“Easter Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #85 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Easter Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Thank you George hotel we had a fantastic weekend . Room on the 6 the floor had fantastic views . Everything provided hair dryer tea coffee iron . Only moan we did have was the use of the safe it was on the floor , had to get on knees to access it . Hotel and resturant excellent value staff friendly and helpful . Great location for shopping and other bars and resturants . The George was grand but not over whelming . Front of house could do with a re shuffle as the staff did seem a bit clueless . No problem with wi if it was a free login . Would definitely stay at the George again . Edinburgh was a great city friendly and amazingly clean . Delia Smith

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear DeliaS

I am delighted to read your review and to see that you had a wonderful time in this great city. I was really pleased to see from your review that yet again the staff were amazing Ambassadors for The George.

I have asked that maintenance look at the location of the safe issue in all our rooms to see if this can be improved. Thank you for drawing this to my attention.

I do hope that you will return to The George Hotel again soon where you will be assured of a warm welcome.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here last year and loved it - large comfortable bed and great room.
We booked again to stay here again and they put us into the "new wing". which was through a very ugly and unappealing maze of a coridoor.. the room itself was really noisy.
Extremely thin walls, we took a nap and were woken up by the neighbours TV. We could hear all conversations of our neighbour and even when they used the toilet.
It was really irritating. We complained twice and got no compensation
Will not stay here again. There is no consistency apart from the comfort of the bed

Room Tip: ask for a room in the old wing
Dear Dolarr

Whilst disappointed at the content I am nonetheless grateful for your review. I am sorry that on this occasion your room was not to your liking. We have three very different buildings within the hotel all of which differ in size and decor.

Should you wish to return please do contact me direct and I will do everything I can to ensure that you are allocated the correct room for you.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was amazing. My boyfriend and I were only staying at the George Hotel for one night but from the moment we arrived to when we left the hotel staff couldn't do enough for us. Any problem or enquiry we had was no issue for them and they were happy to help.

The hotel it's self was just stunning! We stayed in a standard double room and it was lovely, spacious and fancy. Even though we'd gone for the standard room we felt like we definietly got every penny worths staying there.

We loved it and we will definietly stay at the hotel again when we next visit Edinburgh!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catherine B

WOW thank you for this wonderful review. I am delighted that your stay with us was so enjoyable.

I will ensure that your kind comments are shared with the staff and I am sure they will also be thrilled to hear your review.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The George Hotel again soon.

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed here for just one night - cannot fault the Hotel in any way. Room was fantastic, well equipped, choice of bath or huge shower, in equally huge bathroom - 2 sinks too. Bed large and comfy, great views fromthe window too.
Restaurant, well, what can i say, fabulous tasty food, great service, great atmosphere, even if it was interrupted by a fire alarm and ten minutes on the pavement outside! We were particularly lucky with the weather, which was wall to wall sunshine for the two days we were in Edinburgh.

Check in and out was smooth and all staff were courteous and efficient. One last thing, breakfast, was also superb, a buffet style but it would be easier to name things that weren't on it, copious choice and all well cooked and presented.

Overall, all areas and the room were clean, tidy and immaculate. I would thoroughly recommend this place. Also very central for the city, we were within easy walking distance of all the sights, and 5 mins from the castle.

Dear HenryandMarilyn

Thank you so much for the review you have posted. Having shared it with the staff they are absolutely delighted that your stay with us was such a success.

I do hope that you will return to The George again soon

glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I can see from the previous reviews I must have been unfortunate but I was very disappointed in the hotel and the hotel bedrooms. I had ordered a premier room with city views, champagne, chocolate and rose petals on the bed. What I got was a third floor room looking into a building, a room that was characterless and really more suited for the business traveller but then again he/she would have to pay for his/her wifi! Reception quickly realised their mistake and the voucher for the glasses of champagne arrived, sadly the promised rose petals have never materialised. The main reception is pleasant and the staff are efficient. Tempus bar and restaurant is also very smart and staff efficient and attentive, drinks prices reasonable and the hotel is in a great location for enjoying the city. However in my circumstance I was very disappointed in the room and as it was for a special occasion particularly so. I checked with reception and they confirmed it was a superior room. I asked about the city views but the receptionist stated I would have to get a better room, when I pointed out that the advert stated "city views" she was a bit lost and also couldn't explain the rose petal situation, I do not believe in giving reception staff the inquisition, what is done is done however a more reflective and accurate description would help to limit ones expectations! I would not return to The George and would not recommend it, I think there are other more special, luxurious hotels in Edinburgh for not a lot more money.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
Dear westwing2

Having read your review it is clear that there were issues with your stay. Please accept my personal and sincere apologies for this. Your package items should have been in your room for your arrival as this is the standard. I will be following up on your comments with the relevant managers.

If you would like to follow this up further please do not hesitate to contact my Guest Relations team.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Everything was absolutely fabulous. Staff at reception desk were excellent and check in was simple and quick. The hotel room was, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was varied and tasty. All the staff we encountered were pleasant, cheerful and very helpful. This was our first visit to Edinburgh and will not be our last. We will stay at the George again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Mary N

WOW what a wonderful review you have posted following your stay here at The George Hotel. It is great to see that yet again the staff were tremendous Ambassadors for us. I will be sharing your review with them.

I am delighted to see that you will consider staying with us again and please be assured that a warm welcome awaits you.

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We recently spent a couple of nights at The George as part of an annual reunion of 5 couples. From the minute we arrived we knew we would enjoy the experience, the staff were friendly yet courteous, the decor was excellent and the quality of the rooms was as good as we had been told. The only negatives we heard were from other customers! Mostly to do with the queues at breakfast, however, being early risers that didn't affect us.
We did have one small complaint, the doorman at the pub entrance wouldn't let 2 of the wives in through the bar when they decided to return early! Even when they showed their room keys they were refused entrance as he said one of them was 'too loud', good job the concierge on the main hotel door didn't have the same attitude!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jim H

Many thanks for the review you have posted following your stay here at The George Hotel. I am delighted that your reunion was enjoyable.

I have spoken to my Manager in Tempus regarding the comment you have made and this will be monitored going forward. Thank you for drawing this to my attention.

Please do let me know if you intend to return to The George for your next reunion and I will see what I can do for you and your friends..

Graeme Barclay

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!