“Perfect Hotel in Great Location with Excellent Staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ailsa Craig Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Ailsa Craig Hotel to your Saves list
Ailsa Craig Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Royal Terrace, Edinburgh EH7 5AH, Scotland (Calton Hill)   |
Ranked #122 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
USA
“Perfect Hotel in Great Location with Excellent Staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Ailsa Craig Hotel last month when we were in Edinburgh and I honestly can't say enough good things about the place. The staff are very courteous and accomodating and absolutely professional in every respect. We had a large room at the top of the stairs on the second floor which looked down onto Royal Terrace and the park beyond. The room was very pleasant and comfortable. Wonderful nights sleep in the warm bed and also a room one could just relax in easily. The breakfast provided was superb. My daughter is a vegetarian and the staff provided enough choices in non-meat foods to keep her happy the whole time. I loved the full Scottish Breakfast which I ate every morning we were there and the coffee was excellent. Great location near to Calton Hill and plenty of pubs and restaurants and a Tesco just down the street. Maybe a ten minute walk to Princes Street (main shopping district) where the Scott's Monument is and Waverly Train Station and the Princes Street Mall and perhaps a twenty minute walk to Edinburgh Castle. Highly recommend this hotel all the way around. Loved every minute there.

Room Tip: loved room top of stairs second floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed at the Ailsa Craig for 3 nights in April, overall we found the hotel to be very good. The room we stayed in was a basement room with 2 single beds and 1 double, the room had an ensuite bath/shower which was modern and spotless. Room cleaned and towels changed daily. Breakfast was good and staff were friendly and helpful. Location was excellent, only a short walk to main attractions and shopping, with plenty of car parking nearby at a reasonable rate (for a city). Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
West Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is the hotel you want if you want it in a nice quiet area near all the sights but out of the way of all the noise, its a 5 minute walk to Princes St.The hotel iself is loively the rooms are nice and staff are freindly and helpul, if you want advise were to visit ask them they will advise you. going back later this year and would reccomend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

My partner & I really enjoyed our stay in the hotel, I especially liked their informalness, it was professional without being cold & the staff were very warm. Our room was very nice & my partner specifically booked the en-suite room which I would highly recommend. The bed was very comfortable if a bit on the small size. Our room (number 10) was one of the biggest there I believe but I'd definitely recommend it. The bathroom was lovely, it was basic but very clean. I thought we had excellent value for money. We never tried the food or the breakfast so I can't comment. The location was perfect & it really is only 10 minutes walking distance away from Prince's Street (the main shopping street) which was ideal as it meant no taxi's and a bit of money saved :) My only complaint was that it had no lift & we were on the third floor, as Edinburgh is quite hilly & I'm a smoker I did find it a tad bit difficult with bags (and maybe even without!) but it really was my only complaint. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Ailsa Craig & would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

This is a very nice hotel situated with a lovely view of the Firth of Forth (Estuary/River). The staff were very accomodating and when we realised that we had booked doubles instead of twins, they quickly sorted the problem without fuss. Breakfast consisted of several cereals to choose from and three different fruit juices. A full English/Scottish was available and this was very fresh and well presented. Alternatives were available. Tea/Coffee and toast was endless. Amenities were good, room cleaned daily, fresh towels etc etc. All in all a lovely, clean, friendly hotel

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Visited Edinburgh the weekend of the 19th February - having arrived at our hotel late at night I was pleasantly surprised at the welcome we received! My boyfriend and I were placed in a very spacious room on the lower level with three beds!! The bathroom was lovely.. Included a bath and the shower in one. Extra blankets could be found in the wardrobe.. These were very handy as it did get a bit cold at night!
The location of the hotel couldnt have been better.. Central to everything! Although its a little bit of walk, the surroundings are just beautiful so it didn't cause a problem!
If visiting Edinburgh again I will definitely stay at the Ailsa Craig Hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

we had a great idea for christmas we bought my partners parents a weekend away they only stayed one night. there was no heating and the beds were bumpy and the sheets we like horse hair and the shower didnt work well it wasnt powerfull enough to even wash the shampoo out of there hair there was no lift and they stayed on the top floor when they asked for another heater it took hours for the staff to get one. even tho it said there was a place to park the car near by that was a 30 min walk away it was a failur from start to finish they said the only good this was the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Ailsa Craig Hotel? Share your experiences!