“Fabulous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

You added The Balmoral Hotel to your Saves list
The Balmoral Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Princes St, Edinburgh EH2 2EQ, Scotland (Princes Street and Gardens)   |
Ranked #6 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed over New Year, for four days. It was fantastic, the staff were amazing, and truly make the hotel.
We went to the Hogmany Ball on New Year's eve as well - it was great fun, expensive, but worth every penny.
I would say that a Hotel of this quality should have a better gym, and charging for wireless seems a bit cheap, given the cost of the room. Not much to whinge about though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the City.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was a treat arranged by my husband. From the arrival to the departure everything was elegant and relaxing. Our suite was superb and a lovely surprise. The Balmoral is unfaultable anyone who has the privilege to stay their will have an unforgettable experience. I'm thinking about treating my mum along with afternoon tea for her 80th birthday later on this year. Thank you to all the staff you helped to make our weekend a very special unforgettable one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

3 times we were staying in Balmoral - The best place to stay! Service, stuff, quality - perfect.
Breakfast - Fantastic. Room - big, comfortable, bathroom - new, designed, very clean.
Stuff - friendly and very professional. Spa - very nice place.
Location - number one in Edinburgh. Its second year we spend here Xmas week - never disappointing. Its not cheap, but it worse it.
One small comment - wifi could be free..
Best regards to all stuff and I wish you a very happy New year!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review following your most recent visit to The Balmoral Hotel. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your Christmas stay with us and had time to make full use of our facilities, from our delicious Scottish breakfast to the peace and tranquillity of our Spa. Your comments regarding the professionalism and warmth of service from my colleagues are especially appreciated and it will be a pleasure to share you feedback with the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again during 2013.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
perth, scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Visited here with my missus to undertake a wee bit of Xmas shopping in Edinburgh.
First time we have stayed here and it was excellent, although we should have booked our evening meal at time of booking as all the eateries at the hotel were all fully booked so had to eat out at one of the restaurants in Edinburgh.
Will book again in the future and enjoy the gastronomic experience at the hotel that everyone has been craving....lol
Look forward to visiting again at around easter time, see you all then

Room Tip: Castle view is a must
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed overnight at The Balmoral in an inward facing room. It is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. At the cheapest rate, I expected the inward room but because I was on the top floor the room was bright and was overlooked by the iconic clock tower. The room itself was large, comfy, nicely finished and impeccably clean. The finer details were purely luxurious, it had the softest mattress and pillows (better than my own) and a huge marble surround bathtub. The rest of the hotel is beautiful, I only wish my stay was longer so I could have experienced more of it. The food I had was delicious and the spa was really nice.

The staff are the friendliest I have ever come across. They remembered me and acknowledged me by name every time I passed them, made conversation (because I was by myself) and nothing was too much trouble.

The location is perfect for a city stay or business trip. The entrance onto Princes Street from the train station is directly next to it, sight seeing buses are around the corner and the main shopping/eating areas are down the street or over the bridge.

I spent a second night in another hotel further down the street in a slightly more expensive room that didn't come close to the pure luxury of this hotel. It had the wow factor but lacked on the finer details.

There is no other hotel I would want to stay in should I return to Edinburgh, next time I will lengthen my stay and opt for a room with a view.

If you plan on visiting I recommend you ask for an inward room that is higher up or pay slightly more for a view if this is something you are bothered about; judging from other pictures my experience would have been slightly different if I was facing the kitchens or a wall. Also, be prepared to pay for the quality food they provide.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

stayed at this hotel with relatives for a hogmanay break and attended the Gala Ball. The whole experience was excellent and is something we will consider doing again.
The hogmanay event was excellent -- good food, good company, a variety of music to suit everyone and great views of the fireworks display. A most enjoyable and very relaxing way to bring in the New Year!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are a bit quieter, especially at the front of the building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed in The Balmoral from the 4th-6th January. Great hotel. I will normally always find something to moan about and so would my partner. Couldn't find a fault with this hotel. Rooms where spotless and staff where very pleasant. Only disappointment was didn't get a chance to eat in the restaurtant, due to outside committements.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends