“looks good but no attention to detail” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
uk
“looks good but no attention to detail”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed hear for 4 nights while taking part in the Edinburgh Marathon. we had a standard room on a room only basis.
positives were:1. The hotel is clean and fresh looking through out. 2.staff were friendly and helpful. 3,location is very good
Negatives:1, air conditioning did not work in first room so we were moved after one night.2,no hair dryer in second room 3. the rooms have wooden floors and the beds are on wheels so if you so much as brush against the bed it shoots off from side to side!!.4, our bill had extra charges on it at check out! (these were removed when questioned)
in all there were just to many problems for us on this occasion for me to rate this hotel 4 or 5 stars. however it wouldn't take much to make it a lot better!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Kev1983,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am glad to hear that you experienced our team to be friendly and helpful during your stay. Please accept my apologies for the issues you have experienced during your stay. The air conditioning unit in your room had a fault which had to be rectified by a technician after you brought this to our attention. We have revised the set up of our beds and are in the process of installing bed legs to the beds to avoid them sliding on the hard wood floors.

I have discussed your comments with our managers and we have taken action to avoid your experience happening to other guests.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to our beautiful hotel to restore your faith in our service.

Stay curious,

Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Very nice hotel in a great location! All of the staff were very accommodating and helpful. The room was new and clean. We had a room that overlooked the street and it was still quiet.
This is a great place to stay when visiting Edinburgh.

Dear Kendra,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that all our team were accommodating and helpful. All our rooms have secondary glazing which really helps in keeping the noise of our bustling city center out of your room and let's you relax when you want to.

I will certainly pass on you comments to our team and hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Stay original,

Dunbar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was booked in for an overnight stay and arrived quite late. At first sight the room looked good but after unpacking etc went into the bathroom and found it to be filthy. Phoned and explained the issue and asked for a room change but instead got the impression that they didn't quite believe me and would come and check it out first. After inspection the member of staff agreed it was "horrendous" and agreed to change rooms for me. To be fair he did try to make amends by firstly offering to remove the cost of a drink I'd bought from the bar but when I explained I'd paid cash for it that was the end of that. At another point he asked if I'd ordered breakfast and when I said no suggested they would give me a free breakfast - didn't seem to consider I hadn't ordered it becasue I didn't want it. Next morning the receptionist has no record of my room move and asked if I had enjoyed my stay. When I explained what had happened the only question I got was whether my second room had been any better than the first one! Had this hotel recommended to me and expected a lot more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback on your stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay and that your comments weren't dealt with to your satisfaction. I can assure you our housekeeping team are working to a very high standard of cleanliness. Our head housekeeper inspects all rooms after they have been cleaned and it appears that the marks in your bathroom were from water flowing back into the sink.

I have discussed your comments with our managers and we have taken action to ensure that comments like yours are dealt with efficiently and to the full guests satisfaction.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail. Should you wish to do so please send me an email to dominic@hiedinburgh.co.uk and I will contact you at a time that suits you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We spent time here before and after our wedding. Everything was lovely and the staff could not do enough for us. They were genuinely interested and excited for us. What a refreshing change from some establishments where clearly the staff go through the motions in trying to engage with customers. We cannot fault anything and have no qualms in recommending this hotel..

Dear Suzrr,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh and please may I congratulate you on recent marriage.

We certainly do pride ourselves in providing outstanding boutique style accommodation that is unique but also comfortable and personable service. We want our guests to see Edinburgh through our eyes and are as you mentioned genuinely interested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

I will certainly share your comments with our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Location is okay, 10 minutes uphill to the shopping and sights of Edinburgh. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming and when we didn't like our first room - it was a small single, not a double - efficient in arranging an alternative.

The second room was of a reasonable size, offered a safe, iron & ironing board, TV, chairs, a desk and a comfortable bed. The aircon was a little noisy, cutting out and restarting at fairly frequent intervals. The bathroom was good, especially the shower - raindrop variety and simple to operate and, a nice touch - the main mirror didn't steam up. The shaving mirror rotated so people up to about 5' 9" could use it without contortions. Taller than that? Use the main mirror!

The bar area was small but comfortable and there were a wide range of refreshments on hand, all served with a smile.

One quirky item - the floor numbers were different in the lift than on the walls; for example, room 305 in on floor 2 but the lift has it on floor 3. Confusing & amusing.

Breakfast was not an completely enjoyable experience, the staff were disorganised and it took longer than it should to be served coffee/tea, toast - not the shade we'd ordered - and the food which was good. There was a limited buffet choice.

Checking out was a breeze, itemised bill prompt and accurate. Our luggage was stored for us at both ends of our stay.

To summarise, a nice hotel but there was nothing remarkable about it.

Room Tip: Be wary of 3rd floor - numbered 4** - rooms, they may be small.
Dear Burtonna,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your second room and that your request of a room change was dealt with efficiently by our front desk staff. All our rooms come with double, king or super king beds, complimentary mini bars with snack and soft drinks, walk in showers with rainfall shower heads, luxury toiletries, bath robes and other extras to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

I am disappointed to hear that you have not completely enjoyed you breakfast experience and will certainly be reviewing this with our Food and beverage manager. Our continental buffet offers a wide variety of cereals, cured meats, homemade pastries and bread, fresh fruit and fruit salad, yoghurts, hot and cold smoked fish and artisan cheeses from a Edinburgh cheese monger.

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh is set behind the Georgian facade of five original residential properties and as such every room has it's own character and size and there certainly is a mix of bedroom layouts and sizes on all our floors.

I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood in the near future.

Stay original,

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had booked this hotel before it had actually opened as a place to stay when we went to see a comedian at the Edinburgh playhouse. The location was spot on for us, however if you were planning to visit the castle or grass market then you will have a 10-15 minute walk.
The room was very nicely decorated and a good size. It had some nice tech to make a stay pleasurable, including HDMI, phono inputs etc. for the entertainment system so you can check out your stills or videos staright away.
The staff were exceptionaly helpful and very polite, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff we encountered.
We will defiantely consider using this hotel again if we stay over in EDINBURGH.

Dear Adrian,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such kind words about your stay at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that all our team was helpful and polite. We all pride ourselves in delivering personable service that leaves nothing to wish for. We are in a perfect location for a visit to Edinburgh's Playhouse theatre to see one of the numerous shows throughout the year. We are also just down the road from the Stand comedy club that features some great comedians 7 days a week.

I hope we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon and in the meantime I can recommend our sister hotel Indigo Glasgow and their Limelight Bar and Grill for a visit.

Stay curious,

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The hotel is in a prime location in the city, rooms are comfortable and well equipped and the staff are exceptionally friendly.

All in all a great experience, and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: There is only one twin room, it is very large and comfortable so book early
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Semour,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a great review about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Hotel Indigo Edinburgh certainly is in a prime location for both exploring the sites of our beautiful neighbourhood and working with our proximity to the offices on St Andrews square. We are only a 5 minute walk from Waverley station and you can take a stroll up to the castle in less than 20 minutes or browse through the designer shops on Multrees walk and George street which are just around the corner.

Thank you very much for your room tip. You are right we only have 1 twin room in the hotel which is one of our largest executive rooms with two king size beds and plenty of space for 4 people. It does get booked well in advance but is always worth checking.

I will share your comments with our team and hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Dominic

Been to Hotel Indigo Edinburgh? Share your experiences!