“Not a King-sized bed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not a King-sized bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We made a reservation at Hotel Indigo for a room they advertised as having a king-sized bed. When we saw the room only had a queen-sized bed, we asked to be moved to a room that was consistent with our reservation. One desk clerk defended the characterization of the bed as a king, saying it was a "European King" that just happened to correspond in size to an "American Queen-sized" bed. Another clerk was more constructive, and found us a room with a king-sized bed, although they charged us GBP 30 more per night to have a room with the bed size we reserved. The final room was large, nice, and clean, but if we had known the difficulty we would have getting a room with a king-sized bed, as well as its true price we would have chosen a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DominicKutschera, Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear HSchuttenberg

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay here at Hotel Indigo, Edinburgh.
I am disappointed to see that your expectations were not met on arrival to your bedroom. We have a variety of bed sizes in our 60 individually designed bedrooms, double, king and super-king. The upgrade that you took advantage of moved you up into one of our Executive Rooms with a super-king bed.
All our rooms come with complimentary mini bars with snack and soft drinks, walk in showers with rainfall shower heads, luxury toiletries, bath robes and other extras to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
I will convey your comments to the team and hope to see you return to our hotel again.

stay curious

Jo Wilby, Housekeeping Manager, on behalf of Dominic Kutschera.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight the weekend before Christmas and were not disappointed. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful as we were shown to our room and everything was explained and pointed out to us from how to work the TV to the shower. Despite being quite young, we were treated just like anyone else and made to feel very welcome. The room was stunning with a FREE minibar which we ensured we made use of. It was quiet and very comfortable and there were so many little touches that made the room extra special. The decor was gorgeous and everything was very clean and modern. The Playhouse was just around the corner which was handy for us and it wasn't far to Princes Street and Waverley station so it is in a perfect location if you want to explore Edinburgh. The staff helped us locate places we wanted to go on a map and as our train wasn't until late on Sunday, we could leave our luggage with them while we explored for the day. It was quite pricey but as a one-off we couldn't complain and to sum it up, we would definitely stay here again!

Dear Kathrynemma5

Thank you for taking time to write such a superb review about your stay here at Hotel Indigo, Edinburgh.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comfort everyone of our 60 individually designed bedrooms has to offer. We realise that if you are travelling it is important to have those little home comforts and our mini bars are certainly one of them.
We are ideally located to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer, being just around the corner from the UK's biggest theatre, the Edinburgh Playhouse and the designer shopping area Multrees Walk.
Taking advantage of our facility of luggage storage is a perfect way to gain an extra day of exploring the neighbourhood.
I will certainly pass on your comments to the team and will look forward to welcoming you back.

stay original

Jo Wilby, Housekeeping Manager on behalf of Dominic Kutschera
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel is very well placed for the many attrations and shopping experiences Edinburgh has to offer. It is a beautiful hotel and our room was superb and the bathroom was to die for with a drench shower and White Company toiletries. We paid £109 for the room which included a bottle of Prosecco, a welcome plate, complimentary mini bar (no alcohol) and afternoon tea and an upgrade to king size. What a deal! Courtesy of 5pm, join up, you know it makes sense. I can definitely recommend the afternoon tea, there were lots of lovely touches, no boring sandwiches here! We were so full that we did not need any dinner. We were going to go out and explore but the room was so ambient that we stayed in and read our Sunday papers while drinking the prosecco! I will definitely return here, that is a promise.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a king size
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DominicKutschera, Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Dorrod

Thank you very much for taking time to write such a lovely review about your stay and afternoon tea here at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.
I will certainly pass on your comments to our Head Chef, Dan Mellor and his team about the afternoon tea.
I am delighted to hear that you had a relaxing stay with us. All of our rooms have the complimentary mini bar, rainfall shower and luxurious toiletries.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the neighbourhood soon

stay curious

Jo Wilby,
Houskeeping Manager on behalf of Dominic Kutschera.
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked a weekend here for a 2 night stay for me and my Fiancé, and decided to go for the deluxe king size room (the second biggest room behind the suite).
The room itself was nicely decorated but probably not as big as I would have expected, or have stayed in in the past at similar spec hotels. Bed was comfy and the receptionist was nice on arrival and she helped with bags and gave us a tour of the room.
I rang up beforehand and asked for a bottle of house rosé in the room on arrival. The price was not given, and £17 for a bottle of wine at checkout was a big surprise!! The receptionist also said he would put us in a room available at the back of the hotel (302) - I wish he hadn't as we were right next to the lift!

