“This place deserves its rating” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 1,825 restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“This place deserves its rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Went for breakfast here before visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia. It's so easy to find from Ocean Terminal, just get off the Bus, double back on yourself, cross the road and head straight on until you get to the lights and turn left. the building is on the next corner and is painted bright green so you can't miss it.

Was the first person in there in the morning and got a nice welcome form the lady serving. Ordered a cappuccino whilst I perused the menu. The decor is nice and bright and fresh and the place seemed very clean. The coffee arrived quickly and was of excellent quality and I ordered a croque madame for breakfast as I didn't fancy a full scottish.

The dish was served with a short wait and during this time some more customers arrived. The chef himself brought out the food which looked very inviting.

First bite and wow - it was seriously good and cooked by someone who knows what he is doing - served with a small dressed side salad to complement it, the quality of the ingredients was superb - I know it's only a ham and cheese toastie with cheese and a fried egg on top but it was really delicious and filled me up nicely.

Had to thank the chef for a delicious breakfast when I left and next time I am in Edinburgh I will make a special journey out there for Lunch or Dinner. From Prices Street, just jump on any bus to Ocean terminal - only takes 10 minutes or so.

To say I was impressed was an understatement - a warm welcome from the lady who served me and a nice thank you from the chef when I left together with the quality of what I had at a very reasonable price in nice surroundings will make me return.

96% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Another deliciou lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just had another great lunch here. Food great as usual and served with a smile. Make sure you are brave and try something a bit different - you won't be dissappointed.

One important piece of advice tho - have the baked cheescake! Its my favourite thing to cook. And I hate to admit theirs is better than even mine ;-(

Visited July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“we just keep going back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place has set the bar high for our dining experiences (it does mean we are often a little disappointed if we head elsewhere!)
My son wanted to go here for his birthday, he gets great food freshly prepared and scoffs it up - impressive for a five year old. The fishcakes are a fave and it is not the only thing he likes as anyone with a kids will appreciate.
However don't overlook the fab food for adults too. The set menu is great (the croque Monsieur's are becoming an Edinburgh legend) but my fave part is perusing the specials board. There is always something truly special there and of a quality that belies the incredibly good price. I have had some stonking fish dishes.
A cupcake brought out with a candle for the wee man was a brilliant touch.
We love it so much we have booked it for our wedding meal and I cannot think of anywhere I would rather go (actually maybe the Seychelles but I live in the real world!)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, simply done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Myself, a veggie friend & my 6month old went here for lunch yesterday. Me for the 3rd time & is quickly becoming the only place to go for lunch in my mind. Simple, tasty, non pretentious & value for money! Each time I have devoured something from the specials menu, which has exceeded all expectations!

Yesterday it was mackerel & smoked salmon roulade with oatcakes & salad, I practically licked the plate. Followed by tirimisu which I did have to run a finger round the bowl to ensure that I had had every last drop!

With a 6 month old child I now feel compelled to applaud places that make you feel welcome & like you are still worthy of enjoying yourself. Instead of the waitress turning a lighter shade of pale as you try to squeeze your buggy through the door! Here I felt great, with the wee man popped in a high chair to try his delight if the day & then opting for a light breasted lunch anyhow! There is also great baby changing & plenty of space for when they get a little older!

If your in the area go, go, go! & if your not make the effort to try it out!

Glenrothes
“Deserves Its Rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Went to this bistro for lunch after reading the rave reviews on this site. Have been back twice since then, including a lovely breakfast. It is everything that it is cracked up to be and a little gem in what used to be one of the less salubrious parts of Leith. Food is simply prepared and delicious and served by charming staff. Can't fault it and look forward to future visits.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere