“Great hotel disorganized reception staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #85 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Great hotel disorganized reception staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the George for our wedding anniversary last weekend and had a lovely stay. The room was lovely and modern (squeaky floorboards in the halls though!) and the location was great. The concierge was very helpful. The reception staff seemed quite disorganized though and sent us to the wrong end of hotel at first! My husband had organized strawberries and chocolates on our arrival but when they weren't there on our arrival and having asked twice over the next two days ( the receptionist asked him to "remind her"!)he cancelled them. The reception staff weren't very apologetic and we were a little annoyed However the receptionist at check out was very nice and apologetic and said she would pass our complaint to the pr staff. A week later we have heard nothing which is disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we failed to deliver on customer care during your time at The George, and I can assure that this is not normal practice.

Should you plan to return to Edinburgh, please contact me direct on Tel: 0131 240 7111, and I will ensure the best discounted rate possible.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

David J Welch, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were on vacation in Scotland and due to some travel related troubles we found ourselves in need of accommodations for one night in Edinburgh. While searching for a room on lastminute.com we had the good fortune of find a very reasonable rate at the George. We arrived at the hotel rather early on the morning of March 18 to find the lobby full of guests who were checking out from a full hotel. Our first positive experience occurred when we were approached by one of your bell staff who after explaining that our room would be ready as soon as possible, offered to provide us with bag storage and directed to the restaurant for breakfast. Our second positive experience occurred when we approached the desk at the restaurant. The place was packed with guests having breakfast and several guests waiting for tables. In the middle of a very hectic time for your staff, everyone at the restaurant remained extremely professional, customer focused, and polite. We were showed to a table quickly and the excellent service continued through breakfast. Once we had eaten we decided to take in some of the sights of Edinburgh while awaiting our check in time. We returned to the Hotel in the early afternoon. The front desk staff was again efficient, polite, and friendly. We checked into our room and went to rest for a few hours.

Later in the evening we returned from a rather late dinner. I checked our flight arrangements for the next day and discovered a minor complication. Mother and I approached the staff working the night shift at the front desk to as for some advice on getting to Glasgow airport for a very early departure. The young gentlemen at the front desk stopped everything they were dong and both of them set to helping us with our dilemma. After several minutes of checking options for ground transportation and brainstorming they were able to secure us a taxi to Glasgow at 2/3 the rate of the normal taxi fare. They then offered us wake-up service and to assist us with our bags. As we were heading for our room they reminded us that they would still be on duty when we were ready to leave and that they were there to assist us in any way they could. Shortly after returning to our room the telephone rang. On the other end was Fabio. Fabio happily informed me that they were able to locate a taxi that would be willing to take us to Glasgow for 20 pounds less than the already low rate that was previously secured.

At 4:30 am on March 19 the telephone in my room rang. On the other end was again Fabio who cheerfully reminded me it was time to wake and again offered his assistance with bags. We readied ourselves and went to the lobby. As we had come to expect, everyone was ready to assist us in getting on our way in a cheerful, friendly, polite manner.

As an Inflight Supervisor for a major airline I have a great appreciation for great service. The care and professionalism the staff at the George showed my Mother and I was simply outstanding. The next time I have the great fortune of returning to Edinburgh I will most certainly call upon the George. I will also share my wonderful experience with all those I encounter who are looking for a wonderful stay in a wonderful city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for awarding a 5 score!

What a fantastic review. I am delighted that the staff at the George went above and beyond to ensure that you managed to catch your flight in Glasgow.

I have taken the liberty of passing on your comments to those concenred, and I am sure they will be delighted to read them.

I very much hope that you will return to Edinburgh, and to The George, where a very warm welcome awaits you.

Berwick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is Ideally situated in the centre of Edinburgh and all the tourist attractions are within easy reach. The bedrooms are first class and the restaurant is excellent as well as reasonably priced. The staff are very attentive and I would recommend this as a place to stay if in Edinburgh.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of The George Hotel on TripAdvisor.

It sound like you had a great time in Edinburgh and at the hotel. I hope you will return again soon.

Co. Meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in this lovely slightly old fashioned hotel. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. The room was fine but disappointed to have to pay quite expensive rates for wi fi. You did get 30 minutes free but it was on a slower speed.
Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice.
you really are at the heart of teh shopping area and it is only a few minutes walk across to the Royal Mile
Good rate for the 2 days too :)

Room Tip: We were at the side and it was lovely and quiet
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on The George Hotel, and for awarding us a 5 score.

There is a small charge for wi-fi in the bedrooms for 24 hours, and 30 minutes are complimentary.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to The George in the near future.

Once again, thank you for review.

N Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed the weekend of the rugby match between Scotland and Wales. Hotel full and very busy with Welsh and Scottish supporters, though they were very well behaved so there were no nocturnal disturbances.
The room was an executive double with breakfast. It was spacious and comfortable but needs refurbished, furniture worn and carpet stained. The bathroom was tiny so a squeeze to get round the door to close it.
The amience of the hotel is disappointing. The main restaurant, Tempus has a basic menu that is mainly bistro food, although it was reasonably priced and the fish and chips were very tasty. However there is no fine dining.
We checked in after 10 pm and there was no onsight provision for food as the kitchen had closed by 3 mins, we were sent to an Italian restaurant round the corner, which was ok but hardly ideal.
The main problem was breakfast. They simply could not cope with the numbers. There were insufficient staff seating people, so there was confusion at times. The hot food service area was too small and only took 4 people at a time and there was a huge queue at times. There were other areas set up for the buffet but no one pointed them out, you sort of stumbled on them. They ran out of fried eggs when we were there, mainly because the hotplate was too small and people were taking multiple helpings of eggs, sausage and bacon. It was a rugby weekend, the men were there, all that was missing was the scrum.
Sunday morning was less busy but not any more efficient. We ordered off the menu - poached eggs and smoked haddick. After 20 mins they apologised, apparently forgotten about.
The breakfast itself was basic and though there was fruit, it was not varied.
Thiis is a well placed hotel on George Street and could and should do much better. Very disappointing.
Also guest parking is a significant walk away, not for anyone in high heels and party clothes. Parking on the street is £2.80 per hour, the hotel should try and get closer parking as this is exhorbitant.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

The George Hotel is a Grade A listed building, which means that we are restricted as to what alterations can be made around the hotel. Due to this, many of our bedrooms differ in size and layout; however we feel that this adds to character of such a grand building.

Our award wining Tempus Bar and Restaurant falls in line with competitors within George Street. Our concierge has a full list of fine dinning restaurants and would have been happy to advise you should we have known.

Please accept my apologies that your breakfast experience was not as expected. As the hotel was full with the Six Nations Scotland v Wales rugby breakfast can get extremely busy between the hours of 9.00am - 10.30am. We do advise guests of this with a letter in the bedrooms and recommend that dining prior to 9.00am will reduce waiting times etc.

The George Hotel has a fantastic location right in the heart of the city centre within easy walking distance of all major tourist attractions, shops, bars and restaurants. However, due to this great location we do not have on-site parking. We do offer residents a reduced rate at the nearby NCP car park, or their is meter parking outside the hotel.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The George again in the future, where we can hopefully restore your faith in us once more.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have just returned from The George Hotel Edinburgh and would highly recommend it for your weekend break in Edinburgh. We booked the weekend on a special deal with booking.com - bed and breakfast with a free upgrade to an executive room. The hotel is ideally located for the city centre in a quiet back street just off Princes Street only a few minutes walk from Waverley Station. There is a Sainsburys a short walk away (for room drinks and nibbles) and a very good bar/restaurant a few yards away that have 2 courses for £10 Sunday to Thursdays. The hotel itself was excellent. The staff were professional, helpful and friendly. We requested a top floor quiet room when we booked and we actually got a top floor quiet room! Room 759 with views across the rooftops towards Edinburgh Castle. The room itself was faultless with a fantastic king size comfortable bed, modern fittings, a room thermostat on the radiator that actually did control the temperature of the room and a spotless modern en suite bathroom with big fluffy towels. The complimentary bottles of water on the first night were a nice touch. The buffet breakfast was very good with plenty of options and again the staff were very helpful and efficient. It was our wedding anniversary and I had mentioned it in passing when I was booking. We were greeted with a card and cake in our room - again a lovely gesture. We were aware of a wedding in the hotel during the weekend but we were not disturbed at all by any music, noisy guests etc. I would definately recommend the hotel and if we visit Edinburgh again I would not hesitate to go back to The George.

Room Tip: Ask for a specific type of room, no noise, top floor etc.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the 5 score you awarded us, and for the great review.

I hope that we can welcome you back again sometime soon.

Yours sincerely
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed her last week for one night on a business trip. When I checked in the reception wanted me to pay even though central reservations had been emailed to let them know that bed and breakfast were to get billed to the company. Both receptionist were cold and unfriendly. It seemed like I was hassling them. Once the emailed was received I was told my room was down some stairs and no help was offered with my heavy case. Which would have been nice after a long day of traveling.

The room was average and very cold. Took forever for it to warm up. I tried calling room service which said it was 24 hours. But there was no answer so I call reception and ask for toast (as I felt asking for anything else would be too much of a hassle). I then again felt I was hassling them. Then with the toast arrived I was surprised that the poor quality of the bread.

The next morning I went to have breakfast; there were steps up in the dining room and then again with no offer of help with my case (which I took with me as I did not want to go all the way back to my room after breakfast). The breakfast was the best bit of the whole stay (bread still of poor quality).

Then when I went to checkout again they had no note of my room being paid for (asking me to pay for the stay again) and had to wait until the email was found again. Honestly you would think the night staff would have let the morning staff know of the hassle I had the night before.Then after all hassle the staff could not even get me a taxi - just pointed me across the road to the taxi rank (which was not fun crossing a bus road with a case).

If ever on business again in Edinburgh, I will be requesting a different hotel!

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!