“Not so amazing in my experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #82 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hudson, oh
“Not so amazing in my experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The George Hotel is absolutely well situated within walking distance of Edinburgh's premier tourist attractions. The lobby of the hotel is impressive giving the impression of elegance and class. However, that impression faded during our several night stay. The rooms that were assigned to my wife and I as well as the other couple we were traveling with were small even by European standards. But small is one thing, noisy is quite another. Each night we were treated to a bin bashing which I assume came from the kitchen? On our final night we endured techno music from the hotel ballroom until three AM coming from a private party. The comments regarding the breakfast from other reviewers are spot on. The menu never changes and the kitchen and staff are overwhelmed. Too many people in too small of an area. The hostess station for checking guests in for breakfast is at the top of the stairs. One day the main dining room was full so we were seated in a separate room below those stairs. Imagine navigating full plates of food and drink around people lined up on the stairs trying to be seated going up while we were going down. So, if you are looking for a hotel that is extremely well located this may be a good choice. However, for my money (and it is a considerable amount of money that I spent) I am stretching to give the George three stars. Totally on strength of location.

Room Tip: ask if the room will be quiet and free of noise from any kitchen or banquet events
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to lear that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be discussed in detail with the team here at The George, and we will be looking at where we can improve.

Thank you for bringing these matter to my attention.

Graeme Barclay, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Winter Park, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was impressed with the reception when our group arrived: they were ready for us, distributed keys quickly, and had a staffer ready to answer questions. Our room was spacious and comfortable - beds, chairs, desk with shelf for computer. The location meant we could walk to the castle or from the Museum when we couldn't find a taxi. The neighborhood combined with the Fringe Festival meant some noise from 5 stories below at night. The bathroom presented some problems: an unusual toilet flusher, located on the wall next to the toilet: it requires very strong direct pressure to do its job. And the tub, with fairly high sides, has nothing to grab onto for stability getting out. In the room my big complaint was the lights: it was impossible to turn on only the desk lamp; ceiling fixtures had to burn too. Very inconvenient for travelers with different bedtimes. Be careful when signing up for the internet on different devices; it's easy to forget to keep track of the code, and pay double their high prices each day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Sorry that the bedroom facilities were not to your liking. I have taken these comments on board and will be discussing them with the relevant departments, where we will be looking at where we can improve.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future.

Trimdon Grange, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Have stayed in Edinburgh many times, but this was by far the best hotel in the best location. 5 minutes walk from Waverley train station and ideally located for Princes Street. George Street itself has numerous bars and restaurants, so no need for a taxi ride home at the end of the evening.
We had booked the 'treat your partner' package as we were staying to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Having dropped the hotel an earlier email, we were also greeted with a cake and card in our room on arrival-which was a nice touch.
Lovely room, comfy bed and breakfast was also good. Worth knowing that you can order breakfast from a menu but you do have to ask, as otherwise it is just self service.
Would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I trust you enjoyed your anniversay, congratulations.

Thank you for the five score you have awarded us following your recent visit to The George.

We have many different packages available, so please do visit our website to view the full range on offer.

Once again, thank you for your review, and I hope that you will again soon.

hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Amazing hotel from the first step in the door, massive marble pillars, marble floors, very grand entrance to a hotel. My partner and I went for a couple of nights away and it couldn't have been better to be honest. The staff at the reception were very kind and friendly told us we would be staying on the 3rd floor of the main building and directed us to the lift to take us to our room. Upon entry of the room and we were pleasantly surprised. We had accidentally paid for a twin room but the beds were pushed together. The room was very clean and very quiet even though the hotel was being used for a wedding. There was a giant en-suite bathroom with white tile everywhere and a big bath/shower. We didn't use any of the hotels amenities. Very pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel as the rooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Justin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review following your recent visit to The George, and may I also thank you for the five score you awarded us.

I very much hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The George Hotel was the most amazing place me and my partner had ever stayed in, only a 2 minute walk from princes street, The George Hotel is central. The food in the restaurant was phenomenal, we spent £50 which included a 2 main meals, 2 lagers and a glass of wine. It was definitely worth the money, it was beautifully made. The George is a well run hotel, providing spectacular rooms with a warm welcome. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If you are a couple, definitely upgrade to the 'treat your partner' package!! worth it!
Dear Sarah Marie,

I am thrilled that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us.

Tempus bar and restaurant is a great place and I am pleased that you managed to dine here and sample the great delights that we have to offer.

Please do come and visit us again.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Having stayed in the George on a weekly basis up until 9 years ago, I was looking forward to returning to this hotel. I booked a double deluxe room.
The view from the room consisted of a passage-way where the large industrial bins were stored and the back of an Italian Restaurant. The noise was considerable from bins being filled with bottles and in the morning the crashing of bins being emptied which went on for some time.
There were also the delivery vans to contend with.
There are obviously many rooms in the hotel with this view and disturbance. This was called a deluxe room so I can only guess what the standard rooms have to put up with.

The room itself was obviously not designed by anyone who stays in a hotel:
The safe was at floor level. In order to put anything in one has to lie on the floor and with difficulty enter the security digits.
There are no drawers for clothes, only small shelves.
The control for flushing the toilet was very low and stiff.
There do not seem to be any double beds but just two single beds pushed loosely together each with its own single bed linen.
The bed was comfy and the Sleep Quality would have improved if it was not for the noise.

There is doubt that the situation of the George is excellent but it has unfortunately lost a lot of its style and charm with the new management. Rumour has it that this may be changing again so I hope another new owner can return it to its old glory.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a view of the trash
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing your comments to my attention.

I am sorry that the bedroom allocated to you upon arrival was not to your liking. The George Hotel is a listed building and we are restricted as to what alterations can be made. Therefore, many of the bedrooms do differ in and layout.

Due to our fantastic city centre location not all of our bedrooms from panoramic views of Edinburgh. However, please contact my office on Tel: 0131 240 7111 to enable us to update your guest history, to ensure that you are allocated a room with a view in the future.

I do appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review, as it is only through feedback such as yours that we can improve on the services that we provide here at The George.

I do hope that you will return in the future, where you can experience the changes that will have been put in place.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at The George for two nights at the end of a trip to the Highlands.

The hotel was very nice, in a great location. I was a touch disappointed by the breakfast food (it was average) but we chose it for the location (walking distance to everything in central Edinburgh) and weren't disappointed in the overall experience. It's a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces onto George street for a better view. It's an old hotel though so you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I do hope that you enjoyed your trip to Scotland and to the beautiful city of Edinburgh.

I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast and can assure you that I will be taking these on board and looking at where we can make improvements.

Please do come back and visit us again when you are next travelling to Scotland.

Graeme Barclay, General Manager

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!