“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
UK
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a collective review as we have now been twice but haven't had the time to write a review the first time round.

On the first time we ate here we found it on route to a tour and had a superb meal. We hadn't booked but we were early diners and really couldn't fault the food or the service. My husband had the smoked haddock risotto which is huge and I had the fish & chips which is a little quirky that what you would usually expect to be served but by god it was good. I really couldn't fault the staff. The service was excellent and they were friendly and smiley.

On our second visit we decided to drop in simply because we had had such a lovely meal the last time. We were about an hour away from closing on a Sunday evening and again we hadn't booked and were shown to a table immediately. We ordered starters this time which were just as good as the mains and once again had a fantastic meal with fab service.

I love this place and I'm looking forward to going to back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Cupar
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Meeting up with a friend who lives in Edinburgh and knows where to go, she suggested Porto & Fi on the Mound. What a great place to eat and chat! The staff were so attentive, especially the lovely French girl, Sarah. Unlike a previous contributor we had quick service and the food was just delicious. The restaurant / cafe has a lovely ambience and the restrooms proved to be excellent, often a very good indicator of a well-run business giving attention to detail. We shall be back, hopefully soon!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good food, very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I popped in here for breakfast and ordered the same dish, eggs benedict with smoked salmon on a muffin. Not too taxing to make when the cafe was very quiet. 30 to 40 minutes later we were still waiting, however I spied the dishes coming out from the kitchen......only to be given to a table of 4 tourists!! I called the waitress over who apologised, there had been a mix up with orders and they would make ours now. The tourists had come in at least 15 minutes after us! I'd say it took 50 minutes for these two simple dishes to reach us. Very tasty when they did, but I dread to think how they cope on a busy service if several people order the same dish....obviously not too bothered about repeat custom and just banking on tourists as we were charged full price for the hours wait!

Visited June 2013
Edinburgh
“Did not give us the table we reserved”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I rang during the week to make a dinner reservation for my partner's birthday on Saturday 22nd. The conversation went like this:
"Do you have a cosy table, say in the window or in a corner? It's a special occasion."
"Oh, you can pretty much have your pick of the tables at the moment."
"Well, a nice one, please! Do you have a recommendation?"
"I'll give you the one in the window with the sofa; that's the one most people choose."
"Lovely, thank you." And I gave my name, said I'd see them on Saturday.

So on Saturday we arrived five minutes early and both window tables were occupied. We were shown to a small, dark, dingy table towards the back of the restaurant and right up against a wall. It seemed the person I'd spoken to had forgotten to write down which table they'd reserved for us. The man seating us apologised, which was appreciated, but naturally he couldn't move the occupants of either of the two window tables.

And so we left and had dinner somewhere else. It really was bitterly disappointing ,as I'd wanted to surprise my partner with dinner somewhere new that's getting good reviews. The food may well be good - we didn't get a chance to try it - but they definitely get one star for service and ambience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We hadn't booked, but visited this for breakfast on Saturday as we were in the area and were hungry! Very nice interior environment (an old bank, but you can't really tell until you go downstairs - there is an old gated safe down there that now acts as a small retain outlet). Fast and friendly service and a good selection for breakfast and other parts of the day. We had porridge with fruit and poached egg and salmon with hollandaise sauce between the two of us, very tasty. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere