“Comfortable but a bit corporate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #85 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
UK
“Comfortable but a bit corporate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

This was comfortable enough, not terrific value, and I would not have stayed here if I had not been booked in by the organisation I was working with in Edinburgh. The breakfast atmosphere was the most corporate aspect of the hotel, and it is a shame that what could have been a nice old building seems to have been stripped of character. No real complaints, it was just a bit soulless.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you only chose to stay with us because your organisation booked you in.

Principal Hayley have spent £20m on refurbishing the George Hotel and we and most of our guests, believe they have done a great job. The old part of the building has retained its grandeur and history and the hotel has been improved and restored beautifully. The hotel has never before been described at soulless but I accept your opinion.

David Welch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
fife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

My partner and myself visited Edinburgh for the festival. the hotel was easy to find but parking was not so easy! We had to parking a multi storey car park that was about 15 mins walk away and very expensive!!
On arrival to the hotel it appeared very busy, but there was not delays checking in. The foyer was stunning and stay very friendly.
We took the lift up to the the second floor where we found it a bit confusing to find our room. After finding it stuck down a little corridor off the main one we where so disappointed. it was very small with a tiny window in the corner that was over looked by other bedrooms! so the curtains had to stay closed. the bathroom was had a huge pillar blocking the bath, it was impossible to turn on the taps for the bath without jumping into the bath first.
Everything was clean and fresh but it would not say the room was any better tan a travel lodge.
A bit of reproduction furniture and a couple of fancy lamps did not impress me that much.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the George Hotel.

With being located so centrally in Edinburgh the hotel does not have a car park. What we do offer is parking at a local NCP at Greenside which is within walking distance of the hotel abnd our guests are offered a 20% discount.

It sounds like you had a standard double room in our Adam Wing. This part of the hotel has gone through a refurbishment but being a Grade 2 listed building we are restricted in what we are able to do hence the pillar you mention. We are happy to upgrade guests wherever possible depending on availability and should you decide to come back on another occasion please ask our team to do this for you.

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback which we always welcome.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

stayed at the george for the first time , booked through booking.com and got a really really great deal at £89 double room!! no breakfast was included but thats fine, mentioned that it was my friends special birthday and they ungraded us to a delux room that was stunning!! will be returning for defo with my partner and children , the tempus bar next door is just lovely a bit on the pricey side but hey you wouldnt expect anything else from george st,

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your rave review of the George Hotel. I'm so pleased that everything was to your liking.

We are only too happy to upgrade where we can and I'm delighted that we were able to give you a deluxe room for your friend's special birthday.

Our award winning Tempus Bar and Restaurant is actually very competitively priced with other quality bars on George Street. If you come again you must try some of the superb cocktails our bartender produce.

I hope you will decide to return with your partner on another occasion. Please let our reservations team know that you are a tripadvisor reviewer so that we can thank you.

Sunderland/Rio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We arrived and were shown to a tiny 'double room' which contained only a three-quarter bed. The headboard designed for a double and was 60 cm wider than the bed. Initially the member of staff dealing with my compliant tried to argue that the room was a 'standard double' but quickly back-pedalled when i asked to speak to the general manager. We were then offered a choice of two other standard rooms or a suite which unfortunately had a generator right next to the bedroom window.

Internally the hotel looked tired in need of a thorough clean.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I must advise that we do not have any three-quarter beds in the George Hotel so it must have been a standard double that you were initially shown to. If you were not happy at the time with the room you eventually got, one of my senior colleagues or the Duty Manager would have been very happy to speak with you. Or even myself if I was free and in the hotel. I am not sure what room you opted for in the end but they are all made up to a very high standard and we get few complaints about bedrooms.

I am very sorry that you felt the hotel in general looked tired and in need a thorough clean. Our housekeepers take great pride in the hotel and maintain very high standards. We receive very little negative feedback about cleanliness and usually get very positive feedback and nice comments from guests. Our Executive Housekeeper recently won an industry award for her high standards.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

We enjoyed our one night stay here - very convenient for shopping or site-seeing plus a short walk from the Waverley Train Station which suited us. The staff were very helpful, the room spacious and clean (we had a upgrade) with bottle of wine too and full Scottish breakfast all for £124.00 through a late room booking site. All in all, very good value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a positive review. It is nice to hear our staff being praised for their helpfulness and that you found your room spacious with everything as it should be. I am pleased we were able to give you an upgrade and will pass your comments on.

I am glad you liked The George Hotel's central location in the hub of busy George Street. We have excellent shops, bars and restaurants in close proximity and many of Edinburgh's sight seeing opportunities are within easy walking distance.

I hope we can welcome you back on another occasion.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in June while on a research trip to the National Library. I had read mixed reviews, but I also knew to stay away from the royal mile if I wanted any chance of sleep while on this trip. So, we gave it a chance. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel itself is in a beautiful old building. I had the best cappuccino at the bar.

And, while not on the royal mile, it is walking distance (10-15 min, but uphill), and we preferred being in a classier section of town. My only complaints were that we had a deal for a free bottle of wine upon arrival. It wasn't there so we had to ask for it and then the maid took it away while cleaning our room. But, this was rectified. Also, in the middle of the night people tried to come into our room. This is not the hotel's fault and probably what you get in Edinburgh but it was surprising nonetheless.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for trying our hotel. I am very pleased that you had a good stay with us. We are lucky with our location on George Street which is so central and buzzing with great shops, restaurants and bars. Our Tempus bar, where you enjoyed a coffee is award winning and the staff there make great cocktails.

I apologise that your complimentary bottle of wine was not in your room as it should have been and that you had to chase for it. I am reminding the staff concerned of the correct procedures. I am surprised to hear that people tried to enter your room during the night. We do not often hear of this and assume our guests will keep rooms locked at all times.

I hope you will return to The George Hotel.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed in The George this past week for 4 nights. A bit worried about the mixed reviews but were satisfied overall. We had a lovely room which we received as a complimentary upgrade- it was very large with nice decor. As I was traveling with a friend, we were happy with the room size and the two large beds. Very comfortable duvet, etc. I had to spend more time in the room due to being ill, so I was content.

The employees were all helpful and polite, and the location was perfect if you prefer being in the New Town area. Plenty of restaurants and bars around the hotel.

If I had to list a drawback, there would be two: Our window only opened an inch due to safety (the sign on the window warned that it would open all of the way so be careful, but clearly the sign was outdated which was verified by one of the concierges who reiterated that the windows do not open more than that inch). We had to shove magazines through the window to hold it open that inch.

The other drawback is that George Street is not quiet at the moment due to the Tram being built on Princes Street. Prior to our trip, we knew about the Tram causing a ton of construction sites and street blockage, but the difference about the George is that since George Street runs parallel with Princes Street and Princes Street is closed in many sections, ALL of the buses/lorries go down George Street instead now, and at late hours of the night. Our last day there I remarked that at least now I was looking forward to going home to my quiet street.

Oh, I also prefer a minibar/fridge in my hotel rooms as I like to keep my drinks cold, but I seem to be seeing these less and less lately. No fridge here unfortunately. I kept leaving warm diet cokes around the room daily as I couldn't keep them cold.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments will help us improve our service

I am pleased that you liked your room and found the bed and duvet to be very comfortable. It's a pity that you were not feeling well during your stay.

I note what you say regarding the windows only opening a very small amount. We have window stops on most of our windows for safety and the sign you mention should perhaps not be there now. I will ask my housekeeping manager to look into this. I agree that it must have been a bit inconvenient to have to wedge the window open with a magazine.

You are right about Edinburgh buses diverting via George Street due to the tram works which are ongoing. I am pleased to advise that from the end of November the buses with revert to Princes Street and there should be a lot less outside noise around George Street.

We do not have minibars in any of our rooms, as is the case with many hotels. They were no longer viable.

Thank you for your positive comments about the staff at the hotel and we hope you will come and stay at The George Hotel again.

David Welch

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!