“Very Average.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   14 - 15 Minto St., Edinburgh EH9 1RQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #278 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Very Average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for a long weekend and unfortunately it was rather forgettable!
When we checked in we were told straight away "don't be late for breakfast!", which wasn't the most welcoming greeting.
The hotel itself was very clean but desperately in need of updating with a lick of paint. The room was the same, all the fixtures and fittings we very old and outdated. The bed was shockingly uncomfortable so desperately needs replacing! However the en-suite shower room seemed to have been recently renovated to an excellent standard.
The continental breakfast was sadly not up to scratch. I would normally expect a selection of cheeses, meats and fruit as well as the usual cerals. Unfortunately the only things on offer were cerals, croissants and scones.
The staff that I saw were mostly polite and friendly (except the initial greeting!).
So overall it's not a bad hotel but it has so much unrealised potential that it is a shame and until things improve I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our B&B experience here and would stay here again. The only thing that would give me pause was our experience with a lady who was responsible for serving breakfast. She was rather rude I thought and our first breakfast was horrible. It did greatly improve the following day. The B&B rooms were good and clean. If not for this one staff person who had a less than stellar attitude (perhaps she simply having a bad day) I would rate 5 stars. The other staff people were very nice, good attitude.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thornton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I booked this hotel/bed and breakfast through the travel center right outside of the train station in Edinburgh. I typically do not do this, but our visit to Edinburgh was unexpected. I usually like to research on TA before we go and see all the photos, but didn't have this as an option. With that said the overall experience was not bad at all. Yes, per the reviews, the place is a bit on the tired side, but the workers appear to want to please. The breakfast according to the reviews I read after said only continental breakfast, but I remember seeing some ordering a full English/Scottish menu. The breakfast we ate was a continental kind one that you should expect for a small hotel. Keep in mind some sites call this a B&B, but that is not appropriate for this place as a B&B for me con jours up a quaint, warm, welcoming, often family run accommodation. Although not that I have to report that the rooms were modern, the breakfast area had a nice sun room to eat in and the room had cable TV and the location was a straight 20 minute walk to everything. The area at first sight looked run down and not too safe, but it was nothing of the sort after I became adjusted to the environment and culture surrounding the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salerno, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've been here for 5 nights. Edimburgh is wonderful and this b&b is not so bad.
Our room was big and comfortable, the bed is large and the area around is peaceful, not in the city centre but quite near (about 15 minutes by walking).
The staff is very friendly and every evening we found our room perfectly cleaned!
The breakfast is quite good and there's the possibility to choose (yogurt, cereals, milk, coffee, tea, orange and apple juices, croissants, cake, muffins, jam, butter)
We have booked here a tour to visit lochness and the highlands (departure just in front of the hotel) and it's been amazing!!!
Our holiday has been perfect!
If you just want a simple and comfortable room to visit edimburgh I suggest this b&b!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

'Don't be late for breakfast' sounds like the title of an Edinburgh fringe comedy but sadly it applied to this b and b. First impressions of accommodation are crucial and this failed abysmally. Having just completed a 5 hour train journey to be told there was a 2% charge on any card payment and that if you wanted a cooked breakfast it had to be ordered the night before and would cost a fiver was not the way to be met. No warm greeting. No real welcome. Breakfast re-defined continental. When I have had continental brecky before I have had a selection of cheeses, ham, hard boiled eggs and breads. Not here. It struggled to cope with the numbers with breakfast being a frantic pandamonium. Toast was put out in limited portions and jam etc seemed on a ration rather than being put out for the quests to decide how much they wanted. The title of this work reflects the speed with which breakfast came to a strict halt and a quest was refused grapefruit because he had entered the room as it was being cleared away.

Moving on. The room was o.k but had no drawers for clothing. I thought it was dark and in need of an uplift. There was little or no literature in our room and I could not visibly see in proximity to our room H and S notices. The saddest thing is that if this B and B is a microcosm of accommodation provided across Edinburgh then the Tourist Board needs to take action quickly. I find it difficult to see how it merited 3 stars??? On the plus side it is well located and the two young ladies worked hard. I felt positively sorry for them. For £560.00 for 4 nights the standard was not good enough. I have no idea what the foreign visitors thought but it was NOT a good advert for Edinburgh. What saved the holiday for us was the quite splendid organisation of the Festival. Second to none!

Room Tip: I would not recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone.
Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Two lovely buildings-with parking- within walking distance of centre: it should have been ideal but was badly let down by what looked like penny-pinching everywhere. The sheets on our bed were un-ironed, towels were small and cheap, there was no handle on the inside of the bathroom door- it looked as if a scrap door from somewhere else had been fitted. We did not realise when booking that breakfast was continental and would not have minded so much except that again everything was so cheap- the cheapest sort of yoghurts from Asda, cold croissants like rubber , scones like rock cakes and mis-matched cutlery. The dining room was far too small & crowded. We noticed that even if we had paid for a cooked breakfast- this did not include bacon! Considering the very over-inflated cost of our stay during the Festival we expected a lot better. In fact I would have expected more if we had only paid half of what it cost us to stay for 4 days. To add insult to injury there was a 2% surcharge for paying by debit card , not just credit card- even the cashier in the bank said she had not heard of anyone doing that.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel at all
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

A guest house approx 20 min walk from city centre which although clean & comfortable could be so much better if the owner spent a bit of money on small improvements to the bedrooms and offered a fresh continental breakfast with croissants bought the day before rather than the week before. Charming character to the place but I can understand the widely differing reviews since the service can vary from indifference to keen to assist but dependent on which Eastern European charm you are lucky / unlucky enough to experience.

Room Tip: Hope for your best expectation and demand nothing less than what you have paid to reflect this wish...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Thrums Edinburgh? Share your experiences!