Now I suffer from bad sleeping problems which can often leave me with little sleep - something which I have never experienced at a hotel before, as most are nice and quiet.
I must say I had two nights of VERY little if no sleep which made me quite unwell for the two days, with bad headaches and nausea - this was due to INTERIOR noise from the hotel and not street noise.
The noise from outside the room where the lift was and people walking past was atrocious, as well as whoever was staying in the room above walking about in shoes.
I think the hotel have squeezed every guest in the same area of the hotel, as when we explored other parts of the hotel it was extremely quiet. I think they have missed a trick here and not spread guests out enough.
Both me and my other half were kept awake with every shut of a door, walking about in the room above (Not the guest's fault as they didn't know), talking in the corridor outside our room, unwelcome intimate noises in the middle of the night, even the turning on of a light switch could be heard in the room next to us! It really was a joke and I have never experienced anything like it, especially in a hotel that appears nice and has great reviews.

Now I am not one to leave negative reviews unless I really feel I need to, and you won't see me SEARCHING for a scuff mark to take a picture of and leave a bad review based on there being a hair in the sink on arrival - trust me I have read some comical negative reviews in my time. I just feel that this is a serious issue that affected our stay in what should have otherwise been a nice stay, as Edinburgh is an AMAZING place!

Also on checkout we were told that we couldn't leave our car in the car park on Sunday afternoon which we had paid £24 for the weekend, and had to be out as soon as we checked out - it was a SUNDAY afternoon and there were about 5 cars in a car park able to fit 25+ cars, but still we had to drive around for ages looking for another spot elsewhere. I don't know how many guests had paid for the car park on a Sunday night but I doubt us being there for a few extra hours would have caused an issue. I originally wrote this review with a 3 star rating in mind but now I have written down the problems and read them back, I am unfortunately going to knock it down to a 2 star!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Ben H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the outside noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A truly wonderful hotel. Lots of lovely little extras and the room was so quiet and probably the best room i have ever stayed in within a hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and although we only had a snack in the bar,the food was great.

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend a "King Bed" room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Ann,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of our hotel. All our rooms come with complimentary welcome mini bar with snacks, soft drinks and also fresh milk for your morning coffee or tea. We also have excellent secondary glazing in all rooms which keeps the busy city center out when you want to relax from a day of sightseeing or shopping.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Stay curious,

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fantastic!! That about sums it up. A stones throw from the Playhouse and about 10 mins walk from Waverley station this is an ideal location for any trip to Edinburgh as it is so close to many of the city's attractions, restaurants and bars. The room was just gorgeous with luxurious furnishings and complimentary mini bar is a great extra in the room.

The restaurant is another gem in this hotel. The food was delicious and well priced with fantastic service from the staff. Breakfast in the restaurant was also excellent

From the moment we arrived til we checked out, we received nothing but fantastic service from all staff, who were extremely friendly and helpful. A real asset to the hotel.

The only problem? - we only stayed 1 night - would have happily stayed longer :)

Had a fantastic stay (although short) in Hotel Indigo and will defintely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear BobSam,

Thank you very much for writing such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with. We are ideally located to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer and you are right, being just around the corner from the UK's biggest theatre, the Edinburgh Playhouse, we are also the perfect hotel for a theatre break.

Our neighbourhood has lot's of hidden gems to explore and our Turquoise Thistle restaurant is certainly one of them. Dan Mellor our head chef is very passionate about only sourcing the freshest local produce and you can certainly taste this not only in the dishes served at dinner but also at breakfast and afternoon tea.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon and maybe for a few more days this time.

Stay original,

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Indigo as a birthday treat the weekend before Christmas.The reception staff were charming and our room was really fab! Decor was very contemporary - I just loved the chaise lounge - and the room and bathroom spotlass. The coffee machine and free mini bar ( soft drinks and snacks and fresh milk) was a real bonus! As the weather was so dreadful we cancelled our restaurant booking and stayed in and had a meal with room service - again couldn't be faulted.
I could most certainly recommend this hotel and infact we rated it better than the Glasshouse (which is just around the corner) when we stayed there last year.

Dear Alfie,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your birthday treat. We wish we could control the Scottish weather but it is great to hear that you have enjoyed our room service menu.

I will certainly pass your kind comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Stay curious,

Dominic

Been to Hotel Indigo Edinburgh? Share your experiences!