“Excellent ristorante class service great food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #883 of 1,824 restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Excellent ristorante class service great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Very nice place nice staff and the food is always excellent I've never had any complaints in the last 3 years using this Indian for both sit inn and takeaway

72% Recommend
“Perferct romantic evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and i went to this place for our meal on Friday and we loved everything about the place. We have been to a lot of indian restaurants and love indian food, and we found this the best place yet. The service was excellent, the place was very clean and the food was amazing. Do not walk by this place!

Scotland
“Most definitely best Indian around this area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Visited a while back and felt standards were slipping, however, our recent visits suggest that all is well again and food is back to previous high standard.
We're hard to please when it comes to curry, but Bonoful is serving-up some really good food.
Usually start with pakora and these were fresh and flavoursome, served with a rich tomato/chilli sauce. Very good.
Grammi chicken next and this really is superb with good quality chicken and a rich pungent sauce which really is mouth-watering. My wife usually has vegetarian and this too is very good. We Normally don't bother with nan bread but we share a chapati and rice- all good.
All in all, a great little restaurant which is back on top form and which we're pleased to recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh
“Satisfied regular take-away customer for about 7 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have been having meals delivered regularly from Bonoful for about 7 years now. The food has been of a consistently good quality. I agree that the food isn't the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't buy or eat inferior quality food at any price.

All the speciality dishes are good. The lamb sag is simply divine and melts in the mouth, the lamb garam fry is tangily delicious, the Kathmandu murgh chicken combines lentils with gentle spices, and the sag paneer is indulgently creamy. Two curries, two side dishes and a nan, chips or rice is ample for four generous portions of fragrant, delectable indian food. They used to have a "thali" option on certain nights of the week, so it might be worth enquiring about that.

I find the staff taking the orders over the phone to be efficient, informative and polite. Delivery is normally quicker than they estimate. Having read a couple of 1* reviews describing the take-away food, I find it difficult to believe that they are reviews from genuine customers. I have had countless meals delivered, always hot, always fresh and always delicious.

I visited the restaurant once about seven years ago, before they changed the decor. I had an excellent low-price lunch (it's still only £5.95 for 2 courses), and the restaurant was clean, fresh and smart, with prompt, attentive service. The owner/manager was on hand to deal very graciously with a small issue I raised with him regarding the design of the accessible toilet. The staff were notably well dressed.

Following the restaurant's inclusion in the list magazine, it got a lot more busy, so possibly it took a bit of time to adjust, but I think that the aim is definitely to please the customers, especially the regulars.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
“Best Indian Food Yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went to the Bonoful off the cuff with another couple for their birthday.

Usually I like to look at the reviews before I go but on this occasion I am glad I didn't.

Not only are the staff very friendly but you also get a good bit of banter with them.

The place is well spaced out and the decor is cosy. There is no need to rush as you are given as much time as you want deciding on what you fancy for eating over popadoms and a selection of spiced Onions, Mango Chutney and Lime Pickle.

For starters we had Cashew Rolls, Butterfly Prawns, Murgh Chatt and Mixed Kebab. the flavours were beautiful and the meat was so fresh.

For Main we had Chicken Bhuna, Madras, Korma and Silsilay. Again everything was piping hot and fresh. Nothing was overspiced so all of the flavours could be savoured.

Desserts were also very nice and the Gulab Jamann is an interesting dish wish has to be tried.

Really nice place and I think this will become one of my midweek monthlys

• Visited October 2012