasted good and filled me up for the day ahead. A few of the breakfast staff were a different nationality and came across a bit rude. Overall I think it's a fantastic place and if I'm ever lucky enough to be back in Edinburgh, I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Rothesay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed just for one night (4th July), prior to attending the Thistle service at St Gile's Cathedral. We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We had a lovely ground floor room overlooking the garden. The gentleman on reception could not have been more helpful, insisting on taking our cases and checking that we were happy with everything.
This hotel is a little gem that I would be happy to reccomend to anyone visiting Edinburgh and also the excellent French restaurant, Cassis, that occupies the basement of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are happy that we were able to provide for you an outstanding service. We are very grateful for this and all the many other excellent reviews we receive on TripAdvisor.

The Salisbury Hotel is located a mere 25-minute walk from St. Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile, which hosts a myriad of other tourist attractions including Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament.

Our Superior Double rooms which are located on all floors of the building offer our guests everything they could need for a comfortable and relaxing stay away from home, including en-suite shower rooms, hairdryers, irons, TVs, iPod docking stations, complimentary WiFi connectivity, and complimentary refreshments including mineral water and a selection of teas and coffees.

We train our staff to the highest standard and they are always happy to go to any lengths to ensure that our guests receive an excellent and friendly service, and leave us having had a wonderful stay.

The Salisbury Hotel is very fortunate to house Café Cassis; this family run bistro owned by Alison and Denis Guillonneau offers guests and customers an excellent menu with Gallic flair served by a friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh soon.
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Big issue at night time, because after 10:00 o'clock reception is closed.
To get back in the hotel you need to ring the night porter (wich is somewhere else in the city I suppose) and if you're fortune enough you'll get into your room after 15 min. I was fortune because my girlfriend came down to open the door for me.(she was awake because before me others guest did have the same problem and from the 1st floor you can hear the noise in the front hall).Get a phone call by the night porter after call him twice without responce, and ask him where he was...he could not give me an answer.Told him that the day after I would like to speak with a manager and to do not call my number again because I was already in and going to sleep, and what he did? Call me in my room again after 5min make me awake again(two day after the responce manager letter explain to me that he did that to make sure I was in my room, that he did already knew it because I informed him of that) went down reception and he was not there again.Ridiculous!!! Sleepless night and very absetting situation!
The glasses provide with the bottle of wine in the room were dirty and actually plenty of dust. (POOR)

Room Tip: The room was facing the main entrance which is close to the road, bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. At the Salisbury Hotel we pride ourselves on offering our customers an excellent service, including 24-hour access to the premises, so please accept our most sincere apologies for this unfortunate incident.

Our reception opening hours are between 8am and 10pm, after which time our off-site Night Porter located two minutes along the road can be called in the case of an emergency. All of our guests are informed of these facts upon arrival. In order to gain access to the Hotel after 10pm you do not need to call the Night Porter; all reserved rooms are supplied with a key card that allows guests 24-hour access to both their room and the Hotel’s main front doors. Should any room require any extra cards they can ask at reception and we will happily supply them with one.

The Friday of this event our usual Night Porter was on the first day of a two week holiday and the Duty Manager was on his very first night shift. When he had missed the guest’s initial call, his mobile phone records showed he called the guest back within two minutes to ascertain the nature of the call. Our Night Porter came to the Hotel straight away to ensure the guest had gained entry to the premises and when he could not see him he phoned the room to make sure the guest was safe. With regards to other guests having a problem gaining access to the Hotel, none made any comments to our staff the next day and CCTV showed nothing of the sort either.

It was a series of ill-timed events that led to this regrettable situation and we would once more like to offer our apologies to the guest and assure our future guests that this was a singular incident.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We chose this hotel based on tripadvisor review, as we were looking for a hotel which is near to the city center and yet provides free parking.Though with limited carpark space, the hotel staff was very friendly and told us if the parking space is full, we can park behind any car, and they will help us to move the car if needed. The hotel offers free wifi and buffet breakfasts were included in the room rate too. A little surcharge applied if you ordered hot food from the breakfast menu. However the breakfast spread such as freshly cut fruits, yoghurt, cereal, ham, croissant, toasties were more than enough for us.

We stayed at the ground floor double bed room facing the garden. The room was cozily decorated, but I found a bit old. There were chipped wall tiles in the bathroom. The shower control button had also kept dropping out. Water flowed out of the shower room which made the floor wet. I guess the room needs some fixing and touching up.

A few steps down to the main road, there are few buses travelling to the city center. Despite the two days in Edinburgh were raining, we still took a slow walk of approx 25 mins down town (you can reach Old Town-Royal Mile, Waverley station-for hop-on-hop off bus, princes street-the main shopping street), as we wanted to explore the nearby shops and restaurants along the way. Holyrood park is within 10 mins walking distance, though we didnt have time to visit it.

We had also had our first night's dinner at Cafe Cassis, which was located at the lower floor of the hotel. The reception staff had even helped us made the reservation. The food was simply delicious, especially completed the meal with a cup of aromatic illy coffee.

Overall, this hotel gives us a welcoming atmosphere and of ideal location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. The Salisbury Hotel is fortunate to have the rarity of a free private car park for its residents, and while parking is limited to 10 spaces for 18 rooms it is even rarer that we can not accommodate all our guests.

The Hotel also offers free complimentary Wi-Fi making us an ideal location for both business trips and relaxation. All of our rates are inclusive of a Continental Breakfast Buffet and for a little extra our guests can enjoy a delicious Cooked Breakfast.

The Hotel is located a mere 20-minute stroll from the city center and around the corner guests can catch one of 10 frequent buses that will take them to all the major attractions in 5-minutes.

Café Cassis is an independent restaurant housed in the Salisbury Hotel. It offers an excellent menu with French flair and local, fresh produce, and guests receive a 10% discount on evening meals.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Its location, staff, food, cleanliness all worth the value. I highly recommend anyone visiting Edinburgh to put this hotel in their list.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
, Manager at The Salisbury Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your excellent review. The Salisbury Hotel is fortunate to be located in a residential area that is close enough to the city centre to allow easy access to all the major attractions, yet quiet enough to allow our guests total relaxation. Our entire staff is dedicated to ensuring that all our guests have a wonderful stay by ensuring all of our services are of the highest standard. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh on your next visit.

Been to The Salisbury Hotel? Share your experiences!