“A unique tourist experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brass Rubbing Centre

Brass Rubbing Centre
Chalmers Close | (opposite Museum of Childhood on Royal Mile), Edinburgh EH1 1SS, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)
0131 556 4364
Improve this listing
Ranked #133 of 156 Attractions in Edinburgh
Type: Educational Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Great family activity where you can make your own personal souvenir to take home from the UK. Offers a unique tourist experience while learning history.
Edmonton
“A unique tourist experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

The Brass Rubbing Centre was a great way to learn a little history, do something constructive and have a special souvenier of our trip. My husband and I did a smal rubbing, which was quite inexpensive. It took us about 30 minutes to complete the project. The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful. It was a nice change from looking at museums and taking pictures of sites. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

Chicago area
“What fun! Make your own personalized souvinir”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

This was a great way to get a personalized souvenir of a trip to the UK - I guarantee no one else has the same one! This is a great way to spend an hour or two, or a good way to create with your child for as long as they can focus. Making your own rubbing satisfies a basic creative urge, and is pretty inexpensive. Buying one made by an expert costs somewhat more. (Now going home and framing the thing! That's another story pricewise!)

My husband and I had done a lot of walking while sightseeing, so my feet hurt. Here, I had a chance to sit and excercise my arm instead. The morning of the day we chose to do this was perfect for this activity - it was raining - and this was indoors. I ended up making three rubbings, and could have stayed to do more if time allowed.

There are many choices and sizes of replica brasses - from Pictish stone carvings, to medieval lords or ladies or religious or mythical scenes, to brass renderings of the illuminations from the Book of Kells, along with animals (real and mythological) that would appeal to younger children. You get choices of paper and colors of the special crayons. The woman running the center was very encouraging and helpful in showing how to create a rubbing.

My only complaint were the hours. If you have the time planned for this, you are ok. Spur of the moment, not necessarily. We wandered in on a Saturday afternoon in early August (lots of tourists in the area), and I immediately knew I wanted to do this, but it was too late to start a rubbing (probably around 4:30). There were no Sunday hours, so we had wait until Monday! Since there was only one person minding the center at a time, we were forced to take a break for lunch. Not a problem for me, as my arm could use the rest and I returned after lunch, but a problem for those who wandered in right before lunch.

All in all, this ranked as one of the best highlights of our trip.

dorice
“Excellent Centre for young and old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

This is an excellent Centre for all ages. I have now taken my grand children on numerous occasions. Their ages ranging from 4 to 16.
The assistant is extremely helpful, and friendly. Prices excellent starting at £1 upwards depending on size of Brass Rubbing.
Well done to Edinburgh Council, in funding such an excellent venue for all ages, and Nationalities..

North Carolina
“Fun morning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

As the rain poured, my teenage son and I were cozy in the Brass Rubbing Center. Excellently run by a friendly helpful woman who said she had been with the center for many years. The choices of rubbing possibilities were quite varied - something suitable for children all the way to the most experienced. We had a wonderful morning.

Cambridge, UK
13 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

As with several things in Edinburgh this is hidden away, right off the Royal Mile in an alleyway opposite the Museum of Childhood.

Theres a nice large selection of brasses (or rather reproductions of brasses) from the very small to the 6ft long ones. All at very reasonable prices, from £4 for the smallest to I think about £18+ for the bigger ones.
A brass rubbing will take you anywhere from half an hour to well over an hour, so you're not really going to be able to pop in and out. But it's a lovely place to take a break, chill out and do something you might have never done, or in my case not done since I was a child.

Very happy to help with any queries or problems and they'll show you how to do it. There is a lot of space with 5/6 tables so you could even go in as a group.

Most reccommended :)