“We had a great time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-21 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #80 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bolton, United Kingdom
“We had a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I found this hotel on a travel comparison site and we got a really good deal. We had never been to Edinburgh before and booked it based on its central location. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and a birthday and had said so on our booking. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff with glass of Prosecco. That was a really nice way to start our break. When we arrive in our room, there was a card and a cake from the hotel congratulating us. How nice! Sometimes its the little things that mean a lot.
We had booked an executive room, which was nice, large and clean, with a good view of George Street. The only down side was that on the Saturday night, the noise from the local night clubs was quite loud and went on until about 4am. It may be worth taking some ear plugs with you if you're not a night owl.
Breakfast was good. The restaurant was busy but the staff managed well.
We had a lovely stay and I would definitely recommend the hotel and would certainly go back if we were to visit Edinburgh again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may be experience noise from nightclubs at the weekend.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeHotel, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for awarding a 5 score!

I am pleased that you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh, and your stay at the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in being seated at breakfast, I do hope that you did not have to wait too long.

The city centre streets can get busy with party revellers making their way home, and I am sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Please let us know if you are planning on returning to The George and we will ensure that you are allocated a quiet room.

David J Welch, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The George is an excellent centrally located hotel on George Street in Edinburgh. It is in walking distance of the best bars and clubs and also to Princes Street with all of the best shops.

The hotel is traditionally Scottish and we were greeted by a man in a kilt who took our suit cases and directed us to the reception desk. The staff were very friendly on arrival and we were allowed to check in early. The rooms are large and extremely clean. Our room backed onto the back of the hotel where all of the bins are kept and we were woken up on the Saturday morning with a lot of noise when the bins were being emptied.

We had brought a bottle of our own champagne and asked for a bucket of ice and champagne glasses to be delivered. It was at our room within a couple of minutes, free of charge. We ate in the hotel restaurant at night which was very fancy and delicious.

We paid £10.00 each for breakfast which in our opinion was a waste of money as we could have went across the street and got way more for our money.

We stayed in the George in February 2012 and said we would definitely stay again. However, when booking a hotel for February 2013 the prices had majorly increased so therefore I had to go elsewhere.

Overall the hotel was excellent and we would definitely return depending on the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Delighted that you will consider returning to the hotel. Please look out for our special offers by visiting our website.

I was disappointed that you did not feel that our buffet style breakfast was value for money. We do try our best to offer as many produce as possible to ensure that our guest have a wide variety to select from.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have no one to blame but myself, but - using one of those online last-minute hotel booking sites - I apparently booked the wrong night. I turned up at the George (very conveniently located, close to everything) and was offered a glass of prosecco in the stunning lobby. When I asked to check in, we quickly figured out what had happened - I had no reservation, and the hotel was fully booked! However, the lovely Kirsty offered me a seat in the lounge while she checked with the reservations manager, who called the other hotels around the city to try to find me a room. Kirsty returned with a list of hotels in the city, with room rates - and directions! They really went above and beyond to help me, when it was really not their problem. So even though I never made it past the lobby, I would absolutely stay here next time, based on the kindness and service on display at the George.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging feedback. I am delighted that Kirsty was able to assist you with alternative accommodation within the city. I will ensure that Kirsty is made aware of your feedback.

I do hope that you will one day come and stay.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had a lovely stay here in February with my boyfriend. Our room was great, and extremely clean. The best thing about our stay was the service which was second to none. Every member of staff bent over backwards to help us and were all really welcoming. The only negative about this hotel was the price for breakfast. £16.50 is ridiculous frankly so we decided to go out for it. Having breakfast in the hotel is always easier but not at that price! As much as I loved the hotel and everything about it, it is enough to put me off staying there again just because finding somewhere else nearby was difficult.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, which I very much appreciate your comments regarding breakfast.

I do hope that this will not put you off returning as we offer many different packages and offers which include breakfast.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We visited Edinburgh in January after the festivities were over but the place was still buzzing on a Friday and Saturday night. The George hotel is a superb location, about five minutes easy walking to Waverley station. The Dome pub is the best in Edinburgh and is literally just across the road. Thistle street around the corner offers decent eating out choices and more old world type pubs. We ate at the Secret Garden at the Witchery and wouldn't recommend. Poor quality and expensive though the "people" service was difficult to fault.
We will be back to the George, put simply, why look anywhere else !!

Room Tip: Not a hotel that offers great views but the rooms are fine and location is superb.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

You are right in saying that our location is fantastic within the city centre. We are literally a five minutes walk from tourist attractions, shops, bars and restaurants - making The George the ideal place to stay when in Edinburgh.

I hope that you will visit us again soon, where a very warm welcome awaits you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed in a double room and found it to be tastefully decorated, however rather small especially the bathroom - luckily I was staying on my own so it was fine, would definitely upgrade to an Executive Room if I was with my partner.

Location - perfect on George Street, 5 minute walk from the train station.
Staff - Concierge was extremely helpful and friendly and looked great in his kilt! Reception - not the friendliest I've come across.

Also, as this was booked by a travel booker at work I was not made aware that this room included dinner until I received an envelope at 9pm under my door on Saturday night saying I was to present the voucher enclosed when going for dinner. This should've been given to me much earlier, perhaps on check-in surely?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Sorry that you did not receive your dinner voucher upon check-in. I can only put this down to human error and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Having read the reviews I was expecting something a little special which unfortunately was not the case. I arrived at 9pm on a business trip and was told I needed to pay in advanced because I wanted to pay by debit card ??? The hotel itself could so with a renovation and the breakfast was average. The only plus point was the location, however there are better hotels nearby at a similar price. Certainly not 5 stars more 3.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies if you were mislead in any way that The George was a five star hotel. The George Hotel is a four star hotel, and I do hope that this did not inconvenience you in any way.

I am sorry that the bedroom allocated to you was not to your satisfaction, and should you have made us aware of this during your stay, every effort would have been made to ensure you were moved to alternative bedroom.

When guests check-in to the hotel a card is normally swiped for guarantee purposes, and I am sorry that this was not the case when you arrived.

I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.

David J Welch, General Manager

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!