“Wonderful Honeymoon Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Rutland Hotel to your Saves list
The Rutland Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 3 Rutland Street, Edinburgh EH1 2AE, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #9 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Harbor Springs, Michigan
“Wonderful Honeymoon Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel was beyond excellent. I stayed there for part of my honeymoon and it was so perfect. The staff was soo friendly and helpful. We checked in early and they took care of our luggage and even had a bottle of Champagne in our room.
The room was lovely, clean and the decor was really neat and hip.
The location is great, you can walk to all the sites and great restaraunts near by including the one at the hotel! The bar has superb drinks ;)
Stay at this hotel if you want great service, location and a beautiful room!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is in a great position - very handy for the main shopping area and an easy walk from the train station.
The staff at reception were absolutely lovely - I couldn't praise them enough and if it wasn't for them the overall rating of this review would be lower,
Reception is small but very nice. The lift is absolutely tiny - you wouldn't get more than 2 people and some luggage in at any one time, so when other guests were using the lift - we had to use the stairs!
When we first walked into our room I was really impressed - it was very spacious and well decorated it seemed it was going to be great, however the downsides soon became clear. The windows are either single glazed or poor double glazing and as it was around Christmas time and the hotel is close to bars etc, there was quite a lot of noise late into the night. I could cope with that, but what did put me off was the bathroom. We had managed to get the last room available and I was aware it was fitted out for disabled access - I didn't imagine that would be a problem and didn't mind that there were supports and alarm pull cords around the toilet and shower BUT there was only one tiny little basin to get washed in, no bath and worse of all the bathroom had a real damp smell - I ended up spraying perfume onto the towels and putting them over the heated towel rail so the smell spread as the hot air rose!
Also the bar is in need of a bit of a refurbishment too.
But the meal in the restaurant was very nice and the portions were very generous and I guess it can't have been too awful as I would consider going back - but would try another room!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked out the whole hotel of 12 rooms to accommodate ourselves and our families during our wedding. The hotel is clean, spacious, friendly staff, tasty food and a great location in the city centre. All the rooms are decorated beautifully with lovely views of the castle and city centre. We would recommend to all, the only problem is there is no car park.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the largest (the bridal suite), the higher the room number the higher floor your on which...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We got really lucky and had the 2 bedroom apartment down the street from the hotel (run by the hotel). It was a very tastefully done, modernized place, with full kitchen, washer, dishwasher, fridge and freezer. We were a nice walking distance from the Castle, and central to the excellent shopping district fronting the valley below the Castle. The front office team made sure were taken care of and made us feel like royalty. It is unusual, and wonderful to see such a wonderful old apartment converted to a lovely contemporary space (see pics below). This would be a great basecamp for staying in Edinburgh for an extended amount of time. Even with the increased cost you could easily save 100 sterling a day in food costs by making at least some of your meals in-house. The only negative was the construction around the streets of the hotel, which made it hard to get to. A truly wonderful experience, with great service, great decorating, and a great location!

Room Tip: If you are staying for more then 2 days, try and get the apartment..SOOO WORTH IT.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
York, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I treated ourselves to a special weekend away in Edinburgh and chose The Rutland Hotel.

We can quite honestly say it was one of the best experiences we've had in hotels. As well as it being perfectly decorated and clean, it was the perfect location.. only a 10 minute walk down Princess Street from the Station and within walking distance to everything.

The room was peaceful enough and to be honest anyone that complains about noise should have researched the location better before their stay! If you decide to stay in the centre of city's and towns then noise cannot be helped!

Being in the hotel industry myself I always look out for excellent guest service and here I found it, I believe friendly staff make every trip much more enjoyable and memorable. The staff at this hotel are fantastic and will do anything they can for you to ensure your stay is perfect. My boyfriend had ordered flowers to be sent to the hotel for our arrival and they helped him arrange this and made sure my surprise was waiting for me.

Our room was perfect with a great view of the castle and down princess street. The surround sound and the Jacuzzi bath were certainly a luxurious bonus for us!

