“I'd give this place the thumbs up, if I had any.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Rutland Hotel to your Saves list
The Rutland Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 3 Rutland Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AE, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #11 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
London
“I'd give this place the thumbs up, if I had any.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This review is submitted by George the tortoise age 7yrs.
Last weekend my daddy took me to Edinburgh on my way to meet my new mummy who was going to look after me following my 'accident'. I say 'accident' but we all know what really happened, Mildred viciously and deliberately bit me in an unprovoked(ish) attack. Anyway Daddy says that we now have to live separately so that I can recover in peace (and plot my revenge on Mildred).

We stayed at the Rutland where we received a very excited welcome from the lovely people at reception. The nice young lady at reception also printed an email for me which was very kind and she also offered me a free copy of The Scotsman which would have come in very handy if I'd had an accident in the room (which I didn't by the way).

We were allocated room number 1 which was huge and I don't think that I even managed to walk all the way round it. I had to stop and have a nap behind the bin at one point before moving on to the bathroom which again was massive and fortunately had a wet room area so no steps or baths for me to navigate. The room was so big I could have happily lived there for the rest of my life, but they would need to stock the minibar area with dandelions and rocket salad leaves otherwise I would end up as fat as daddy.

The room was beautifully furnished and the wall mounted flat screen TV was bigger that my entire tortoise house back home. Some lovely home made muffins were placed on the bed upon our arrival but then they seemed to vanish. I think that Daddy ate them whilst i was trying to explore under the bed. Daddy also ate some of the pretzels from the minibar area so they can't have been that expensive otherwise he wouldn't have eaten them. The whole hotel was clean and well maintained and all the staff were friendly and excited to see me.

I would love to stay here again some time, maybe on my way back to London one day. Did you get that Mildred? and PS I've been working out!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Arbroath, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay at The Rutland (a competition win with my work - how lucky was I?!?). From stepping foot through the door to Reception to checking out on the Sunday morning, nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. Lovely Isobel on Reception, to the staff at the Kyloe Restaurant (amazing food) and a lovely breakfast in the Huxley Bar the following morning, everything was just perfect. Whilst dining in the Kyloe Restaurant however, we did experience a power cut (due to the tram works outside) so we didn't manage to have our sweet (probably a good thing given the amount of food we had already consumed!) but this was dealt with very efficiently with the bill discounted as a token gesture and by no means could the Hotel/Restaurant be faulted for this. A truly wonderful hotel in a wonderful location, just perfect for shopping and the many wonderful bars of Edinburgh. Hoping to return again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Rutland in the last week of February and, as a hotel, we cannot fault it. The staff were friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble (including printing our boarding passes for us, looking after our bags after check-out etc etc.). We received a complimentary upgrade on our room (room 5), which was comfortable, stylish and with all the amenities required (if I was going to be very picky, the only thing it lacked was somewhere to put the tea and coffee making tray). The location was brilliant - central, but not too noisy. With the tram work going on, we did have workmen outside the building from 8am every morning, but this did not pose us a problem. I would thoroughly recommend the Rutland Hotel, and hope we have the opportunity to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Colchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked this hotel as a birthday treat and also to watch Wales v Scotland at Murrayfield. Turned up a bit early and this wasn't a problem as our room was ready. Extremely helpful and charming receptionist. Our room (11) was on the top floor with views of the castle. It was large and comfortable with a huge bed. We could walk to the stadium although with all the barriers up due to the work on the tram lines we ended up walking more than normal. Great atmosphere in Edinburgh with no trouble between the fans, In fact quite the opposite even later in the evening with the bar at the hotel being a favourite spot post the match. It was a freezing weekend and when we got back we felt the room was cold especially the bathroom. We asked for some extra heating and this was brought up to our room immediately. My only other complaint was that there wasn't a bedside light on my side which is very strange. Again I asked for one and it was supplied. We had dinner at the hotel which was very good and breakfast was in the bar and that was also excellent. A good stay overall especially as Wales won!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for two nights, a group of nine ladies. We hired both the apartment and rooms in the hotel, of all which were of a very high standard. The service we received upon arrival until departure was excellent and nothing asked for was any trouble. Great location, within walking distance of all the main streets in Edinburgh. When returning to Edinburgh, will be staying at the Rutland again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We two friends, in our 70s, had an excellent three night stay. Chosen through TripAdvisor, we found everything as reported by others; perfect location, very friendly, helpful and cheerful staff throughout; fine, well fitted bedrooms, good to grand food at the attached Kyloe restaurant. Though right at the end of Princes Street and right by the work going on to lay the new tram tracks, our rooms were remarkably quiet, warm and hassle-free with good wifi coverage. We found it easy to walk to the Castle and the new National Museum and to get buses to Leith harbour to visit the R Y Britannia. A nice touch: I left a library book behind, was promptly emailed and the book posted on - with a slip put in to mark the place where I'd left it open! We would certainly recommend - not the cheapest - but we thought good solid value, a nice experience to remember.

Stayed March 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Rutland is in a central location, 10 minutes from the railway station and our party of 9 stayed for one night on business. We can highly recommend the Rutland - the service is excellent, from the friendly, efficient receptionist to the bar staff and waiters, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was great, a good menu, lovely food, with something for everyone. The bar is very lively but we didn't find it too noisy. The bedrooms are modern, with very comfortable beds. We will be returning!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Rutland Hotel? Share your experiences!