“Decent hotel, but nothing out of this world” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo Edinburgh

You added Hotel Indigo Edinburgh to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   51 - 59 York Place, Edinburgh EH1 3JD, Scotland (Broughton & Calton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel, but nothing out of this world”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've stayed twice in the last couple of months. It's all very new, and therefore the rooms and bathrooms are still in good nick. I'd say they're nicely done - very modern. But they aren't anything special. Everything is perfectly good, it just doesn't quite wow. And the crap window overlooking an AC unit was never going to score very highly!

Breakfast is pretty good, but not a huge selection on the continental side. Good cooked effort though.

Well located, easy walk to Princess St or Leith Walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

It's maybe a blessing that the tram works have shut off York Place in Edinburgh as the hotel was very peaceful with little noise from passing traffic. The staff were very friendly and helpful despite a slight hiccup with the parking arrangements. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was good, although I would have preferred a longer break between starter and main. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated with a full complimentary minibar and good TV system.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. The room was very comfortable, the bed was excellent and facilities were very good. It wasn't the largest room we've been in for one that is listed as a superior room, but it was very good quality indeed. It had an excellent rain shower, but no bath which some people might not like. It was quiet at night - always most important - and the heat control worked well. Service was good and the staff were courteous and friendly.
There were a couple of things the hotel could improve on. First, our room wasn't available until mid afternoon. This was despite us asking for an early check in if possible as our flight was a morning flight. They assured us it wasn't a problem but we still had quite a wait. Secondly the breakfast could be improved. The cold meat selection looked a bit dried out and the porridge could have done with more cooking time.. But these are relatively minor, and easily fixed problems and we would love to go back there again. Excellent location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
South Shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in January for 2 nights and could not fault the hotel at all. Someone from the hotel contacted us the evening before we were due to arrive to confirm our stay, and when we arrived the check in process was friendly, courteous and helpful, with someone showing us to our room and confirming that we were satisfied. The only slight niggle was with the plumbing, as you could hear water from rooms above if someone used the bathroom, which sounded quite loud during the night; however this would not stop us from returning. Our reservation included an evening meal at the Thistle Restaurant and we were not disappointed; the food was delicious and was combined with very good service. The quality of the food was just as good at breakfast, with a good choice of continental and full breakfast. All of the hotel staff that we encountered were very friendly and the service provided was excellent, which really made our stay all the more enjoyable. We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be a great choice and exactly what we want in a hotel. Friendly staff, great location and lovely modern rooms with the most amazing showers. We started off in rm 304 but found the air conditioning units outside the window to be too loud even with the double glazing. We mentioned our concerns to reception and were immediately moved to rm 005 with no fuss whatsoever and we really appreciated it as it was a rare weekend away from young kids and we needed the sleep! All in all, a great modern hotel.

Room Tip: As above, we found air cond units outside rm 304 to be too loud
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Liz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your weekend away especially as your husband mentioned it was a rare occasion. We certainly are in a perfect location for a weekend away to see Edinburgh's sights, enjoy a show at the Playhouse theatre or for some retail therapy.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back soon again.

Stay curious,

Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I choose this hotel because of its proximity to the Royal College of Physicians. Usually my company would book one of the hotels on the Royal Mile, but they were all full. Am I glad that I picked this place instead.

The location is great, the only caveat being that the York Place is closed to vehicle traffic due to the ongoing tramway building works That said, my taxi driver was able to drop me off approximately 100 metres from the hotel.

I have stayed in the Hotel Indigo in Newcastle upon Tyne, and the décor is very similar. However, although it is part of the Holiday Inn chain, the atmosphere is completely different. As befits an Edinburgh hotel, they had a good selection of single malt whiskies available, and I enjoyed Lagavulin and Glengoyne. Very pleasant barman, who made what could have been a dire evening of being alone in a hotel much more enjoyable.

Major points to this hotel, as I asked the barman if I could find a box to send some work kit back rather than take it on the plane. He duly checked in the kitchen, and then placed the box in the luggage room for me for tomorrow.

So, nice atmosphere, pleasant, relaxing décor, friendly and helpful staff. This is what a hotel should be. I shall be making this my first choice for future meetings in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: It is worth joining the Holiday Inn Reward Points scheme. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite on arriva...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Jo,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the professional but friendly service of our team. I believe it was David that looked after you in the bar and I will certainly make sure to hand over your comments to him personally.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon for one of your future meetings.

Stay curious,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Being a local, I have visted Hotel Indigo with groups of friends on several different occasions to eat in both the Turquoise Thistle Restaurant and in the hotel bar. On each occasion both myself and friends have been highly impressed with the quality and presentation of the food, which has also been very reasonalby priced. The staff within the hotel have consistently been extremely friendly and welcoming and have provided a very good service at each visit. It is a lovely place to meet friends for lunch, dinner or drinks, and can provide an "oasis" to relax in away from the city-centre noise and bustle. A definate favourite, and although, as an Edinburgh resident, I have not yet stayed in Hotel Indigo, I am planning to treat myself to an overnight stay so that I can enjoy all that the hotel has to offer!!

Room Tip: Have only visited for food and drink so far, however am planning an overnight stay as a treat!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Morag,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your time with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh and the Turquoise Thistle restaurant.

It is always great to be able to welcome back our regulars and I hope you have enjoyed your lunch with us.

I do hope that we can welcome you for an overnight stay some time in the future and please do let me know before booking and I will make sure to arrange a complimentary upgrade for you.

Stay original,

Dominic

Been to Hotel Indigo Edinburgh? Share your experiences!