We would recommend this hotel to everyone as we had such a perfect stay. Thank you :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Located close to Edinburgh's top restaurants, cafes, shopping strip and tourist attractions, The Rutland is a stylish boutique hotel with attentive staff of the kind I've usually only found in country B&Bs.

The small touches (like complimentary muffins and cocktails, prosecco waiting on arrival and staff with a genuine interest in making your stay a memorable one) made this hotel shine.

A minor plumbing issue meant we had to spend a night in an upgraded room before we could be moved to our standard one. This was handled efficiently and with warm Scottish smiles.

We stayed over New Year and had no problem with street noise, despite revellers parting on until the wee hours on the street below.

Our rate included breakfast in the adjoining bar.

I would happily recommend The Rutland to friends visiting the city.

• Stayed December 2012
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Having found the perfect hotel stay in when in Glasgow, I so wanted to love this hotel and thought this might be it in Edinburgh...it wasn't.
I was disappointed and the main reason was...peace and quiet is a premium for me, wherever I go, I need the room to be quiet. With that in mind I informed the staff beforehand and they told me they would upgrade me from a handicapped access suite (which I don't recall it saying it was on the hotel website) which I had booked, to a junior suite near the top of the hotel, Room 12.
Twas a pretty enough room, but a small table and chairs does not a suite make, unless junior suite means a room with a little table in it. So do not be fooled, keep your money if you are staying here and book a normal room.
Anyway...back to the peace a quiet. This Room 12 first of all looked to be a room with no windows but we found a small window in an old frame in the corner which is you squeezed past the table and positioned yourself awkwardly, you could see the castle through and it was this damned window that was the problem. Being in an old frame, it was not air tight and was effectively open all night. I could hear everything going on in the streets below. Imagine asking for a quiet room and being given one with an open window all night! They have tried to put another frame in front of it, but this is open too and does absolutely nothing for the noise level, or the coldness of the room.
You can turn the aircon on but this unit like most aircon units is incredibly noisy, so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
The bathroom being all tiled was also very cold with no heating in it and I hated that the room has a separate toilet room with no sink in it. So you’d have to do you your business and leave that room and walk to the bathroom to use the sink to wash your hands, touching four door handles on the way. How many germs have you spread and how many other people before you have done the same thing? Very unhygienic.
The room was also very dusty and really needs a thorough, THOROUGH dusting. The room was clean enough but when you turn on the very strange laptop/spotlight lights they have for reading lights, the beam totally picks up all the choking dust in the air and FYI Management, the mirror in this room is covered in dust. It’s not apparent in the daylight but at night, in the spotlights, it is absolutely covered!
So, that was my experience of the Rutland, sorry that I was so disappointed in it. We had dinner in the joining restaurant which I will review separately. If you are staying in the hotel, you get 20% off the bill if dining from the a la carte menu. I didn’t think the restaurant menu was great, didn’t have a lot of choice and was quite expensive with all side dishes and accompaniments having to be ordered and billed separately. If not for 20% off, I’d have dined elsewhere.
Breakfast is not included in the room price and I believe it is served in the public bar. I skipped it as I just wanted to leave. I don’t know if the bar would be open, being a public bar I presume it would be, but I don’t fancy eating my breakfast in a bar.
The hotel is in a very good location, driving from Glasgow, we found it no problem, and it was on our route into the city. Parking is apparently in a multi-storey car park nearby, but we never found it, rather we parked on a square around the corner which had a parking discount as it was Christmas.
When I left the room in the morning to check the car, I saw that all other rooms had a newspaper left outside the door but ours did not. No big deal, but it’s these little things that loses points and that people remember.
So, to summarise, twas an ok hotel, but I wouldn’t stay again and I’m disappointed as I had such high hopes for the place. But FYI management, get that old window sorted ASAP! Edinburgh in December with an open window??? What are you thinking? And give the room a through deep clean and dusting with particular attention to the bathroom door handles. (Shivers)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rutland Hotel? Share your experiences!