“Exceeded our expectations Best Tour Guide Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercat Tours

Mercat Tours
28 Blair Street, Edinburgh EH1 1QR, Scotland (Cowgate)
+44 131 225 5445

Type: Tours
Activities: Group tours/city tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Mercat Tours: the original, largest, and only 5star walking tour company in Scotland since 1985. We promise to engage, enthral and entertain visitors with award-winning storytelling. Our expert guides offer unique, memorable experiences - sharing a warm welcome and our remarkable history. Join us to visit: - Exclusive Blair Street Underground Vaults - Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, New Town - Tours daytime and evening - Historical and ghostly Please get in touch and we'll help you choose the right tour for you.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Exceeded our expectations Best Tour Guide Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My fiance found this tour company online last fall, because he knew I was dying to tour the vaults. We chose the historical tour as opposed to the ghost tour (next time we will do the ghost one). We actually went to Edinburgh in January of 2011 but the date was not available for me to select on here.
They have you meet at a landmark on the Royal Mile, and the tour guide takes you from there. I really wished I had remembered his name, our tour guide was the best. Aside from being informative, and full of knowledge, his story telling is what made the tour stand out. To this day, my fiance and I still talk about the tour or comments the guide made. He also went around and introduced himself to each of us asking us where we were from. There's just a personal touch here that you don't find as often as you'd like. When we go back to Edinburgh, we are booking at least one or two tours with this company including the haunted one!
If you are doing the tour of the vaults, please be prepared to walk, wear sturdy shoes or you'll probably go flying. It's an OLD city! Once you are in the vaults, it's dark and closed off so if you are claustrophobic, be warned. (I did not think it was that bad) also make sure you dress appropriately so you don't freeze half to death if you are there in the winter like we were.

Visited February 2011
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! All our guides take great pride in welcoming everyone to Edinburgh and we're glad you enjoyed Mercat's personal touch. Please keep in touch on facebook and twitter and let us know when you're back visiting - we'll make sure you get your returner's discount!

Tarragona, Spain
“Interesting stories at night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I liked Dr. alexander tour on January, 7th. It was a full moon night and we enjoyed listening to stories and tales in a very amusing and believable way

Visited January 2012
“Great fun for all the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Did the Ghosts and Ghouls tour with kids (12/10). Had paid in advance but nearly didn't bother because we missed our time slot because the restaurant we were in was running late. Luckily we turned up and they managed to take us on the 8pm slot instead. Glad we did because it was one of the highlights of our trip to Edinburgh. The guide (name escapes me) was fantastic, she really knew her history and she really made the tour interesting and fun. Wish I had time to do more Mercat tours. Also we stayed on for the drink and the ghostie story telling, well worth it.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Historic Vaults Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

A group of friends and I went for a tour of the vaults in Edinburgh. This was one of the best tours of a historical sight I have ever been on. We went to the tourist information and found out about the tours and the helpful staff even phoned and booked the tour for us. There are two types of tours available, the one we opted for was the day time historic vaults tour but in the evening there is ghost tours which I don't know anything about. The day time tour was fantastic, our guide Roger was very entertaining mixing fact with a little bit of humour as well and spent the perfect amount of time explaining each vault as well as historical facts about Edinburgh which helped us imagine what it was like in those times. I would fully recommend this to anyone and will definitely visit again. The Vaults are a must see and the historic vaults tour covers all bases with the origins of the bridge and businesses that ran out of them to the gruesome stories of the criminal activity that ran through the tight spaces including the body snatchers.

Visited January 2012
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed your tour with Roger and have taken the time to leave feedback. We're always keen to learn what we need to work on and improve - it's also lovely to hear when we are getting it right too! Thanks again and keep in touch on facebook and twitter - haste ye back!
Newport, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Superb spooky storytelling by Nicola”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Our ghosts and ghouls tour was thoroughly enjoyable. It was humorous and the stories were told superbly by our guide Nicola. We did the extended tour which I definitely recommend for an extra few pounds as Nicola's stories in a cosy room with drinks were great.
Having taken two tours while in Edinburgh, we found the 'City of The Dead' Grave yard tour, considerably more frightening but we did enjoy the two equally.
I recommend this tour as a great start to understanding the history of the city and a real laugh.
If I could make a suggestion, I would say it started a bit slowly and the initial stages dragged on a bit, but it got progressively more entertaining and interesting.

Visited December 2011