“What a fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars

0131 554 0008
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Bar scene, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Mithas is an innovative and exquisite Indian dining experience that reflects true Indian flavours using traditional methods in a contemporary setting. The chefs were handpicked to deliver what was cited by known food critics as 'bold, exciting and unimaginable within Indian cooking'. Our contemporary take is rooted in age-old traditions, therefore delivering taste sensations that take you beyond your expectations but with a reminder of the origins. Mithas's preparatory methods include the three core Indian cooking styles; Tandoor (clay ovens with temperatures of up to 390ºC), Sigri (cooking over a coal flame) and Tawa (searing and griddling on hot plate). The food is immediately served as it is prepared retaining its freshness, fragrant and delectable flavours. We sincerely hope you enjoy the Mithas dining experience!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a roller coaster of a weekend, went to Kushis in Antigua Street on Friday amazing as always then on Sunday went with my son for his birthday to Mithas on the Shore what a fantastic meal we had, we went for the meat taster menu it was brillant from beginning to end what a journey of amazing flavours and textures we loved the way we were guided through the menu brillant absolutly brillant we will definatly be back the service was so well choreographed
it made the evening all the more special Thank you Mithas

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very good food, overfussy waitering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is not your average indian Saturday-night eating place. It's high-end, and you can see food being cooked fresh in the kitchens: the chefs are separated from the diners by a glass wall, making them look a bit light goldfish in a tank, and te place is scrupulously clean, you can see them paying great attention to detail.
Business must be good because they have taken over what was the Shebeen, the pub next door.
My wife and I made a sudden decision to eat with them, Saturday night. They were able to halp us despite pretty much every table being booked.
Their menu isn't enormous, making main course options for a vegatarian a bit limited, My wife and I shared a vegetarian starter, accompanied by tomato, plum, and mixed dry curries and herbs. Superb. Beautiful flavour with a bit of a kick, and the sauces were excellent. Forget plum sauce as you'd find in a chinese restaurant, this was created fresh on the day, and you had the sharpness of fresh plums with a tinge of hot curry.
I moved on to a seafood main - a mixed fish dish, which was quite mild thanks to its coconut and seafood sauce. Heaven.
Having enjoyed those so much, I finished with a poached pear which was a delightful creation, stuffed with cheese and accompanies by ice cream and a nutty, slightly spicy brittle.
I had a perfectly good sauvignon from their list, which I know was overpriced - none of their wines are cheap. I may bring my own next time.
(The reason they encourage BYOB is because to begin with they were unlicensed, relyinging on sales from the pub next door or people bring their own. They are fully licensed but I suspect they prefer to establish their reputation based on the quality of their food)
The only real criticism is over-fussy waitering. They were just a little bit too solicitous! But I think that's all part of the experience. Their staff are knowledgeable, and want to impart that knowledge to you if you haven't been before. So I'm being over-fussy in saying they're being over-fussy!
It's a place for a special meal, but that doesn't come cheap.
I thought it was excellent. Not the best I've ever eaten, but getting pretty close to it

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cartainly one of the best Indian meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had the tasting menu- dish after dish of delicately flavoured delights. We BYOB so not even expensive. The poached pear desert was a delight. So much more appropriate than the usual ice cream offer. Charming professional staff. It was great to see the tandoor ovens in use. We will be back.

Vancouver, Canada
“About as fine as Indian cuisine gets.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Exceptional Indian cuisine! Heads and shoulders above the typical Indian restaurant that one finds in North America, where I have eaten most of my many Indian meals. If you are just looking for the "old generic standbys" like butter chicken, go elsewhere. But, if you want original, expertly spiced and cooked food, this is your place!
Example: most Indian restaurants serve chicken dishes where the chicken has been cooked within an inch of its life, but then hidden under glops of sauce to try to mask it. NOT HERE. We had chicken marinated in yoghurt and spices and cooked in the tandoor that exploded with juiciness and was oh so tender.
Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi food aficionados, RUN TO THIS RESTAURANT!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SHREWSBURY
“Wish I lived in Edinburgh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We tried MITHAS as we were staying close by and there were so many good reviews. It really does match the billing and we had a superb experience. The venue is well presented and spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly with a mixed Asian and European team delivering high standard service. The food is a treat to the eye as well as the palate and the background music creates a fine ambience.
This is not a cheap option but it is excellent value for money. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, it felt like we'd been in a different world. I eat out a lot and have become increasingly fussy. This experience surpassed our expectations and that is quite an acheivement.