“excellent boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
cheshire
“excellent boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

stayed here on a business trip and had a great stay, reception staff were excellent, very nice bloody mary in the bar, room was very comfortable and room service food was quality, the restaurant looks great and i will be trying this next time, really liked the location right in the centre of edinburgh

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

This was mine and my partners 3rd stay at the rutland and we will be back again. I had booked our nights stay with the 'Come dine with us' package which included our nights stay (room 6 - the nicest room ever!), breakfast the following morning and a three course meal with wine. This was the first time my partner and i had eaten in the restaurant and as we were on this package i thought we would be restricted to a set menu and wine list which would have been fair enough but when i told the waitress we were on the package she told us we could pick anything from the full menu and extensive wine list. The meal was beautiful, one of the best ive had, we evenhad dessert wines included in out package. The cost of the package was £210 for one of the suites but considering our included meal alone cost over £120 and we were to have the equally fab breakfat in the morning i feel it is well worth it! Also in the bar my favourite cocktail was no longer on the updated menu and the rutland is the only place i know who does it, but the bar man still made it for me and told me the recipe for the future. Another Briliant stay!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Spent a couple days in Scotland on a vacation in Europe spent 3 nights in Eidnburgh at the Rutland and loved my stay. I ate most of my lunches and 2 dinners at the restaurant above the bar in the Rutland and it zas devine and very affordable I highly recomend it to anyone who needs a good place that is not too expensive and zith friendly staff

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

The rooms here are outlandish, with design elements I would not touch with a 10-foot pole, but at the same time very functional and comfortable. The amenities are very good. The front desk staff was uneven and often seemed overburdened. And although they were welcoming, they also did a lot of up sell, which I did resent a little. But overall, I can't complain. I got a great sale rate from Tablet Hotels that was a fraction of what other reviewers refer to having paid. My room was quiet (when the state-of-the-art sound system wasn't operating,) was large and had a great view. And the hotel is just around the corner from the super-convenient airport bus and within walking distance of both the Haymarket and main train stations and just about anything else in town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Booked through Mr and Mrs Smith £200 for room only, standard room.We were upgraded on arrival always a nice touch, thank you. The hotel is basically a bar with rooms situated on a corner of a cross roads at the end of Princess street, immediately opposite House of Fraser store. The situation is very noisey but that is definitely not transmitted into the hotel, only heard one raised voice outside once during the night and inside was almost silent.Above the bar is a restaurant and above that are the rooms. The decoration is unique as you will see on the web site, it is not to my taste but it is well done and obviously cost a lot of money, the curtains for example must weigh 50kg each.However my wife and our female freind who is a trained designer loved it. Hotel in general very clean and well maintained. Bed to die for, linens wonderful. We ate in the bar, breakfast and lunch food was very good service pleasant. We also used the bar late at night and found a sophisticated atmosphere, none threatening and comfortable. The 'GHD' thing is symbolic of the extras. However there needs to be some attention paid to the entrance it is a small door in a wall that is in poor condition and dust bins outside it does the hotel no justice at all and I had that initial heart in my mouth moment when I thought what have I booked here especially when it is compared to the grand entrance of the hotel at the side of it. The big issue we had with the hotel was room 7 it appears to be either over the kitchens or on the route from a ventilator and the room was permanantly smelling strongly of food and cooking very off putting! note to management this undermines everything you are trying to do and is extremely 'low rent'. Overall a very nice boutique hotel that is not cheap but one can see where the money is going. Staff polite and professional I would consider this my pied a terre in Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Hi I travelled with BMIbaby with my girlfriend for her 30th to Edinburgh on the 26th-28th April 2010 we stayed at the Rutland hotel booked through Mr and Mrs. We opted to purchase two Edinburgh 2 day passes at the airport which included return tickets to and from the city and entrance to over 30 attractions. As it happens the bus dropped us literally across the road from the hotel which was great. Stand alone return tickets were just £6 each.
As we entered the hotel it was to a warm welcome and tasteful modern decor. Our room no:2 was very clean and we had welcome fruit muffins on our bed on arrival. We prebooked a standard double I was apprehensive the room would be too small but I can assure you for the time you are in the rooms they are more than adequate. We heard no noise from other guests as rooms are sound proofed. With this in mind they are equipped with ipod dock (leads are supplied) so if you wish you can take your romantic collection with you and set the mood. Surround sound in both bedroom and bathroom, lcd tv,tea/coffee facilities and a very tempting minibar. The bathroom was delightful. We had a jacuzzi in bath with monsoon shower and bubbles were provided. The cleansliness of both rooms was to a very high standard. Bed I thought was a little too hard but did the job and was not too uncomfortable. No breakfast in room rate but who cares so much choice for good food especially on George st. We ate a marvellous evening meal at Tigerlilly on recommendation which was reasonably priced at around £25 per head. There really was not too much to grumble about I'd researched for the perfect romantic getaway by reading countless reviews on tripadvisor. The Rutland Hotel exceeded my expectations and we would definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

During a business trip to England my flight home was cancelled so I took a sidetrip to Edinburgh and booked a great deal at The Rutland Hotel through Splendia Luxury Hotels having no idea what to expect. It's in a great location, walking distance to both the attractions in Old Town and New Town. I have a great view of the castle and the water from my window. Room is huge with lots of modern amenities and it's very quiet due to the thick walls and double paned windows. Free wi-fi, surround sound even in the modern bathroom. The staff is friendly and helpful. Beds are comfortable with high quality down pillows and duvet. Room takes a while to warm up though. Layout of the hotel is unique making it feel as if you are at a luxury bed and breakfast with all of the hotel services. Staff in the restaurant went out of their way to help me and cook whatever I wanted. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Rutland Hotel? Share your experiences!