“Very sceptical but converted” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shebeen

Shebeen
8 Morrison Street, Edinburgh EH3 8BJ, Scotland (West End)
+44 131 629 0261
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #197 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, African
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Located on Morrison street this new restaurant has plenty to offer. Great food and a relax atmosphere all adds to this little gem in the heart of the city
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very sceptical but converted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

As a saffa in Scotland I was very wary of the of the Shebeer Bar - I believed that it be one of those places serving typical meat/steakhouse dishes in a "themed" setting. I popped in over lunch expecting the worst but was very, very pleasantly surprised.

The service was friendly, maybe slightly slow possibly because the place filled up rather quickly.
The food was great - even the one vegetarian in our group was happy with the vegetarian bunny chow. The rare steak was cooked to perfection. The shared fanagalo basket and the boerewors rolls also went down a treat. The portions were generous and at the price we paid it was incredible value for money. I will be back to try out some of the typical traditional dishes and I really, really hope that the restaurant maintains the quality and standard of their food.

Oh - groups larger than 5 should preferably call and make a reservation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you love meat, lovely ambience, great service, look no further, this place is fantastic! We had the Fanagalo to start with (it was to die for), the steak and the Bunny Chow. Everything was delicious, and I can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had the burger and it was absolutely tremendous. The better half had the rack of ribs which she devoured.

Excellent. Will be returning in the very near future!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Steak, Steak and more steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Three of us ate here on Monday 27th May 2013. I quite liked the bar in Leith and wanted to try the new place. I was interested to see what the food would be like but was confident it would be good. Anyway arrived around 9pm and there was plenty of space. The staff welcomed us in and advised us on what beers we may like. The menu is pretty much all meat so don't bother if you are a vege. The steaks come in two size portions. A lion size which is over 500g or a cheetah size under 500g. I think the lion size rump which I went for was around £16/17 (I can't recall exactly) but pretty reasonable and when your plate arrives trust me you will know it is good value. The size of the steaks are massive and you get a good selection of chips on the plate as well.
I would give some advice to order your steak slightly better cooked if you are going for the lion size steaks. They are so big that it is hard for the chefs to cook them through on their BBQ/grill. I ordered medium but it was probably more like medium rare.

Anyways I would recommend to anyone who like a good steak and beer. To top it off staff were great and prices were good for the size of steaks on offer.

I look forward to another "lion" sized steak in the near future!!

Visited May 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Big, cheap portions of joy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Visited with a friend last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. A simple enough idea - large and delicious portions of meat. My sirloin was quite gristly, but at the price paid I could hardly complain about value.

Service could have been better - didn't see the staff again after the food was deposited on our table until clean plates had been sitting there for over 10 minutes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere