“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #80 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
San Diego, California
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a very nice room in the back, the stay came with a huge breakfast buffet too! It was on the hill in new town, close to everything. Lots of places to eat and shop nearby, and a bus stop out front. We used the hop on and off bus for 24 hours to see the whole town.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear john g

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The George Hotel following your stay with us.

I am delighted to see that our breakfast buffet was to your liking. It is important to get the day off to a good start. I will share your review with the staff and I am sure that they will also be delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Should you find yourself back in Edinburgh please be assured that a warm welcome awaits you here at The George.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Having read the mixed reviews we were a little apprehensive about booking this hotel but I'm pleased to say our fears were unfounded. We booked a superior double room for 3 nights and were very pleased with the quality of the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable we've experienced in any hotel and this alone would make us want to return. Everything was spotlessly clean and the shower was hot and powerful. The only slight disappointment was the poor selection of channels and picture quality of the TV. Wifi was included in our package so we watched a film online which streamed perfectly.

The first night we ate in the restaurant. The food was good if a little pricey but the service was incomprehensibly slow with only 3 other diners while we were there. We would've ordered dessert but, after 2 hours, we'd had enough.

As mentioned in other reviews, breakfast was amazing - a phenomenal choice of cereals, juices, cold and hot buffet items. We were lucky in not having to wait for a table but it did get busy as we left.

Throughout our stay the staff were all friendly and helpful and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear chameleon 64

Many thanks for your review of The George Hotel and the recommendation it contained. I fully appreciate that many travellers today do rely on website reviews for information and ideas. I would therefore like to thank you personally for making a balanced decision and booking The George.

We are currently in the process of installing free view TV throughout the building to ensure that our guests have a good choice of channels and radio stations without having to pay for this as an extra. Your feedback on this is much appreciated as it shows that we are right to not only listen to our guest feedback but need to react to it.

Should y consider staying with us again please do contact me direct and I will see if I can offer an upgrade

Leeds,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have worked and stayed in Edinburgh many times and was surprised when a hotel of this quality was offering a Groupon deal which included breakfast (excellent), a box of Belgium chocolates (very good) and. bottle of Prosecco (not so good).

This is a very good hotel and if you can get it at a good price represents excellent value. Our room was a good size though the bathroom was quite small. Well placed for both Old and New Town attractions.

Agree with other comments about the wifi but as a leisure traveller this did not bother me but if I was staying on business it could prove to be annoying.

Room Tip: Try to choose a high floor room as there is a cobbled street at the back which can be noisy with tra...
Dear Stedmeister

Thank you for the review of The George Hotel.

We were delighted to work in partnership with Groupon and the deal proved extremely popular. I am sorry to see that you were disappointed with the Prosecco. The type we use has been popular with guests but I will take your comments on board and look out for any other similar comments.

Our rooms do vary in size and decor as do the bathrooms. Should you consider staying with us again please do remind us that y would prefer a larger bathroom.

I hope that we can welcome you back to The George again soon.

Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We went for a long weekend to Edinburgh and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor opted for The George. We were not disappointed. The room was comfortable and we slept well. The restaurant and bar were well decorated and there was a real buzz in the bar. The hotel was well situated to sight see and shop. We will stay here again and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JanisWilson

Just a quick thank you for the review you have posted and the recommendation it contained. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Nice to see that you had enough time to visit our award winning Tempus bar and restaurant. We are in the process of looking at how we can improve this and we will be carrying out an exciting refurbishment soon.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope that you will return to The George again soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

A truly beautiful hotel. Staff were helpful and professional. Breakfast buffet was outstanding and served in a magnificent room.

Our room was very large and lovely, although it lacked air conditioning, and the noisy off-alley location discouraged opening the windows. Would not stay here mid-summer (even a Scottish summer).

Lastly, the free wifi setup was absolutely Byzantine in its setup, taking several minutes to get working. Further, while the system allowed for two devices (wholly inadequate for a stay of any length, given laptop, phone, kindle for each of us), the second device continually needed to be re-authorized, which quickly lead to "don't bother".

Still, a great place to stay for your last night in Edinburgh.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Southfarthing

My thanks to you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The George Hotel.

Great to see that our breakfast got your day off to a good start and that your room was comfortable. Sorry about the noise issue you encountered and I hope it did not interfere with your sleep.

We are in the process of changing our wifi supplier and as such I am most grateful for your information regarding this. I will take this up with the new suppliers and look to resolve this.

I do hope that if you were ink Edinburgh again you would consider staying with us again and pleas be assure a warm welcome awaits.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I booked a Standard Double En-suite Room for a low cost. The room and facilities were nice and made the stay pleasant. The double bed was lovely and almost felt like it was cuddling you....Best hotel bed yet! However the bathroom was not as big as I would of anticipated, allowing little room for two people to move freely in.The television had minimal channels although you could purchase more. The sound from people in corridors and the storage cupboards was louder than I would have liked, You could also hear traffic from the street below (we were on the 5th floor) . All staff were very pleasant and accommodating.
Overall the stay was pleasant and good value for the money we paid.

Room Tip: We had a room that was next to a storage cupboard (which are in-between every other room on the 5th...
Dear Kev_Nichol

Many thanks for the review you have posted in relation to The George Hotel.

I do take on board your comments in relation to the bathroom in the room you were allocated. Bathroom sizes do differ within the hotel so if you are booking again please do ask for a larger bathroom.

I am sorry about the noise issue you had. I have asked that this be looked at as the doors between rooms are not storage cupboards but house the electrics etc for the rooms. I am grateful that you have drawn this to my attention.

The staff will be delighted to see your comments in relation to them when I share your review at our next Quality Wins staff lunch.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The George again soon

Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

First of all - the stay was paid for by University, so no comment on "value". Enormous double room, very well equipped. Good shower, huge comfortable bed, quiet night in a very central location. What else does one need? Good Scottish-standard breakfast. Will not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear vmilman

I am delighted to see from the review you posted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at The George Hotel.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with the staff and I am sure that they too will appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to post a review. It is great to see that your room was to your liking and will make sure that your profile is updated to reflect this style of room as a preference for you.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The George again soon.

Graeme Barclay

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!