“Not cheap, just nasty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #284 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Not cheap, just nasty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

This place signifies everything that is wrong with modern British hospitality, where profit margins and cost cutting gains far greater priority over customer experience. The sad thing is that so many people are willing to put up with this which means that standards will never improve.

Where do I start?

Perhaps with the room. Dirty, old, and where the creaky loud beds haven't been changed for over a century which means that having a decent night sleep is impossible.

The breakfast - we were promised a continental breakfast when absolutely nothing was fresh. Breakfast consists of:

Tinned fruit
Processed cheese slices
Value bread from a packet
Cereal from a packet

Don't hope for one second for anything cooked, eggs or anything fresh!

To top it all when we asked to have a word to say that we were unhappy with the breakfast, before having the chance to speak we were immediately subjected to a long winded defensive speech by the owner (presumably because he's had to deal with so many complaints) saying that he knows best because he's run the place for 14 years. No interest whatsoever in listening to suggestions for improvement.

I felt completely violated and angered as to how someone could show such disregard to criticism. Places that refuse to change or listening to customers are destined to fail.

Without a doubt, the worst place I've stayed in my life.

• Stayed August 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Myself and partner stayed over the Jubilee weekend and have to say enjoyed our stay at the guest house. On arrival we were met by the owner who was very polite and helpful, welcomed us warmly to his guest house and helped us with our bags and provided us with plenty of information on things to do and bus routes. Made us feel welcome and would recommend staying and will be happy to stay there again when we return to finish seeing the sites of Edinburgh.

The room had all what was required, we were given a larger room then when we booked, double bed and single bed, which provided us with ample room, the bed though was hard but suitable for a good night sleep when we came back in the evening. Also tea and coffee, tv and ensuite shower room that was provided with a powerful shower that was more then suitable.

The breakfast in the mornings was as advertised, a continental breakfast, with fruit juice, tea, coffee, various cereals, fruit and yoghurts and toast brought to the table with plastic cheese, cheese spread marmalade and jam provided. Gave us a suitable starting m,eal to the day.

The guest house itself is a 15 min walk to the north bridge and close to bus route that allowed easy access to the sights of Edinburgh.

After checking out the owner wished us a safe journey home and allowed us to leave our car in the parking spot until we finished site seeing which was very nice of him.

The place did exactly what it said on the tin, nothing fancy but adequate for what we needed and would recommend staying if up for a couple of days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
South Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here during the Edinburgh Marathon weekend. Participating in the full marathon. Preparation is vital, so I brought my own breakfast (porridge) to be boiled for 3 mins on a hob, I asked could this possibly be done? I was refused. So I went out purchased porridge that you use boiled water in from my room not a problem. No bath in the house to have for aching muscles.

Breakfast on 2nd morning, I thought we were going to have a Scottish breakfast. I was disappointed. Tinned fruit and plastic square burger cheese on the table. No choice of white/brown bread. Certainly NO eggs (found in one of the previous reviews) I could see that other guest were also disappointed and recommended a place to have breakfast in town.

The rooms were clean and bed comfortable, not that we needed much rocking. Bathroom very small. The room does need updating.

I was not overwelmed by this B & B. I have friends who have B&B's and have been to a few over the years, I do not feel that I got the service, friendliness that has been offered in other B&B's.

He was very keen to take the money which was not cheap £178.00 for 2 nights extremely easy money I feel.

Room Tip: The back of the house has a better view which he did offer. Currently there is gas works going on o...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The owner is a great man, very kind, helpful, accommodating, and does all he can for his guests! Just a 15 minute walk from the city center, this place offers great value, with plenty of free parking and continental breakfast in the morning. Lovely views out the back of the house, clean rooms, and a quiet place to lay your head at night! Highly recommended to anyone who does not have the budget to stay in the city center!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

The owner was a helpful man however the value for money was terrible. The total cost for two nights in a double room was £160 which I didn't think was fair for what you were given. The rooms were extremely basic and breakfast was very simple. We were offered either cereal, toast or tinned fruit to start the day which wasn't very appealing. The window in our room was single glazed and rattled during the night continuously which was only fixed after we jammed the frame with a map. The bed sheets became very itchy and uncomfortable. Overall it was a tidy place quite far from the city centre unless you were driving. Next time we will be going for a premier inn.

• Stayed February 2012
Wauwatosa, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I would recommend the Capital Guest House in Edinburgh as a conveniently located, reasonably priced B&B. The best part of the guest house is the owner, who goes to great lengths to accommodate his guests.
My husband and I arrived from the States, mid-morning on a weekday as he was bidding several guests goodbye. My husband had a migraine, felt miserable, and all we wanted was a place to rest. Though we knew check-in was in the afternoon, we arrived, bag and baggage, about 9:30 or 10. Although our room was barely vacated and not ready for us, the owner gave us a room to stay in for an hour or so, while they got ours ready. We were able to crash for several hours and feel somewhat revived by the afternoon when we felt good enough to go sightseeing. The owner even asked the help to work quietly so as not to disturb us. He could not have been more considerate.
We stayed 3 nights. He was always ready with advice and directions. We could walk, about 10/15 minutes, to the Royal Mile, or take a bus, across the street or one block over, where they ran much more often.
I noticed during our stay that he was equally helpful with everyone. He made phone calls, called cabs, gave directions, helped with luggage –
The rooms were clean, good sized, had the usual coffee & tea plus different cookies each day. Breakfast was the usual, with cereals, fruit, etc. available but also eggs made to order.
Would I use the Capital Guest House again, or suggest it to friends? Definitely yes!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

My mother and I stayed here this week. The host couldn't be nicer! He helped with our bags and made sure we were comfortable. He was always around to call a taxi whenever we needed one and the place is very clean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Capital Guest House? Share your experiences!